"reboot and select proper boot device" after fresh install

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #1

    "reboot and select proper boot device" after fresh install


    Long story short: upgraded from W7 to W10.
    Decided to have a clean start and made a wipe.
    Always got the error 0xc0000225 when booting, except when the installation USB was plugged-in.
    So decided to take on a full wipe: deleted all partitions and reformatted everything.
    Installed W10 from scratch again.
    Now, every time I boot I get the "reboot and select proper boot device".
    Funny thing, though, is that if enter BIOS and go to "Override Boot" (an option that allows me to boot from any available recognized media) and choose the SSD where W10 is installed... everything works just fine.
    Already checked BIOS booting priorities (SSD is first and only), and I have Secure Boot off (so that my handy flash-drive is available to save the day).
    I'd appreciate any insight into this problem.
    Thanks in advance!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 14,603
    Windows 10 IoT
       #2

    I can boot from my Windows 10 install media, USB thumb drive or SD card, with secure boot enabled? What is on your "flash drive"? If your PC has UEFI, the boot menu option should say "Windows boot manager on (drive descriptor)". It's something like that. I'm on my legacy BIOS desktop PC at the moment, and I think its listed different for legacy BIOS.. I'd have to reboot to confirm but I'm in the middle of a big file transfer, just now.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 408
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    Cyberz said:
    Funny thing, though, is that if enter BIOS and go to "Override Boot" (an option that allows me to boot from any available recognized media) and choose the SSD where W10 is installed... everything works just fine.
    That would immediately suggest that your list of boot devices in BIOS for "normal" boot simply does not include the proper SSD.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    AndreyT said:
    That would immediately suggest that your list of boot devices in BIOS for "normal" boot simply does not include the proper SSD.
    I understand your logic.
    But that is not what is happening.
    See.
    "reboot and select proper boot device" after fresh install-prior.jpg
    It simply won't go.

    On the other hand, if I take this path... brings me to W10 from where I'm posting
    "reboot and select proper boot device" after fresh install-overide.jpg
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    alphanumeric said:
    I can boot from my Windows 10 install media, USB thumb drive or SD card, with secure boot enabled? What is on your "flash drive"? If your PC has UEFI, the boot menu option should say "Windows boot manager on (drive descriptor)". It's something like that. I'm on my legacy BIOS desktop PC at the moment, and I think its listed different for legacy BIOS.. I'd have to reboot to confirm but I'm in the middle of a big file transfer, just now.
    My flash drive has the win10 iso, downloaded from the MS website.
    I've got UEFI, but there is no such option on the boot menu.
    When I had just upgraded from W7 I'm sure I had this option. But since I redid everything from zero, there is no such option.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 14,603
    Windows 10 IoT
       #6

    Your original upgrade would have been a legacy install. Did you do a UEFI install when you did the clean install?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3,682
    Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit 21H2
       #7

    You can do a UEFI install by creating a UEFI Bootable Flash drive using your Windows 10 ISO, and Rufus, in my signature.How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8 | Next of Windows
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    alphanumeric said:
    Your original upgrade would have been a legacy install. Did you do a UEFI install when you did the clean install?
    Not that I'm aware of.
    For that it would be needed for me to flash it, wouldn't it?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 14,603
    Windows 10 IoT
       #9

    Cyberz said:
    My flash drive has the win10 iso, downloaded from the MS website.
    I've got UEFI, but there is no such option on the boot menu.
    When I had just upgraded from W7 I'm sure I had this option. But since I redid everything from zero, there is no such option.
    To get the UEFI install option, secure boot must be enabled, and in most cases, the thumb drive must be formatted in fat 32 file system.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 14,603
    Windows 10 IoT
       #10

    Cyberz said:
    Not that I'm aware of.
    For that it would be needed for me to flash it, wouldn't it?
    No, the BIOs is either UEFI or its legacy, flashing it won't change that. If it is UEFI, it needs to be setup correctly to do a UEFI install.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums