File size not reducing when changing image size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 5
    10
       #1

    File size not reducing when changing image size


    I have a 16 mg image, 4500x3000. I resized all the way down to 100x100 and the file size won't change from 12.4 or so. This is true for all photos in a certain file I downloaded from online. They are appliance products. I tried downloading a random, even larger image from google, 26mg, 12000x8000 or something like that and changed it to 2000x1500 or so and the file size went to a respectable 1.5mg. I am resizing with windows photo gallery and my coworker tried photoshop with the same results, though I don't know what settings.



    I redownloaded the files I am having trouble with and that didn't work. I'm not sure what to try. Can't find much online. Any ideas?

    Here's one of the images
    WF45K6200_-_BLUE_8.jpg - Google Drive

    Thanks
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,783
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #2

    joshman108 said:
    I have a 16 mg image, 4500x3000. I resized all the way down to 100x100 and the file size won't change from 12.4 or so. This is true for all photos in a certain file I downloaded from online. They are appliance products. I tried downloading a random, even larger image from google, 26mg, 12000x8000 or something like that and changed it to 2000x1500 or so and the file size went to a respectable 1.5mg. I am resizing with windows photo gallery and my coworker tried photoshop with the same results, though I don't know what settings.



    I redownloaded the files I am having trouble with and that didn't work. I'm not sure what to try. Can't find much online. Any ideas?

    Here's one of the images
    WF45K6200_-_BLUE_8.jpg - Google Drive

    Thanks
    It seems to be an embedded image on a Web page/.html. I pressed the PrintScrn key then opened Paint/MSPaint and Pasted then used Select tool and Cropped it, got a file size of 361KB and image size of 807 pixels by 541 pixels.
    Attachment 82824
      My Computers

  3. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 5,036
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 20H2 Build 19042.985 and W10 Insider Preview Build 21376
       #3

    I have just resized it using GIMP. It is now 64kB and is 1000 x 667px with a resolution of 150px/inch

    File size not reducing when changing image size-wf45k6200_-_blue_8_resize.jpg
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 5
    10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    I'm not sure what you mean, berton. My file says .jpg. Also, I don't want to print screen because I need the image as large as possible. I just need a lower file size, it seems unreasonable to stay so large.
      My Computer

  5. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 5,036
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 20H2 Build 19042.985 and W10 Insider Preview Build 21376
       #5

    joshman108 said:
    I'm not sure what you mean, berton. My file says .jpg. Also, I don't want to print screen because I need the image as large as possible. I just need a lower file size, it seems unreasonable to stay so large.
    Perhaps you can explain what you want to do with the image. Is it for a large poster print, if so what size do you want it to be?
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 5
    10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I work for an appliance retailer and I just need to upload it to our site for a product. I would like to retain the original size if possible. I deal with other images this size, or close to it, and their file size is never this big. The problem is the file size exceeds what I can upload to our site.
      My Computer

  7. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 5,036
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 20H2 Build 19042.985 and W10 Insider Preview Build 21376
       #7

    joshman108 said:
    I work for an appliance retailer and I just need to upload it to our site for a product. I would like to retain the original size if possible. I deal with other images this size, or close to it, and their file size is never this big. The problem is the file size exceeds what I can upload to our site.
    The original image had a resolution of 300px/inch. The image was 4500 in length so when displayed at that resolution it would be 15 inch in length. In practice for screen viewing you only need around 70px/inch for viewing quality on a monitor. So for the above image you would only need a size of around 1000 x 667px at a resolution of 70px/inch and the image could be viewed at a screen size of about 15in x 10in with acceptable quality. The file size will be the same as the one I posted (64kB).
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 5
    10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    That is true, but on these sites you can hover for a zoom-in view which is important at times when you are trying to read things on a product or something.
      My Computer

  9. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 5,036
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 20H2 Build 19042.985 and W10 Insider Preview Build 21376
       #9

    joshman108 said:
    That is true, but on these sites you can hover for a zoom-in view which is important at times when you are trying to read things on a product or something.
    In that case you might want to increase the image size to around 2000 x 1333 to allow for a zoom. Even so the final file size should still be less than 200kB.
      My Computers

  10. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,783
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #10

    joshman108 said:
    I'm not sure what you mean, berton. My file says .jpg.
    The .png format is more or less the default format when saving images but can always be change to .jpg as desired.

    Also, I don't want to print screen because I need the image as large as possible. I just need a lower file size, it seems unreasonable to stay so large.
    Keeping the image size but reducing the storage size calls for reducing in number of pixels or changing some of the coloration or number of color layers, I don't get involved in that as it can be quite time-consuming.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums