Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1.    18 Apr 2015 #61
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,666
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    That's ridiculous.
    What? It is ridiculous that an app with its main function being sync your calendar online so that it can be used on any device without a need to add appointments and reminders separately on each calendar requires an online account? It is as much ridiculous as to complain that to use the Mail App you need an email account.

    There are plenty of alternatives in the store, free calendar apps you can download and install on a local account in Windows 10. There's also a free Gmail Calendar app, as you know a Google account is God sent whereas the similar account from MS is Devil's tool, so why not simply install the Gmail Calendar?

    A few rhetorical questions to those "Let's see what evil we can find today in Microsoft's free services" geeks: How many of you have an Android or iOS device? Why is it that although both of them constantly "call home" and they are almost impossible to use without a Gmail account or an Apple ID, you have no objections to that? What is the difference, how on earth is it OK, acceptable and not an issue that in order to really use your Android device, you need to use a Gmail account, but at the same time when in Windows the choice is there, you can decide if you want to use an MS account or not, it's the Worst Thing Ever Heard?

    Interesting though how it seems that you are running out of weapons. Complaining about an online service requiring an online account? What next?

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    18 Apr 2015 #62
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    It is ridiculous. I have 2 friends in the neighborhood for whom I made a local installation (of W8.1). They now want to use the Calendar and some other apps and need a MS account for that. These guys have 1 PC and no other gear. What the hell shall they sync - their toaster oven?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Apr 2015 #63
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,666
    Windows 10 Pro

    And what is the issue? Why would it be such an agony to create an MS Account? If they already use email and have an address, using the existing email, or if they don't have any email address get one free from the MS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Apr 2015 #64
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    And what is the issue? Why would it be such an agony to create an MS Account? If they already use email and have an address, using the existing email, or if they don't have any email address get one free from the MS.
    I agree,, I just set up a Hotmail account a while back and I really never use it for anything other than logging into Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. It's not like MS is collecting any more information than other email services do and I really don't get any spam in my Hotmail account.. YMMV

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    18 Apr 2015 #65
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,535
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    What? It is ridiculous that an app with its main function being sync your calendar online so that it can be used on any device without a need to add appointments and reminders separately on each calendar requires an online account?
    If it only works when you are connected to the Internet, then it is almost useless.

    I have a local calendar.
    It keeps track of my reminders even if the Internet is down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    A few rhetorical questions to those "Let's see what evil we can find today in Microsoft's free services" geeks: How many of you have an Android or iOS device? Why is it that although both of them constantly "call home" and they are almost impossible to use without a Gmail account or an Apple ID, you have no objections to that?
    I don't own any devices of that type.

    A phone service at least has the (feeble) excuse that it needs to know when you are connected to the network in case you need to ... you know ... send or receive phone calls.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    18 Apr 2015 #66
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,171
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I agree,, I just set up a Hotmail account a while back and I really never use it for anything other than logging into Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. It's not like MS is collecting any more information than other email services do and I really don't get any spam in my Hotmail account.. YMMV

    Jeff
    I've had a Hotmail account since (who knows when!) and as you say, Microsoft doesn't collect any more info that other providers do. I also have an @live email addy as well.

    My life is so simplified that I don't need a calendar . . . my husband is my calendar! I just ask him when my next appointment is and he tells me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    18 Apr 2015 #67
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I've had a Hotmail account since (who knows when!) and as you say, Microsoft doesn't collect any more info that other providers do. I also have an @live email addy as well.

    My life is so simplified that I don't need a calendar . . . my husband is my calendar! I just ask him when my next appointment is and he tells me.
    LOL.. Erin does the same for me.. oh and I have Desktop ICalendar Lite..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 Apr 2015 #68
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,666
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    If it only works when you are connected to the Internet, then it is almost useless.
    No. it only needs connection when setting up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    18 Apr 2015 #69
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,535
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    No. it only needs connection when setting up.
    Well that is a "different kettle of fish".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    18 Apr 2015 #70
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    It is just the point. Why is there a requirement for an MS account to use a calendar. It just does not make sense. Same for the other apps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Will a Local Account on Win 10 won't allow you to use Cortana & other
I saw a youtube review on Win 10 build 10159----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDXQ1zVJYA The person states that installing Win 10 under a Local Account instead of using an MS account won't allow you to use Cortana and some of the other MS...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Can I upgrade from 8.1 to 10 with just a local account?
I am preparing for the plunge by joining this forum. My current 8.1 account is just local, I have no 'Microsoft Account' created. Does 10 require the MS account or will it force me to have one?
Installation and Upgrade
More local account trouble
After I succeeded to install W10TP with a local account - which we know is not obvious and probably impossible to do by most users - I now get nagged with IMPORTANT security alerts if I don't sign into the MS account. Does anybody know what the...
General Support
Solved How do I get back to local account
I'm a little confused here(which in not too unusual for me). I think that I somehow got the MS account and had to change my password. How do I get back to local account.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums