1. Joined : Mar 2016
    Utah, USA
    Posts : 32
    windows 10
       13 Aug 2016 #1

    start menu does not go away


    i click on the start icon and the start menu appears. i click on the tile for the program i want to use and the program opens, but the start menu does not go away (i have to click on it to make it go away). i think it used to disappear when the program opens. am i wrong? is there a setting i need to change?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,529
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       13 Aug 2016 #2

    Hi, it should disappear.

    Simplest way forward:
    Do you have any restore points you can use to restore your system to a recent date before this started to happen?
    Or disk or system images? (Disk imaging is something everyone should use routinely to save their PC, their data and their sanity in many cases- all without technical help).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Mar 2016
    Utah, USA
    Posts : 32
    windows 10
       13 Aug 2016 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, it should disappear.

    Simplest way forward:
    Do you have any restore points you can use to restore your system to a recent date before this started to happen?
    Or disk or system images? (Disk imaging is something everyone should use routinely to save their PC, their data and their sanity in many cases- all without technical help).
    i'm sorry to say i have never done a restore point or disk imaging. shame on me! i've only had this computer for 4 months and the problem is about 3 weeks old. any other suggestions? (i will look into the disk imaging for sure.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,529
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       13 Aug 2016 #4

    I assume you bought the PC with Win 10 and upgraded to the anniversary build.
    So for example, did the problem start after you did the upgrade?
    If not, can you think of any changes you made before the problem started?

    Note: if you upgraded more than 10 days ago, you don't have the opportunity to roll back. When did you upgrade to the anniversary build, assuming you did so?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Mar 2016
    Utah, USA
    Posts : 32
    windows 10
       13 Aug 2016 #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    I assume you bought the PC with Win 10 and upgraded to the anniversary build.
    So for example, did the problem start after you did the upgrade?
    If not, can you think of any changes you made before the problem started?

    Note: if you upgraded more than 10 days ago, you don't have the opportunity to roll back. When did you upgrade to the anniversary build, assuming you did so?
    i'm pretty sure this did start happening after i updated to the anniversary build, but i don't remember the exact date.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,529
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       13 Aug 2016 #6

    If you have Windows.old on C: you can roll back. But time is against you.. supposed to be only 10 days.
    Otherwise - and worth trying:
    - what happens in safe mode?
    - if it works there, what happens after a clean boot?
    - what happens if you create a new user for test purposes, and log in as that new user?

    Any of those working suggests a process of elimination may work.
    Also search for other experience of this of course for ideas.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Mar 2016
    Utah, USA
    Posts : 32
    windows 10
       14 Aug 2016 #7

    dalchina said: View Post
    If you have Windows.old on C: you can roll back. But time is against you.. supposed to be only 10 days.
    Otherwise - and worth trying:
    - what happens in safe mode?
    - if it works there, what happens after a clean boot?
    - what happens if you create a new user for test purposes, and log in as that new user?

    Any of those working suggests a process of elimination may work.
    Also search for other experience of this of course for ideas.
    in safe mode, the start menu acts properly. after i rebooted, it was back to not going away when it should. i'll try setting up a new user and see what happens. thanks for your help!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 453
    Windows 10 Home
       14 Aug 2016 #8

    "in safe mode, the start menu acts properly. after i rebooted, it was back to not going away when it should. i'll try setting up a new user and see what happens."

    Creating a new Local User w/o admin rights may help, if only to confirm that one of your programs is the culprit. If it works alright in safe mode, then one of your programs or drivers (not loaded in safe mode) is the issue. After you do normal reboot, if you have a 3rd party antivirus, disable it and see if that works. If not, re-enable and try disabling something you've installed recently, or the process associated with it. Good Luck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Mar 2016
    Utah, USA
    Posts : 32
    windows 10
       14 Aug 2016 #9

    mrgeek said: View Post
    "in safe mode, the start menu acts properly. after i rebooted, it was back to not going away when it should. i'll try setting up a new user and see what happens."

    Creating a new Local User w/o admin rights may help, if only to confirm that one of your programs is the culprit. If it works alright in safe mode, then one of your programs or drivers (not loaded in safe mode) is the issue. After you do normal reboot, if you have a 3rd party antivirus, disable it and see if that works. If not, re-enable and try disabling something you've installed recently, or the process associated with it. Good Luck
    i created a new user and the start menu was acting correctly. i deleted the new user account, and now whenever i boot up i have to enter in my password, which i did not have to do before and would rather not do every time. my user account is the administrator. frustrated....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Antivirus / Windows 10 / Start Menu, Metro Apps, Context menu issues
Hi I wondered if anyone out there has had a similar experience to me... For some weeks now I have had problems where the START MENU wouldn't launch, metro apps (OneDrive, Tweetium, Money, News etc) would fail to launch (just a blank window...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Solved Start Menu button right click menu fails
I have just upgraded to Win10 and most items on the "Power User Command Menu" do not work if the menu is accessed by right-clicking the Start Menu button on the Task Bar. The only items that do work are Search, Run, Shut down and Desktop. If the...
General Support
Windows 10 start menu/notification menu/metro apps not opening anymore
I am using Windows 10 for around 2 days now. But today my computer freezed while playing a game, so i restarted my computer and when i logged in, the start menu,notification menu and metro apps would not open anymore. Whats is happening?
General Support
Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?
Either the Windows 10 start menu really sucks or I am using it wrong. I am used to the StartisBack/Windows 7 menu where you can pin anything and all applications will come up in search results. In the Windows 10 menu, I can't pin anything to the...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums