Is there a way to stop Microsoft spying without turning off Cortana?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 69
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1

    Is there a way to stop Microsoft spying without turning off Cortana?


    So the question is in the title. Right from the start of Windows 10 Cortana was one of my favourite features but then the Web started to fill up with articles saying that Cortana is a Microsoft tool that sends all your data to them and the only way to stop them is by turning it off. I've been using third party software such as W10Privacy to keep me safe but I still don't feel that way. So is there anything I can do to stop all the spyware without getting rid off my digital assistant?
      My Computer

  2. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,661
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #2

    You can not have both, you can try to compromise, but Cortana needs your personal info in order to work.

    Cortana and privacy

    BTW, if you disable DiagTrack service, which is the core of privacy leaks, Cortana, Store, MS account fail to work properly.
      My Computer

  3. lopedoggie's Avatar
    Posts : 467
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit v1803 build 17133.73
       #3

    There are registry hacks that work but, you will shut down cortana doing so. Sorry. The way it is.
      My Computer

  4. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,063
    Windows 10
       #4

    zablablukas said:
    So the question is in the title. Right from the start of Windows 10 Cortana was one of my favourite features but then the Web started to fill up with articles saying that Cortana is a Microsoft tool that sends all your data to them and the only way to stop them is by turning it off. I've been using third party software such as W10Privacy to keep me safe but I still don't feel that way. So is there anything I can do to stop all the spyware without getting rid off my digital assistant?
    K, it's not spying, for Pete's sake!

    If you ask Cortana to send your buddy Mike, (for example), an email, then MS needs to store that information.
    If you don't want MS storing that information then call Mike on the telephone!
      My Computer

  5. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,341
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #5

    Edwin said:
    K, it's not spying, for Pete's sake!

    If you ask Cortana to send your buddy Mike, (for example), an email, then MS needs to store that information.
    If you don't want MS storing that information then call Mike on the telephone!
    And than the telephone will store that data !!
      My Computers

  6. DeaconFrost's Avatar
    Posts : 1,363
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #6

    I'd love to know why or where people are getting their information...to make them feel "unsafe" using Windows 10, but completely safe with any other device, like a smartphone, constantly connected to the internet.
      My Computer

  7. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 3,928
    Windows 10 Pro x64 2004 - 19041 - 264 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       #7

    The why is quite simple - It makes your website more valuable to advertisers if it is visited by more people. Bad news attracts more people that good, so unscrupulous people make up false News to attract more people and therefore sell more advertising
      My Computers

  8. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,341
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #8

    Barman58 said:
    The why is quite simple - It makes your website more valuable to advertisers if it is visited by more people. Bad news attracts more people that good, so unscrupulous people make up false News to attract more people and therefore sell more advertising
    Right, I can see a lot of Click-bait articles around. Judging by the comments on them it's good thing internet is in between, otherwise blood would be on the streets.
      My Computers

  9. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    I have often thought what is it that makes people think they are so important that they believe MS has people hired to spy on them? That their importance is on such a high level that all their keystrokes, personal information and such is stored and analysed.

    Why do people rather believe unconfirmed bad news and rumours than confirmed facts?
      My Computer

  10. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,341
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #10

    Kari said:
    I have often thought what is it that makes people think they are so important that they believe MS has people hired to spy on them? That their importance is on such a high level that all their keystrokes, personal information and such is stored and analysed.

    Why do people rather believe unconfirmed bad news and rumours than confirmed facts?
    Because it's more interesting ? Many are still disputing holocaust, moon landings and hunt for Hitler is still afoot.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:04.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums