2 computer problems HELP newbie here


  1. Posts : 6
    windows 10
       #1

    2 computer problems HELP newbie here


    Iam a newbie. I have 2 problems. I got Windows 10 iam trying to do a system reset to windows 8 my original when i got this laptop, with no luck. I have went the correct ways for reset. This is exactly what it says, i tried to do a screenshot, it wont show that screenshot ( unable to do reset part of the drive partion is missing ) whatever that means. Then it shows button
    ( cancel ) It first says on reset, wipe the drive clean. All files and apps will be lost, everything.
    Thats no problem at all. I have everthing on my Flashdrive.
    My 2nd problem is this i cant get in ( safe mode ) i tried this and no luck.
    Windows+R ( msconfig )--boot tab--checked safe boot-- options are ( restart--start later ) i clicked restart--no safe mode.
    I do have a screenshot of this. Like i say i understand about 1/2 of computer things, no more than that.
    Thanks Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 computer problems HELP newbie here-safe-mode.png  
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,204
    Windows 11 Pro 64bit
       #2

    I had that error when I was in safe mode so imp you are in safe mode.
    Was the device upgraded from Win 8 recently - last 30 days? If so then you can return via the restore option>Settings>Update & security>Recovery go back to previous version of Windows.
    If you have Windows 8 recovery media then you can also use that, back up your files & folders though first as it'll do a clean install.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,252
    Windows 11 Pro
       #3

    System resets back to the factory OS often times requires multiple recovery partitions that were designed by the manufacturer to all be used by their software. For example, their software might run programs in one recovery partition that start the reset process which then restores the computer from recovery files located in another partition. Built-in Windows reset just doesn't have that capability built into it.

    Right now you pretty much have two options: if system restore disc(s) and/or a flash drive came with your computer (doubtful) or you created restore disc(s)/drives using the manufacturers software you can boot from the that and restore the factory software.

    Or you can create a Windows 8.1 only installation USB flash drive or DVD and boot the computer from that to clean install Windows 8.1. Then you might have to get drivers from the computer manufacturers website and install them to make some hardware work. The easiest way to get the ISO file to make the USB flash drive or DVD from is here:
    Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

    That little tool just runs scripts from Microsoft websites that downloads the ISO files directly from Microsoft websites. Using the ISO file from Microsoft will restore Windows only, it will not restore any extra software that the manufacturer did originally.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 6
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Doctor9fan said:
    I had that error when I was in safe mode so imp you are in safe mode.
    Was the device upgraded from Win 8 recently - last 30 days? If so then you can return via the restore option>Settings>Update & security>Recovery go back to previous version of Windows.
    If you have Windows 8 recovery media then you can also use that, back up your files & folders though first as it'll do a clean install.
    Thank You
    Doctor9fan i hope this info helps. But if you need better info, please tell me? I got this laptop about 2 years ago. I originally got it with ( Windows 8 ) i then upgraded to ( 8.1 ) i then just last week got so many updates. I even was set to ( automatic updates ) 136 one day and 172 the very next day. I never had much of a choice getting Windows 10 some like 10 and some dont. Its peoples choice,s i think. I myself dont like 10 but i dont really like 8 my prefferance is 8.1 if i can get there. But 8 will work for me. Thanks Chuck
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,204
    Windows 11 Pro 64bit
       #5

    If the upgrade was automatically downloaded & installed last week then you're still under the 30 day limit, the info given in my previous post will confirm or deny that, if you have the ability to go back to the previous version then do so, you'll have to do it before you get the anniversary update as that'll remove that & offer to return you to the previous version of Win 10.
    If you have the Win 8 disc or recovery media you can use that to return. If you have the key then you could download Win 8 & install that way.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,252
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    Doctor9fan said:
    If you have the key then you could download Win 8 & install that way.
    A 2 year old laptop that came from the factory with Windows 8 installed probably has the Windows 8 product key stored in BIOS/UEFI.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 6
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    reset


    Doctor9fan said:
    If the upgrade was automatically downloaded & installed last week then you're still under the 30 day limit, the info given in my previous post will confirm or deny that, if you have the ability to go back to the previous version then do so, you'll have to do it before you get the anniversary update as that'll remove that & offer to return you to the previous version of Win 10.
    If you have the Win 8 disc or recovery media you can use that to return. If you have the key then you could download Win 8 & install that way.

    I dont have any media that i got with the laptop, as i dont have CD/DVD player on here. Iam thinking i seen, reg key number on the bottom of the laptop. Any ideas for me to get back to 8?

    I have did alot of searching on this subject. What most say there gettting the same exact thing i am, missing partion to reset, cant restore, cant get safe mode. Thanks Chuck
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,252
    Windows 11 Pro
       #8

    chuckracer said:
    Any ideas for me to get back to 8?
    Run showkey plus from this forum, see what it shows for product keys:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

    Then as offered earlier:

    NavyLCDR said:
    Or you can create a Windows 8.1 only installation USB flash drive or DVD and boot the computer from that to clean install Windows 8.1. Then you might have to get drivers from the computer manufacturers website and install them to make some hardware work. The easiest way to get the ISO file to make the USB flash drive or DVD from is here:
    Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

    That little tool just runs scripts from Microsoft websites that downloads the ISO files directly from Microsoft websites. Using the ISO file from Microsoft will restore Windows only, it will not restore any extra software that the manufacturer did originally.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 6
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    I downloaded this free program ( Mini Tool Data Recovery ) it did replace the lost recovery partition. I can do ( restore ) just fine. My goal is to do ( reset ) i cant do that or, refresh it says Windows is locked, unlock it and try again. Iam a newbie, i have no idea how to unlock this.
    When i first got this laptop about 2 years ago, it had originaly had ( Windows 8 ) i now have ( Windows 10 ) not my choice of course. Some may like 10 and thats fine. Myself i preffer 8.1 is all. How to get back to 8 or 8.1 that is tough for me.
    I did alot of checking on this. ( You Tube or Search ) i read the same old thing, install your factory recovery CD in. I have no kind of media ( CD or USB ) i dont have a CD/DVD drive. Sure you can wipe the computer, and install a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 for around a $100.00 but when your in a rest home paying $3000.00 a month just to be here. That extra $$$$ isnt possible and it shouldnt be. Please help me, my computer skills arent good. Thanks Chuck
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums