Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    15 Apr 2015 #11
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 33
    win10 insider Enterprise

    The powers to be said windows insiders will be able to upgrade to the final build from a win10TP upgrade install. Install seems to keep track of what version was upgraded and if was a pirate version or not

    Even pirate versions of win7 and above can have a free upgrade to the final win10 - but probably will not be eligible for anything other than security updates.

    If you let your version of Win10TP expire.. Windows become unbootable, un-upgradeable, dead ! You'll need to delete the partitions and install something.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Apr 2015 #12
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 194
    Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Thanks! Can you tell me what message you get when you try to shrink your "C:" partition? This looks normal. The 450MB you won't get back unless you format the entire drive from scratch, not worth it.

    Here's an example I did on my HDD:

    Right click the C partition, then click "Shrink".
    Should get a screen like the second one.
    Choose an appropriate size, for just testing OS 32GB-64GB should be plenty.
    Leave the newly created partition unallocated, like the first pic, that's where you will choose it during install.

    The pics I posted are in reverse order, sorry, I attached them backwards!

    If you have trouble with step one, try giving the C drive a label, like "Current OS". You can always change it later.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: ------> if you have files right now at the end of your C drive, you will be unable to shrink it. The space must be contiguous at the end.

    Let me know how it goes....
    AOMEI Partition Assistant will remove those 450MB partitions and perform any other operation you might need to perform and it's the only app I know of that will. Good tool! and a Freebie!
    http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    16 Apr 2015 #13

    Quote Originally Posted by mikiep View Post
    The powers to be said windows insiders will be able to upgrade to the final build from a win10TP upgrade install. Install seems to keep track of what version was upgraded and if was a pirate version or not

    Even pirate versions of win7 and above can have a free upgrade to the final win10 - but probably will not be eligible for anything other than security updates..

    Not quite the story.
    When Terry Myerson, head of Microsoft’s Operating Systems group, made the announcement, he made an error of leaving out a specific clause., concerning pirated material. Already mentioned in this thread. You will, undoubtably, be able to upgrade for free, but will then have an unlicensed copy of Windows 10. Without hacking, you will be required to buy a licence in order to have it correctly activated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    16 Apr 2015 #14

    Quote Originally Posted by husseinHr View Post
    Oh, here's the Disk Management thing. I think there is a drive (the 450MB one) for a Virtual Machine I set up once, not sure.
    As you are at such an early stage of installation, if you do want to be rid of the reserved partition when reinstalling Windows 10, you can do it at the early part of the procedure by selecting the "customised" option and removing it there. You will, of course, then lose the recovery procedure, but this is more easily accomplished by using one of the image programs - for example, as Mike Hawthorne suggests in his post.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    16 Apr 2015 #15
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 2
    windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    Not quite the story.
    When Terry Myerson, head of Microsoft’s Operating Systems group, made the announcement, he made an error of leaving out a specific clause., concerning pirated material. Already mentioned in this thread. You will, undoubtably, be able to upgrade for free, but will then have an unlicensed copy of Windows 10. Without hacking, you will be required to buy a licence in order to have it correctly activated.
    Hello, this my first post,though I have been viewing this forum for ages.
    I did not know this,and I find it hard to believe that an important part of an official statement was accidentally left out.
    I am running 10 TP on 2 8.1 machines and 2 XP machines.
    Installing it obliterated the OS's and I would be annoyed to be left high and dry after the RTM is released.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 Apr 2015 #16
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by coit View Post
    Hello, this my first post,though I have been viewing this forum for ages.
    I did not know this,and I find it hard to believe that an important part of an official statement was accidentally left out.
    I am running 10 TP on 2 8.1 machines and 2 XP machines.
    Installing it obliterated the OS's and I would be annoyed to be left high and dry after the RTM is released.
    You can't blame Microsoft for that... They gave many many warnings to back up your existing OS, and that you shouldn't run it on a production machine. If you went ahead and did it anyways, and didn't back it up.. that's on you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 Apr 2015 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Wolves, England
    Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    you MUST have a valid Windows 7 running at the time of the free upgrade.
    Is this confirmed? Does this mean you can't claim a W10 license using a valid W7/8/8.1 license that isn't installed? Considering ISOs will be available it would make sense if this is a viable option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    16 Apr 2015 #18
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,554
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    Is this confirmed? Does this mean you can't claim a W10 license using a valid W7/8/8.1 license that isn't installed? Considering ISOs will be available it would make sense if this is a viable option.
    As with anything from MS concerning upgrade/update/get free 10, nothing is ever really confirmed until it happens. Here is the best picture so far. It appears that if you want to keep all your apps/progs without reinstalling everything, you can. Or, get the ISO, whenever that would be available. But I would guess to get the ISO you would need to be on a valid system, just like being on 8.1 to get the ISO.
    Windows 10 Upgrade Path and Process
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    16 Apr 2015 #19

    Hi

    I'd just ad that I'd still make the partition at least 100 Gigabytes, my Windows 10 install is 63 Gigabytes and I don't have any of my third party software installed on my C:\ partition.

    When it upgrades to a new version it can run into problems because it copies the Windows Old files to the C:\ drive which adds another 30 Gigabytes or so.

    I've seen messages from people who had the upgrade fail because they didn't have enough free space.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm pretty sure that I will have to reinstall Windows 8 at some point to upgrade to the final version.

    Mike
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    16 Apr 2015 #20
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHawthorne View Post
    Hi

    I'd just ad that I'd still make the partition at least 100 Gigabytes, my Windows 10 install is 63 Gigabytes and I don't have any of my third party software installed on my C:\ partition.

    Mike
    Wow.. that's a lot. I have a clean install of 10049 and I don't use anywhere near that amount of storage.
    Mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	71 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	16861
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC
I am installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my primary PC. Am I making a mistake by doing this?
Installation and Upgrade
Start8 on Windows Tech Preview
Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can...
Software and Apps
Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...
It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing.
Software and Apps
Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips
I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it?
Installation and Upgrade
Update for Windows Tech Preview
October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums