1. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 pro x64
       31 Jul 2016 #1

    File Explorer search not working


    Hi,
    I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.
    The search in the task bar seems to be working perfectly but the search bar in file explorer does not display any results.
    I tried rebuilding, modifying the indices but still no change.

    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	93137
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	93136
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	93135

    Thanks in Advance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,553
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       31 Jul 2016 #2

    Hi, you might try this:

    Fix search does not work in PC Settings app in Windows 10

    https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/26645-file-explorer-search-not-working.html
    See #9, #10

    Try searching the forum for more threads
    search not working

    Notes:
    1. Explorer search should work slowly for non-indexed items, fast for indexed items. So rebuilding the index or changing the indexed locations is not likely to be the issue. And beware- part of the default settings is necessary for search in Settings to work.
    2. Cortana (task bar box) search - did you use 'My Stuff'? That searches what's on disk - but only searches what's indexed last I tried it.
    3. FYI: explorer search supports a search syntax - info on internet.
    Last edited by dalchina; 31 Jul 2016 at 09:47.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 pro x64
       31 Jul 2016 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, you might try this:

    Fix search does not work in PC Settings app in Windows 10

    https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/26645-file-explorer-search-not-working.html
    See #9, #10

    Try searching the forum for more threads
    search not working

    Notes:
    1. Explorer search should work slowly for non-indexed items, fast for indexed items. Do rebuilding the index or changing the indexed locations is not likely to be the issue. And beware- part of the default settings is necessary for search in Settings to work.
    2. Cortana (task bar box) search - did you use 'My Stuff'? That searches what's on disk - but only searches what's indexed last I tried it.
    3. FYI: explorer search supports a search syntax - info on internet.
    Thanks for the fast response, dalchina.
    1. As in the third img every folder and sub folder is indexed. I rebuilt the index thrice but still no change.
    2. Yes. I disabled web search.

    No that thread didnn't help fix the problem. Is there any other hot fix.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 215
    Windows 10 Home
       31 Jul 2016 #4

    I just use Everything search. It's way better than Windows search.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,553
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       31 Jul 2016 #5

    Grim94 said: View Post
    Thanks for the fast response, dalchina.
    1. As in the third img every folder and sub folder is indexed. I rebuilt the index thrice but still no change.
    2. Yes. I disabled web search.

    No that thread didnn't help fix the problem. Is there any other hot fix.
    As before, please confirm My Stuff search works properly for you within the limits of what's indexed.

    I completely agree with TrustMe - explorer search other than simple cases can be relatively slow, sometimes unreliable (apparently) and you may need to use Advanced search syntax to achieve your goals.

    I use Locate32 (freeware) - operates on the same basis as Everything - fast index, maintained, of ALL file/folder names on ALL partitions- find-as-you-type, specification of size, date range, extensions etc etc and search syntax too. Also supports searching found text files as an extra.

    Everything has a modern GUI and is maintained.

    However, you don't want sthg broken related to explorer...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 pro x64
       31 Jul 2016 #6

    dalchina said: View Post
    As before, please confirm My Stuff search works properly for you within the limits of what's indexed.

    I completely agree with TrustMe - explorer search other than simple cases can be relatively slow, sometimes unreliable (apparently) and you may need to use Advanced search syntax to achieve your goals.

    I use Locate32 (freeware) - operates on the same basis as Everything - fast index, maintained, of ALL file/folder names on ALL partitions- find-as-you-type, specification of size, date range, extensions etc etc and search syntax too. Also supports searching found text files as an extra.

    Everything has a modern GUI and is maintained.

    However, you don't want sthg broken related to explorer...
    The cortana search(my stuff) in the task bar finds all indexed files perfectly
    The problem is on the search bar within the file explorer next to address bar. Please refer to the second img. I searched the string "project" but no action takes place.
    It is not a major setback. I thought some minor registry tweak might fix the problem.

    Sorry for the inconvenience
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,553
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       31 Jul 2016 #7

    Hi, try the search troubleshooter:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-07-31 at 18.33.04.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	93229

    (My Win 10 will look a bit different as I use Aeroglass and coloured backgrounds via a reg fix and Qttabbar)

    It will be interesting to verify search in Settings works.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jan 2017
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10 pro 64bit
       2 Days Ago #8

    I had some issues searching on a Windows 2008R2 share on the network, but i guess it also applies to local directories.

    With Windows 7 Explorer you can search for e.g. "123" (without quotes) and you will find a filename "8765_1234.xls" with Windows 10 i couldn´t find the same file in the same directory
    If you enter a wildcard in front of the search-string it worked.
    Searching for "*123" (without quotes) will show you the file "8765_1234.xls"
    Hope this helps
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Explorer search not working with additional HD
I have tried to rebulid the index multiple times and it still will not work. when I go into a folder containing music and try to search and artist it always says "No Items Match Your Search" This is a second hard drive added to my computer for...
General Support
Solved File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working
Hello, The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's...
General Support
Solved File explorer search history is not clearing
Hi I have gone through all the steps in the following thread, but my file search history is not clearing or updating. Search terms clear, but the old search reappears with deleted files on it. Search History in File Explorer - Clear in...
Performance & Maintenance
File Explorer Search: Results not opening
When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: 71513 After search for "Get" 71512 Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed....
General Support
Solved File Explorer Search Not Working
Recently, I have observed the Search feature of the File Explorer does not work (e.g., No items match your search). The folders I'm searching are indexed. I've tried rebuilding the index. I can even drill down to a folder I know contains the sought...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums