1.    09 Jul 2016 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10-Version 1703 OS Build 15063.483

    Ongoing problem with freeze up on mostly windows programs.


    A couple of weeks ago I posted this question and asked for help. [I had some files on my Softmaker office program that I wanted to put copies of on my desktop for easy access while I was working on a project. Instead of those few (a dozen or so) it pet all of them on and it seems it also put all the program files on also. I wound ip with over 400 files in the the desktop program although the actual desktop screen did not change.Itried several ways to undo it like deleting them to recycle but that did not work. I tried to do a System Restore but that would not work because one file (Bitdefender) would not allow it, evidently. I went to System Restore and tried to reconfigure but lost all restore points. Now many of Apps on the Start screen won't work, And if I access one the Start screen won't open again until I restart the computer. Internet Explorer and other programs wont work right if at all. can anyone Help.]
    I was able to get things working, sort of. Now I am able to access all programs and apps but it seems if I linger too long they freeze up,. That happens mostly with windows apps & programs but lately it seems others are sometimes affected. For a while I was getting a message when I shut down or restarted. "Task Host window is stopping background task" Then It gives me options to: CANCEL or SHUT DOWN ANYWAY.
    Windows seems to be very busy because when I go to the Task Manager things are near maximum for the CPU, Memory and Disk percentages
    I am dreading having to wipe the computer and reinstall everything. Is there any way for me to find out what is causing the problem and correct it or, just correct it because the problem may not be knowable !......Logman
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 Jul 2016 #2
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 8,933
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

    If I correctly understand your post above (of what have you done before - copying program files to your desktop and then delete them) then I wonder how your system is still running at all.

    If you were professional, I guess you could get your system to run perfect again, but I would recommend clean install. Why would you go through painful cleaning of system and restoring it, if there is certain solution?

    Make backup of you documents, pictures, and any project that you are working on and make clean install.

    If you don't want to, for start run sfc /scannow in elevated command prompt and look for any problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Jul 2016 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10-Version 1703 OS Build 15063.483
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreTen View Post
    If I correctly understand your post above (of what have you done before - copying program files to your desktop and then delete them) then I wonder how your system is still running at all.

    If you were professional, I guess you could get your system to run perfect again, but I would recommend clean install. Why would you go through painful cleaning of system and restoring it, if there is certain solution?

    Make backup of you documents, pictures, and any project that you are working on and make clean install.

    If you don't want to, for start run sfc /scannow in elevated command prompt and look for any problems.

    Andre, I was not clear in my original post. The files were not program files they were files of a project I was working on in the Textmaker part of Softmaker Office. You are right, I am not a professional so any solution is a painful for me. If I don't get any better sugestions I'll do what you suggest. Thanks for your helpful response. ......Logman
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Jul 2016 #4
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 8,933
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

    Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    Andre, I was not clear in my original post. The files were not program files they were files of a project I was working on in the Textmaker part of Softmaker Office. You are right, I am not a professional so any solution is a painful for me. If I don't get any better sugestions I'll do what you suggest. Thanks for your helpful response. ......Logman
    OK, so fresh Windows install is not necessary.

    Start with checking if system is OK. Run command prompt (elevated - as an administrator) and type sfc /scannow (here are tutorials)

    If there are any problems with system files, command will report.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Jul 2016 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10-Version 1703 OS Build 15063.483
    Thread Starter

    Got it, Thanks Andre. That's what I will do. I can still operate Windows enough to finish my project. So, when the project is finished I will follow those tutorials and avoid a fresh Windows install if possible. Either way I will let you know the results...... Thanks Again You Have Been A Big Help !!...........Logman

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreTen View Post
    OK, so fresh Windows install is not necessary.

    Start with checking if system is OK. Run command prompt (elevated - as an administrator) and type sfc /scannow (here are tutorials)

    If there are any problems with system files, command will report.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Freeze Problem
It's a freeze that's happening, not a BSOD, so sorry if this is the wrong area. I'll gladly post it in the appropriate area if someone could tell me where it is (I looked but couldn't find one). I've been experiencing freezes and BSODs over the...
Performance & Maintenance
Ongoing Problem with PC Freezing/Crashing
I have an HP Pavilion 500-123a PC running Windows 10 which has been freezing and crashing frequently. I have attempted several diagnostic and fix options about which I have posted to this forum before, though the difficulty thus far is...
Performance & Maintenance
Ongoing Problem with PC Freezing/Crashing
I have an HP Pavilion 500-123a PC running Windows 10 which has been freezing and crashing frequently. I have attempted several diagnostic and fix options about which I have posted to this forum before, though the difficulty thus far is...
General Support
ongoing issues
I did the upgrade from 7 to 10. Had issues and contacted microsoft help. Tech said I needed to create a new profile which they did for me. My start button works in my old profile but I can't access my files there. If I switch profiles to the new...
General Support
Pc freeze problem
So this started like last week where i get these small lags when my pc freezes for like 1-3 seconds. It can happen when i play games or just browsing. It happens probably like 2 times every hour. This is a problem for me because when i play csgo and...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums