Windows 10: I Want Windows 10 To Never Install Anything From Outside Of The Store

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
  1.    06 May 2015 #1

    I Want Windows 10 To Never Install Anything From Outside Of The Store


    in my extended family I'm the one they talk to when they have a problem on their PCs , most of the problems caused by trying to install a program and downloading something else (sometimes malicious) or downloading the right program but getting malware/adware installed with it (that slow-down the device or fill the browser with adds and pop-ups) . these issue are common among normal windows users and all of them caused by the lack of a trusted download source for all programs .

    now Microsoft want to solve the last part by making the Windows Store a place for win32 programs , and I really like that , now when I setup a device for a family member I want Microsoft to give me the option to choose to never allow the user to install anything from outside the store , this actually will make windows very secure and give me the peace of mind that it will work for any of my family members with no issues (and they can use the store to get any app or program) .

    I actually think this should be the default (and being by default locked to the store this will encourage the developers to put there win32 programs on the store ASAP )


    I think what I'm asking is for windows to be secure and stable for normal consumers (like Windows RT or iPad IOS) ,and now Microsoft have a chance to make it that safe and stable with Windows 10 store )

    and I posted this request at windows uservoice (you can vote for it from here )
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    06 May 2015 #2

    Qushery said: View Post
    in my extended family I'm the one they talk to when they have a problem on their PCs , most of the problems caused by trying to install a program and downloading something else (sometimes malicious) or downloading the right program but getting malware/adware installed with it (that slow-down the device or fill the browser with adds and pop-ups) . these issue are common among normal windows users and all of them caused by the lack of a trusted download source for all programs .

    now Microsoft want to solve the last part by making the Windows Store a place for win32 programs , and I really like that , now when I setup a device for a family member I want Microsoft to give me the option to choose to never allow the user to install anything from outside the store , this actually will make windows very secure and give me the peace of mind that it will work for any of my family members with no issues (and they can use the store to get any app or program) .

    I actually think this should be the default (and being by default locked to the store this will encourage the developers to put there win32 programs on the store ASAP )


    I think what I'm asking is for windows to be secure and stable for normal consumers (like Windows RT or iPad IOS) ,and now Microsoft have a chance to make it that safe and stable with Windows 10 store )

    and I posted this request at windows uservoice (you can vote for it from here )
    As with the Apple Store both Microsoft and Apple are basically shooting for this idea of yours. It is one that I too would like to see across all platforms. . .. Oh by the way that is with regular apps and Win Store apps (for those who are about to state that they will never, ever, no matter what use a Win Store App. ..)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 May 2015 #3

    Lee said: View Post
    As with the Apple Store both Microsoft and Apple are basically shooting for this idea of yours. It is one that I too would like to see across all platforms. . .. Oh by the way that is with regular apps and Win Store apps (for those who are about to state that they will never, ever, no matter what use a Win Store App. ..)
    exactly , I only suggested this because now microsoft can have real win32 apps on the store

    I think this will be a huge gain for windows , since all of it's problems (adware , malware ,viruses and apps lftover junk..etc) are all installed by the user himself , so if it's locked to the store by default normal users will not face all these problems .

    apple already did that with mac os
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 901
    Windows IP 16199 Windows 14393.1198
       06 May 2015 #4

    Qushery said: View Post
    in my extended family I'm the one they talk to when they have a problem on their PCs , most of the problems caused by trying to install a program and downloading something else (sometimes malicious) or downloading the right program but getting malware/adware installed with it (that slow-down the device or fill the browser with adds and pop-ups) . these issue are common among normal windows users and all of them caused by the lack of a trusted download source for all programs .

    now Microsoft want to solve the last part by making the Windows Store a place for win32 programs , and I really like that , now when I setup a device for a family member I want Microsoft to give me the option to choose to never allow the user to install anything from outside the store , this actually will make windows very secure and give me the peace of mind that it will work for any of my family members with no issues (and they can use the store to get any app or program) .

    I actually think this should be the default (and being by default locked to the store this will encourage the developers to put there win32 programs on the store ASAP )


    I think what I'm asking is for windows to be secure and stable for normal consumers (like Windows RT or iPad IOS) ,and now Microsoft have a chance to make it that safe and stable with Windows 10 store )

    and I posted this request at windows uservoice (you can vote for it from here )
    I have to install everything from outside of Win Stores as there are no useful Apps for me in there
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 May 2015 #5

    I would hate windows being locked to only getting programs from the store

    Especially if its like the Mac App store from last time I checked
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 May 2015 #6

    Qushery said: View Post

    I think what I'm asking is for windows to be secure and stable for normal consumers (like Windows RT or iPad IOS) ,and now Microsoft have a chance to make it that safe and stable with Windows 10 store )

    and I posted this request at windows uservoice (you can vote for it from here )
    You can use Group Policy to define which kinds of apps can and can't be installed. Unfortunately, you need to be using the Enterprise version to get AppLocker, which provides the nice UI to manage the app store.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    06 May 2015 #7

    Quick question. Malwares, viruses and other threats can be distributed via store or not? Is it so safe?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       06 May 2015 #8

    Qushery said: View Post
    in my extended family I'm the one they talk to when they have a problem on their PCs , most of the problems caused by trying to install a program and downloading something else (sometimes malicious) or downloading the right program but getting malware/adware installed with it (that slow-down the device or fill the browser with adds and pop-ups) . these issue are common among normal windows users and all of them caused by the lack of a trusted download source for all programs .

    now Microsoft want to solve the last part by making the Windows Store a place for win32 programs , and I really like that , now when I setup a device for a family member I want Microsoft to give me the option to choose to never allow the user to install anything from outside the store , this actually will make windows very secure and give me the peace of mind that it will work for any of my family members with no issues (and they can use the store to get any app or program) .

    I actually think this should be the default (and being by default locked to the store this will encourage the developers to put there win32 programs on the store ASAP )


    I think what I'm asking is for windows to be secure and stable for normal consumers (like Windows RT or iPad IOS) ,and now Microsoft have a chance to make it that safe and stable with Windows 10 store )

    and I posted this request at windows uservoice (you can vote for it from here )
    That wouldn't work for a lot of program that person might want. Here are some programs people use but wouldn't be able to get at the store. Quicktime for windows, Libreoffice for windows, openoffice for windows, 7zip, Free Avg, Free Avast (I would use major geeks to download not Cnet), Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, facebook programs (Some play games that is not malware). If you don't own the computer, people would hate it if a tech locked out the computer they owned. You forgot, if you locked them to just the store, the system wouldn't be able to get windows updates. I use open source software. Html5 is just starting, so it going to take awhile before flash is not needed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    06 May 2015 #9

    Every one of those apps could be distributed through the store. (That doesn't mean they will, but they could be). You seem to be confusing the store with Windows Universal Apps. More than just Universal apps can be distributed through the store.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    06 May 2015 #10

    If that ever happened, enterprise might as well drop Windows entirely. It'd take away the one advantage that Windows still has over iOS and Android. If you have to use a built-in store, you might as well use the more mature ones.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I've tried installing multiple apps and The Weather Channel app will go through the motions of installing, but won't actually install (I get the install button again after it says it installed). For the rest of the apps that I tried installing,...
I know that in Win 8.1 you can use your local account, go to the MS Store and install applications by simply selecting the app and installing it. At most, the system will want you to validate using your MSA, but not insist on switching your account...
I installed Excel and Word on Monday. Each is app is available as a separate download not like the desktop version where you can install the whole Office package at once. Word was working fine Monday but last night wasn't working and it referred me...
Source...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:09.
Find Us