Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    02 Jun 2016 #1
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 64

    Black screen error in Windows 10?


    Just can't figure this out!

    Not every time, but sporadically my Windows 10 install will lock on a black screen with moving cursor after login, after putting in my password. Only way out is a hard reset. I have no idea how to fix this, and I've tried a few things.

    It works fine 70% of the time but just occasionally I get that black screen. I'm on one monitor so it's not a multi screen issue. I'm at a total loss here. It also started happening only with the latest build, not the previous one.

    Any ideas?

    Windows 10 x64
    4790K
    32GB Corsair RAM @ 1800
    2x980Ti SLI
    Asus Z97-A.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Jun 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    One of the first i would think of is the display adapter driver, install the latest or uninstall and reinstall or install a different version driver (older). Try different ports and cables to the Graphics card and monitor. Same issue on either Graphics card ? What PSU, wattage and Amps on +12v rail ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Jun 2016 #3
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    One of the first i would think of is the display adapter driver, install the latest or uninstall and reinstall or install a different version driver (older). Try different ports and cables to the Graphics card and monitor. Same issue on either Graphics card ? What PSU, wattage and Amps on +12v rail ?
    I've had this issue on all Nvidia driver revisions I've tried. 19's last set had this, and then the current 22's. PSU is Corsair 100W, 12v is at 12.10. Puzzling issue is it only ever happens on my user account - my other half never gets this despite using the PC plenty. Which makes me think a process unique to my user account is causing this. I'm trying to use trial and error to eliminate that possibility, but as I said, it didn't happen with the previous build of Windows 10 nor Windows 7 before it. It's something unique to this build of W10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Jun 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyG13 View Post
    I've had this issue on all Nvidia driver revisions I've tried. 19's last set had this, and then the current 22's. PSU is Corsair 100W, 12v is at 12.10. Puzzling issue is it only ever happens on my user account - my other half never gets this despite using the PC plenty. Which makes me think a process unique to my user account is causing this. I'm trying to use trial and error to eliminate that possibility, but as I said, it didn't happen with the previous build of Windows 10 nor Windows 7 before it. It's something unique to this build of W10.
    19's & 22's ?? Wait PSU full wattage is 100W and amps on 12v rail 12 ?? Not good for dual 980ti then. That is strange a different user account would cause black screen at boot up ? Mean after sign in then ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Jun 2016 #5
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    19's & 22's ?? Wait PSU full wattage is 100W and amps on 12v rail 12 ?? Not good for dual 980ti then. That is strange a different user account would cause black screen at boot up ? Mean after sign in then ?
    Sorry, typo, meant 1000W! Amps on 12V not sure, all I can give is the real-time v reading and it's 12.10v. Yes, sign in/login/password input. And no, I never said anything about boot up. I only ever said sign in. This is not a boot issue but a sign in issue, and only with one account.

    I am isolating the programs that only run in my account, and closing them every sleep. if I never see a black screen again, one of them is the culprit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Jun 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyG13 View Post
    Sorry, typo, meant 1000W! Amps on 12V not sure, all I can give is the real-time v reading and it's 12.10v. Yes, sign in/login/password input. And no, I never said anything about boot up. I only ever said sign in. This is not a boot issue but a sign in issue, and only with one account.

    I am isolating the programs that only run in my account, and closing them every sleep. if I never see a black screen again, one of them is the culprit.
    O.k. i thought so about the PSU not being just a 100W and being possibly a 1000W but had to confirm with you. I misread you did say after sign in but again never heard of this happening it is quite odd. I would feel each user account is different due to settings and access of programs. To me blank screen always makes me think of the Display adapter and it's driver, maybe a sleep issue and if a software i wonder which could cause this since i have no list to go by. Try safe mode or a clean boot that will eliminate Software (Running Processes) and drivers being the issue.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/41804-clean-boot-perform-windows-10-troubleshoot-software-conflicts.html


    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    04 Jun 2016 #7
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    O.k. i thought so about the PSU not being just a 100W and being possibly a 1000W but had to confirm with you. I misread you did say after sign in but again never heard of this happening it is quite odd. I would feel each user account is different due to settings and access of programs. To me blank screen always makes me think of the Display adapter and it's driver, maybe a sleep issue and if a software i wonder which could cause this since i have no list to go by. Try safe mode or a clean boot that will eliminate Software (Running Processes) and drivers being the issue.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/41804-clean-boot-perform-windows-10-troubleshoot-software-conflicts.html


    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    Well like I say, I've come up with a way of trying to find out which one it might be. I agree on the display adapter being the issue, but in conjunction with whatever program is causing the problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    04 Jun 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyG13 View Post
    Well like I say, I've come up with a way of trying to find out which one it might be. I agree on the display adapter being the issue, but in conjunction with whatever program is causing the problem.
    Clean boot is a way and so can using Safe Mode by needing to sign in again after a restart to your account. Well if it was a display adapter it would cause issues to both users i felt now that you explained about it being only one user account. I never came across this type of issue before to be sure of a cause like this to 2 different user accounts. I think each user accounts can only have access to certain software and i believe have different settings this is all i can think of. True it seems like a display adapter driver or hardware issue and was my first thought till i understood and reread the issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    06 Jun 2016 #9
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Clean boot is a way and so can using Safe Mode by needing to sign in again after a restart to your account. Well if it was a display adapter it would cause issues to both users i felt now that you explained about it being only one user account. I never came across this type of issue before to be sure of a cause like this to 2 different user accounts. I think each user accounts can only have access to certain software and i believe have different settings this is all i can think of. True it seems like a display adapter driver or hardware issue and was my first thought till i understood and reread the issue.
    Well it wasn't one of my apps anyway. Happened again. I always seem to get the oddest glitches. Completely at a loss to fix this. I've tried a couple of things but can't really see them helping.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    06 Jun 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyG13 View Post
    Well it wasn't one of my apps anyway. Happened again. I always seem to get the oddest glitches. Completely at a loss to fix this. I've tried a couple of things but can't really see them helping.
    Please explain what you have tried so far so we can further help you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Booting error, Black screen, no mouse, computer on, please help
Computer model: Lenovo Y700 Microsoft 10 6th gen i7 processor It has 2 graphics cards: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 960M 2GB NVIDIA® GTX 960M 4 GB GDD5
General Support
Black screen after Installation (Error Code 8007002C-4000D)
Hey guys, I've tried downloading and installing Windows 10 via the System Update for the past 24 hours (I've tried it 5 separate times). Every time it gets to 84% overall, and 36% configuring settings, then goes to a black screen with nothing on it...
Installation and Upgrade
Black screen - Error code C1900101
Evening all, Ive googled helplessly trying to find a fix to this problem. I dont have a problem with space, uninstalled my antivirus, fixed files in registry with Ccleaner... Ive tried getting windows 10 for the 4th time now, all I get is a black...
Installation and Upgrade
Error message "uncountable boot volume" on start up then black screen
Hi, when restarting my laptop after a windows 10 update yesterday, got an " unmountable boot volume" message on start up with windows trying to repair but then goes to a black screen with nothing but a white cursor. only displaying black screen....
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Black Screen with error message.
Just installed Win10 on a Win7 machine. Started it up and walked away. Came back 3hrs later and all that was on the screen was this message: Cannot Display this Video Mode. Optimum Resolution 1280 x 1024 60Hz I can restart the machine and...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:13.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums