Windows 10: Boot From CD in Windows 10

  1.    14 Jun 2016 #1

    Boot From CD in Windows 10


    Hi everyone,I need to run Windows Defender Offline,which I have downloaded to a CD,but can't for the life of me boot from this CD?
    I know I need to go into BIOS,then to the Boot option at the top,but that's where I get stuck!!
    So what do I do in here please to enable the system to boot from the CD?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    14 Jun 2016 #2

    If you provide the exact model of your motherboard, you may receive better help.

    You can change the boot order in the BIOS settings. However, my personal preference is to use the hotkey to choose the boot device on a one time basis. With an Asus motherboard, it may be the esc (escape) key. On older Asus boards, I believe that it was the F8 function key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Jun 2016 #3

    Reply


    bobkn said: View Post
    If you provide the exact model of your motherboard, you may receive better help.

    You can change the boot order in the BIOS settings. However, my personal preference is to use the hotkey to choose the boot device on a one time basis. With an Asus motherboard, it may be the esc (escape) key. On older Asus boards, I believe that it was the F8 function key.
    Hi,I've no idea of the exact model of my Asus motherboard,nor how/where to find this I'm afraid,I'm not a 'teccie' at all.
    I still can't work out how to change the boot order either when I get into BIOS?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,864
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       15 Jun 2016 #4

    set the DVD device as your first boot device - thus the HDD (windows Boot Manager) as the second boot device
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Jun 2016 #5

    If your motherboard uses UEFI try this, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 Jun 2016 #6

    oodleflip58 said: View Post
    Hi everyone,I need to run Windows Defender Offline,which I have downloaded to a CD,but can't for the life of me boot from this CD?
    I know I need to go into BIOS,then to the Boot option at the top,but that's where I get stuck!!
    So what do I do in here please to enable the system to boot from the CD?
    Well you can change the boot order of your drives but if the drive on top of the order isn't bootable it's going to skip to the next drive in the order. What do you mean by running defender offline? I'm not sure Defender is a bootable app. If the problem is you need to scan files that are open when Windows boots most Anti Virus software have the ability to do scans in safe mode. Safe mode is a semi boot where alot of the programs that open automatically when Windows boots aren't open.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 Jun 2016 #7

    oodleflip58 said: View Post
    Hi,I've no idea of the exact model of my Asus motherboard,nor how/where to find this I'm afraid,I'm not a 'teccie' at all.
    I still can't work out how to change the boot order either when I get into BIOS?
    There are a number of freeware utilities available that tell you what you mainboard is. CPU-Z is one.

    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

    I still suggest picking the boot device on a one-time basis rather than changing the boot order in the BIOS (or UEFI) settings.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 15
    windows 10
       15 Jun 2016 #8

    oodleflip58 said: View Post
    Hi everyone,I need to run Windows Defender Offline,which I have downloaded to a CD,but can't for the life of me boot from this CD?
    I know I need to go into BIOS,then to the Boot option at the top,but that's where I get stuck!!
    So what do I do in here please to enable the system to boot from the CD?
    It has been my experience that the CD Rom Drive, and even the A: Drive if you even have one, are already ahead of the HD in the boot order. So if you cannot boot from the CD chances are it is not an ISO bootable CD. Confirm that from your download site. Also, do you have a different CD you know is bootable, like a Rescue disk from your antivirus or malware provider that you can try ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Is there currently any way to configure a custom boot logo for UEFI booting? I can only find methods for Legacy users, but no luck with UEFI. I'm kind of new to custom boot logos, so if anybody could give me some information as to if it's...
I need to put the Windows OS, that means Windows Boot Manager in BIOS at Boot option 2, but in this case it does not boot. I need to put at boot position 1 PXE boot and if that fails boot from Boot option 2 (Windows). How could I do that? My...
I'm perplexed and frustrated. I have a legacy 64 bit dual core desktop (ASUS mobo). I have several Sata hard drives in it with the 4th partition of my 1 Terabyte drive containing my Windows 10 Professional boot OS. After converting another...
This Problem has been happening since the Later Updates of Windows 10. (I remember when Windows 10 was first released, I had Zero problems with the OS, my PC was running fine. So, it confuses me, makes me think that it could be Windows 10, but it...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06.
Find Us