Windows 10: How will Microsoft Distribute Non-Upgrade Non-OEM Windows 10?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1.    22 Apr 2015 #61

    I skimmed through this thread a bit so if I repost what somebody already said I'll apologize now.

    What I would like to see is a Windows 10 Media Creation Tool like this one for Windows 8, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media
    No having to enter a code to do the download, gives the option to save as an ISO of create bootable media.
    Windows distributed on a USB flash drive or SD card would be fine with me. They could even write protect it (make it switchable even) if they want. I don't care as long as it works.
    I don't see the point of DVD's anymore. Not every PC has an optical drive and its a slow way to install an OS. Easily damaged too.
    I think you'll see Windows 10 released on a DVD though. Still too many people that prefer to use them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    22 Apr 2015 #62

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I skimmed through this thread a bit so if I repost what somebody already said I'll apologize now.

    What I would like to see is a Windows 10 Media Creation Tool like this one for Windows 8, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media
    No having to enter a code to do the download, gives the option to save as an ISO of create bootable media.
    Windows distributed on a USB flash drive or SD card would be fine with me. They could even write protect it (make it switchable even) if they want. I don't care as long as it works.
    I don't see the point of DVD's anymore. Not every PC has an optical drive and its a slow way to install an OS. Easily damaged too.
    I think you'll see Windows 10 released on a DVD though. Still too many people that prefer to use them.
    . . .Couldn't agree more. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 May 2015 #63

    Will W10 be freely available as a stand alone ISO file, where your 7, 8, 8.1 product code key can be used to install it?

    Eventually MS released such an ISO file for 8.1, which can be installed as a stand alone and used with either 8 or 8.1 product key.

    I have 3 machines, with 7, 8.1 and now 10 on an old machine for testing purposes. I originally had 10 on an eSATA.

    My sons both have 7 Ult on their own PCs, so can they keep 7 and still get 10 on a different machine and use their 7 product key to install and activate?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 14,325
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
    Thread Starter
       21 May 2015 #64

    Mustang said: View Post
    Will W10 be freely available as a stand alone ISO file, where your 7, 8, 8.1 product code key can be used to install it?
    We only know what's been published by Microsoft and that's not very much. Your guess is as good as mine, Mustang.

    <snip>

    Mustang said: View Post
    My sons both have 7 Ult on their own PCs, so can they keep 7 and still get 10 on a different machine and use their 7 product key to install and activate?
    No, they cannot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    21 May 2015 #65

    There will ISO's out there eventually. Microsoft will put them up on MSDN for sure. Companies will get them too for the IT guy to use to install on company PC's. They will eventually leak to the Internet if Microsoft doesn't provide a link for consumers.

    EDIT: DVD's will show up in the retail chains too. Upgrade and full, OEM system builder too likely.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    21 May 2015 #66

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    There will ISO's out there eventually. Microsoft will put them up on MSDN for sure. Companies will get them too for the IT guy to use to install on company PC's. They will eventually leak to the Internet if Microsoft doesn't provide a link for consumers.

    EDIT: DVD's will show up in the retail chains too. Upgrade and full, OEM system builder too likely.
    Thanks for that info.

    Cheers M
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Related Threads
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: • Latest security •...
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Read more here: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Windows 10? | CITEworld
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:30.
Find Us