The On/Off button conundrum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,808
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #21

    nigelmercier said:
    Agreed about the top one. The bottom can also be interpreted as "slide right to turn off"
    Exactly.

    MS could have done something like this.

    The On/Off button conundrum-switches-01.png

    After one of the preview builds last year (pre-b10586) some people were stating that all of their Privacy settings had been reset to, "broadcast all of your info to anyone who wants it".

    When I checked my App Privacy settings I was confronted with a list of B&W buttons.
    I had to toggle one to check what it was indicating (my Privacy settings hadn't been reset).
      My Computer

  2. Phone Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,169
    Windows 10 Pro 1903 64 bit
       #22

    Take a look at a standard light switch in your home.

    The On and Off imprint on the switch shows the current condition of the light.
    If I flip this switch up to Off it will turn the light On.



    The On/Off button conundrum-light-switch.jpgThe On/Off button conundrum-o-clean-light-switch-facebook.jpg

    Jim
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 105
    windows 10 pro
       #23

    I see where the original poster I coming from , you just have to change the way you think about this set up and stick by it . Be glad we don't have to click apply after making changes (iphone style) .

    PS That's a strange way to have a light switch ,upside down .
      My Computer

  4. nigelmercier's Avatar
    Posts : 436
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #24

    tamo said:
    PS That's a strange way to have a light switch ,upside down .
    It is the rest of the world that has light switches upside down, the US way is more sensible. For a start "up" relates to a logical "1" but also it is safer, hanging something on it turns it off.

    However, the switch analogy is irrelevant as it doesn't afford the user to slide or move the switch towards the legend.
      My Computer

  5. paulsalter's Avatar
    Posts : 22,962
    Windows 10
       #25

    How many people can honestly say they look at a light switch and say "It's up I must move the switch down to turn the light off" or vice versa

    If it's dark, alter the switch the opposite direction to turn the light on
    Same with Windows, if its dull toggle it to on

    Dull=Off, Highlighted=On and a status on the right of what its set to

    I really cannot see where the confusion lies
      My Computer

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 47,426
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #26

    paulsalter said:
    How many people can honestly say they look at a light switch and say "It's up I must move the switch down to turn the light off" or vice versa

    If it's dark, alter the switch the opposite direction to turn the light on
    Same with Windows, if its dull toggle it to on

    Dull=Off, Highlighted=On and a status on the right of what its set to

    I really cannot see where the confusion lies
    Thank God MS doesn't have any 3-way light switches!!

    On-off-maybe ????
      My Computers


  7. RWOne's Avatar
    Posts : 493
    Windows 10 Pro (Mix of Builds) / Linux Mint
       #27

    Phone Man said:
    Take a look at a standard light switch in your home.

    The On and Off imprint on the switch shows the current condition of the light.
    If I flip this switch up to Off it will turn the light On.



    The On/Off button conundrum-light-switch.jpgThe On/Off button conundrum-o-clean-light-switch-facebook.jpg

    Jim
    Not all light switches have imprints, hopefully the OP's does.
      My Computer

  8. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 4,359
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1909 Build 18363.535 and W10 Insider Ver 2004 Build 19536
       #28

    f14tomcat said:
    Thank God MS doesn't have any 3-way light switches!!

    On-off-maybe ????
    Don't give them ideas! The new Group Policy editor could have them: enabled, disabled and not-configured. The not-configured would have the dot in the middle.
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums