Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    08 Jul 2016 #1
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 19
    window10

    Win10 and win 7 question


    I just purchased a new computer with Win10
    I can access my old win 7 drive using a external storage system (Eagle Corsus)
    Can I run win 7 and the programs I have on that drive from my new computer?
    I have Office 2003 on the old drive but I can't install Office 2003 on Win10.
    For some unknown reason Win10 keeps reporting that I entered a wrong Product Key when I know it worked on Win 7.
    My Office 2003 is a professional disk so it has no limit on the number of computers it will run on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 Jul 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Roehrle View Post
    Can I run win 7 and the programs I have on that drive from my new computer?
    If you can find Windows 7 drivers for the hardware in the new computer you can.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roehrle View Post
    I have Office 2003 on the old drive but I can't install Office 2003 on Win10.
    For some unknown reason Win10 keeps reporting that I entered a wrong Product Key when I know it worked on Win 7.
    My Office 2003 is a professional disk so it has no limit on the number of computers it will run on.
    I would call Microsoft and see what is wrong with your Office 2003 product key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Jul 2016 #3
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,344
    Mac OS Sierra

    Office 2003 is no longer allowed to be activated. Only 2007 to 2016/365 can be activated. Anything else that you are running on Windows 7 may or may not work. Only you will find out by trial and error.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Jul 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Los Angeles
    Posts : 1,089
    Windows 10 Pro

    You cannot run Widows from an External USB drive. You can however, run your programs from that drive as they still have access to the Windows Registry on the Windows 7 system.
    It is time to update Office, 2003 is 13 years ago.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Jul 2016 #5
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 19
    window10
    Thread Starter

    There isn't any question that Office 2003 will work on win10 because I had it working on my computer with win10. As to time to get a new Office , you must be a stock holder. There are scores of people who prefer Office 2003 to the new version. If you are interested I can give you a link where people talk about how they love their 2003 version of Office. To them it's the the best version of Office yet. To make more money MS keeps putting out new version with lots of stuff people don't need. I'll get 2003 to work some how because I know it can work.
    MS may stop supporting versions but the programs will still work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Jul 2016 #6
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,378
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Roehrle View Post
    There isn't any question that Office 2003 will work on win10 because I had it working on my computer with win10. As to time to get a new Office , you must be a stock holder. There are scores of people who prefer Office 2003 to the new version. If you are interested I can give you a link where people talk about how they love their 2003 version of Office. To them it's the the best version of Office yet. To make more money MS keeps putting out new version with lots of stuff people don't need. I'll get 2003 to work some how because I know it can work.
    MS may stop supporting versions but the programs will still work.
    People love old cars but they are still usually crap in performance and especially safety features compared to modern cars. Old versions of office have more security holes than swiss cheese.

    In any case, first time you get some important work and sent some office files you cannot open, then you would have to upgrade.

    I used have used Word since it initial release way back in time, and frankly old versions are not a patch on the modern versions. Even 2010 feels dated compared with 2016.

    Some things are worth spending money on to upgrade - Office is definitely one of them.

    You can always create a virtual hard drive or virtual machine with windows 7 just to run a really dated version of office.

    If you only want to use the basic 2003 features, you would be better off instaling a free word clone like Libre Office which is guaranteed to work on Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    09 Jul 2016 #7
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 19
    window10
    Thread Starter

    I recently D/led Open Office and it seems to read my programs but won't operate the macro's. I have used the lowest protection but they still won't work.
    Last edited by Roehrle; 09 Jul 2016 at 12:40.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Jul 2016 #8
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,378
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Roehrle View Post
    I recently D/led Open Office and it seems to read my programs put won't operate the micro's. I have used the lowest protection but they still won't work.
    Libre Office is better.

    No idea what you are talking about in sentence above!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    09 Jul 2016 #9
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 19
    window10
    Thread Starter

    Sorry.. I should have written Macro's , not micro's
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    09 Jul 2016 #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,378
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Roehrle View Post
    Sorry.. I should have written Macro's , not micro's
    Ah - sorry I should have realised. Cannot help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
[Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot
I was running Win10 and partitioned off 25gb for Vista because I needed older OS to run some software. Anyhow, now I'm not sure how the hell I boot back to my main partition, because the Vista partition as taken seniority over the main partition. ...
Installation and Upgrade
Memory Stik Question/Clean install Win10
I originally upgraded my Win 7 64b to win 10. Had issues, so downloaded the Media Creation Tool and installed a clean Win 10. I messed up the password question and enabled the password and couldn't get it resolved so decided to reinstall again. I...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Old Windows files after installing Win10 Question.
Has anyone deleted the old Windows program files,after installing Win10?
Performance & Maintenance
OEM Win10 licence & system language question.
Hey guys. Should be a quick one. So, today, my mom purchased herself a brand new Dell laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. However, Windows 10 is English and she mostly speak French. Now, I plan to purchase an SSD and switch out the 1TB spinner...
General Support
Question About Free Upgrade To Win10
I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:38.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums