Windows 10: Fonts getting uninstalled after restart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    03 Jul 2016 #1

    Fonts getting uninstalled after restart


    I recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Eversince, I am facing the trouble of fonts. Fonts are disappearing all of a sudden when I restart. My applications fail to run if I do not re install the font after my computer has restarted. I ran sfc /scannow command in safe mode and it found some errors and fixed it. After that when I restarted my PC, the font problem came again. My fonts (more than 2500 fonts) disappeared and I was left with some 20-25 fonts in windows.

    I did a windows repair install via a bootable USB using an ISO image. Shockingly when my windows installation reached 75% approximately, the PC restarted and all the fonts during installation went to wingdings as seen in the image below. Even after that the problem stays.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5lYMnXY.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	482.3 KB 
ID:	88043


    Please help me to fix this trouble.

    I also did enable default font settings but the problem is still there. Of course, this issue will be solved if I do a clean windows 10 installation, but I don't want the pain of such a long procedure and it will also make me install all the heavy software all over again.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	default font settings.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	88044
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 3,266
    EL Capitan
       03 Jul 2016 #2

    Where did you get these fonts from? Windows 10 is notorious for cleaning out stuff that is not licensed by Microsoft.

    Suggest to keep the extra fonts on a USB stick.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    03 Jul 2016 #3

    bro67 said: View Post
    Where did you get these fonts from? Windows 10 is notorious for cleaning out stuff that is not licensed by Microsoft.

    Suggest to keep the extra fonts on a USB stick.
    I have got these fonts from my friends and various websites like dafont.com and font squirrel. I have been using these fonts since the days I had windows xp . Since then my fonts backup folder keeps increasing and I copy them to my machines. I have this PC on which I am facing trouble as posted and my laptop is running windows 8.1 which also has these fonts but I haven't faced any such trouble on my laptop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 13,916
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       03 Jul 2016 #4
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    03 Jul 2016 #5

    I have already tried the encryption disabled method. None of the fonts or folders had any encryption in their properties box.

    I copied and pasted these fonts from the c: of unaffected pc after removal of font registry key. The problem persists. The second link you shared is for Windows 8.1. I am using Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 13,916
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       03 Jul 2016 #6

    archz2 said: View Post
    I copied and pasted these fonts from the c: of unaffected pc after removal of font registry key. The problem persists. The second link you shared is for Windows 8.1. I am using Windows 10
    Things like fonts are the same in 8 as in 10.
    I'm not really too versed in font problems, but I have a couple of questions, that might help, if someone that is looks in an your thread:

    Is it just custom fonts you added that disappear, or Windows default fonts(the ones that come with the install) too?

    Is it just the font cache, or are the fonts actually uninstalled?

    If it is the font cache, are you using a system cleaner like Ccleaner, and maybe have Font Cache under System checked?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    03 Jul 2016 #7

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Things like fonts are the same in 8 as in 10.
    I'm not really too versed in font problems, but I have a couple of questions, that might help, if someone that is looks in an your thread:

    Is it just custom fonts you added that disappear, or Windows default fonts(the ones that come with the install) too?

    Is it just the font cache, or are the fonts actually uninstalled?

    If it is the font cache, are you using a system cleaner like Ccleaner, and maybe have Font Cache under System checked?
    Windows fonts are also uninstalled. Arial too!

    Not just the font cache. Font files get removed and I have to reinstall.

    When I restart, the fonts in windows interface like clock and icons also change due to removal of font files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    03 Jul 2016 #8

    Here is the screenshot of the fonts that I'm left with after disappearing act of my fonts after windows restarts

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiThc6O.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	88053
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 13,916
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       03 Jul 2016 #9

    I have posted in the Additional Help thread, and explained your situation and provided a link to here.
    Let's see if anyone else better versed can help.
    It might take a bit, remember the members here are spread all over the world(different time zones).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    03 Jul 2016 #10

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I have posted in the Additional Help thread, and explained your situation and provided a link to here.
    Let's see if anyone else better versed can help.
    It might take a bit, remember the members here are spread all over the world(different time zones).
    Thanks. Please provide the link of the thread where you posted this matter.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hello, I wonder if I can delete all fonts, but keep the system fonts (which available when we install a clean windows 10. I notice that there ware about 200-250 fonts, but now is over than 1200 fonts) ? p/s: If you wants these fonts, I can send...
Hi So here's the problem. My previous laptop running windows 10 finally gave up the ghost and died on me. Not a hard drive issue but power problems (in trying to fix it I broke some of the solder joints), any way it was 5 years old and was due to...
can windows 10 be uninstalled? in Installation and Upgrade
can windows 10 be uninstalled and windows 7 be re installed?
The mousepad on my laptop is not working now that I have updated to windows 10. I have reinstalled the correct drivers from advent and gone through the mouse settings but nothing is working. Any help would be appreciated! The laptop is an advent...
How do I remove the pre-installed components/apps for tablet PC and Xbox One? I don't need tablet components on my PC, and I have no plan to get an Xbox One.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums