Windows 10: As things stand today... where do you stand ?

View Poll Results: Will you jump to W10 and what are you using now.

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the way W10 is heading and will UPGRADE my present OS.

    33 39.29%
  • I like W10 but would ONLY consider a clean install.

    32 38.10%
  • It's been fun but I will not be using W10 as my main OS in the near future.

    9 10.71%
  • W10 is my favourite OS.

    11 13.10%
  • W8.1 is my favourite.

    13 15.48%
  • W8 is my favourite.

    1 1.19%
  • W7 is my favourite.

    24 28.57%
  • Vista is my favourite.

    0 0%
  • XP is my favourite.

    1 1.19%
  • Another such as OSX or Linux.

    3 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Apr 2015 #41

    My reasons for this are a bit different. I like to test out the new technology prior to release so that I can offer help to others by the time the RTM is released.
    I have just recently upgraded my Win8.1 installation to Win10 and am now using it full-time.
    I had no problems with the upgrade, but am having problems with my browser (Firefox).
    When first logging on in the morning it seems to take forever for pages to load and allow me to interact with them.

    EDIT: Just found 34 instances of Flash running in Task Manager
    Last edited by usasma; 14 Apr 2015 at 06:59.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       14 Apr 2015 #42

    usasma said: View Post
    My reasons for this are a bit different. I like to test out the new technology prior to release so that I can offer help to others by the time the RTM is released.
    I have just recently upgraded my Win8.1 installation to Win10 and am now using it full-time.
    I had no problems with the upgrade, but am having problems with my browser (Firefox).
    When first logging on in the morning it seems to take forever for pages to load and allow me to interact with them.

    Uninstall and reinstall Firefox just like what most of us do with Win 10 itself when not working properly .... clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 733
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86
       14 Apr 2015 #43

    At the moment I only have a Laptop running W8.0. Since it is my only machine I don't want to risk even updating to W8.1. Later when I get some desktops one may be designated the "guinea pig PC" at which time I may throw W10 on it if I can install from ISO for free.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       14 Apr 2015 #44

    MilesAhead said: View Post
    At the moment I only have a Laptop running W8.0. Since it is my only machine I don't want to risk even updating to W8.1. Later when I get some desktops one may be designated the "guinea pig PC" at which time I may throw W10 on it if I can install from ISO for free.


    Win 8.1 has been around for quite a while now. There should be no problem upgrading to it. You know the basic drill. Backup before anything else. You can even make an image of 8 before upgrading (use 3rd party like Macrium) just in case something happened.

    Use VM for win 10 if you wanna play it safe.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 733
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86
       14 Apr 2015 #45

    badrobot said: View Post
    Win 8.1 has been around for quite a while now. There should be no problem upgrading to it. You know the basic drill. Backup before anything else. You can even make an image of 8 before upgrading (use 3rd party like Macrium) just in case something happened.

    Use VM for win 10 if you wanna play it safe.
    I have W7 x64 Linux Mint and W10 in VMs. I see no reason to upgrade to 8.1 as I only use Desktop programs. I think the only Modern App I use is the Weather. I depend on my Lappy too much to risk it being out of commission even for a few hours to not much benefit. W8.0 works well enough.

    Edit: It may be fine if I had my own internet. It's just not feasible depending on Library WiFi. It's one thing if an ISO download gets interrupted. It's another if I have my system in an unusable state in the middle of an upgrade and the fire alarm goes off.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       14 Apr 2015 #46

    MilesAhead said: View Post
    I have W7 x64 Linux Mint and W10 in VMs. I see no reason to upgrade to 8.1 as only use Desktop programs. I think the only Modern App I use is the Weather. I depend on my Lappy too much to risk it being out of commission even for a few hours to not much benefit. W8.0 works well enough.

    Ok. Up to you. I have 2 other machines both updated to 8.1. It's really not that big of a deal unlike Win 10. There shouldn't be any problem upgrading to 8.1. And if you do have an issue, the image backup should get you back to 8 in 15mins like nothing happened. But it's all up to you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       14 Apr 2015 #47

    usasma said: View Post
    My reasons for this are a bit different. I like to test out the new technology prior to release so that I can offer help to others by the time the RTM is released.
    I have just recently upgraded my Win8.1 installation to Win10 and am now using it full-time.
    I had no problems with the upgrade, but am having problems with my browser (Firefox).
    When first logging on in the morning it seems to take forever for pages to load and allow me to interact with them.


    EDIT: Just found 34 instances of Flash running in Task Manager
    Try using Cyberfox. It is way better than Firefox. It is faster and when you close it it closes unlike Firefox. I had the same issue as you did with Fx. That is why I switched.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    14 Apr 2015 #48

    badrobot said: View Post
    Ok. Up to you. I have 2 other machines both updated to 8.1. It's really not that big of a deal unlike Win 10. There shouldn't be any problem upgrading to 8.1. And if you do have an issue, the image backup should get you back to 8 in 15mins like nothing happened. But it's all up to you.
    Agreed. 8.1 is really easy to put back in action with Macrium backup. For now, I feel happy with 8.1. So far after build 10049 with lots of bump, such as pc will not shut down with disk and battery lit up. Wait till all the bugs have been clean up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       14 Apr 2015 #49

    MilesAhead said: View Post
    It may be fine if I had my own internet. It's just not feasible depending on Library WiFi.
    Oh yeah. Soild connection is important as you are going to download an ISO/installer for online upgrade. I would actually suggest a wired connection instead of wireless.
    The next time you check in at a hotel, use their wired internet for a minimum fee to upgrade your Win 8.

    And seeing how important your computer is, you should definitely make image backups and create a bootable Macrium USB rescue media with WinPE. It's something that you can use to fix your PC even if it won't boot up due to windows OS problem.
    I can send you an ISO for the macrium WinPE if you need one but it's easy to create.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       14 Apr 2015 #50

    ramram55 said: View Post
    Agreed. 8.1 is really easy to put back in action with Macrium backup. For now, I feel happy with 8.1. So far after build 10049 with lots of bump, such as pc will not shut down with disk and battery lit up. Wait till all the bugs have been clean up.
    I would not judge Windows 10 based solely on this one build.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Do multiple things at once with Windows 10 | Blogging Windows How to Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10 How to Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 How to Open and Use Action Center in Windows 10
Just looking at the census reports from 1961 in the city I was born in.(Calgary) There were just under 250,000 people here. 50 years later there was 1.1 million. With the surrounding area and 4 years later, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1.5....
Stand By in General Support
At the present my computer goes into standby automatically. How do I change it so it doesn't go into standby so I don't have to enter my password every time? I have tried everything! Tully
One of the problems with a virgin install vice upgrading is you have to install all those apps, and what about those modern UI apps and their data?? I got a utility called 'window 8 app data backup' or something very close to that title. I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44.
Find Us