Windows 10: Sort Files in folders

  1.    30 May 2016 #1

    Sort Files in folders


    Win 10 won't let me move photo files in a folder. Help please
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,396
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       30 May 2016 #2

    RobnFran said: View Post
    Win 10 won't let me move photo files in a folder. Help please
    That doesn't say much.

    It depends upon how you want to move them. If working in a single Folder you can change the view to Details then click the heading of each column to change the lineup. If wanting to change the lineup by name you probably will have to rename some of the files to fit the scheme you desire.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 May 2016 #3

    Berton said: View Post
    That doesn't say much.

    It depends upon how you want to move them. If working in a single Folder you can change the view to Details then click the heading of each column to change the lineup. If wanting to change the lineup by name you probably will have to rename some of the files to fit the scheme you desire.
    In Win 7 I could rearrange the layout of photo files into any desired order within the folder, Win 10 won't let me do that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Arc's Avatar
    Posts : 1,643
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       31 May 2016 #4

    RobnFran said: View Post
    In Win 7 I could rearrange the layout of photo files into any desired order within the folder, Win 10 won't let me do that.
    I can do everything in windows 10 that I could do in windows 7. What is your desired order?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 May 2016 #5

    Arc said: View Post
    I can do everything in windows 10 that I could do in windows 7. What is your desired order?
    No particular order I just want to have the ability to move photos in an order that suits me at the time when in Large Icons view as I was previously able to do in W7. It does seem as if I can change the order of photo files when in the Details view, but not in Large Icons View. One would have thought that it's not really a complicated request . Help appreciated plse
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    31 May 2016 #6

    while your large picture icons are displayed - open the top ribbon by pressing the V right side of ribbon..
    Then click SORT BY - there you can select how to sort and add additional sort features..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Slartybart's Avatar
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       31 May 2016 #7

    RobnFran said: View Post
    No particular order I just want to have the ability to move photos in an order that suits me at the time when in Large Icons view as I was previously able to do in W7. It does seem as if I can change the order of photo files when in the Details view, but not in Large Icons View. One would have thought that it's not really a complicated request . Help appreciated plse
    In addition to Kyhi's use the view ribbon suggestion, you can also right click an open area of the pane to expose the context menu. View, Sort by, and Group by (Libraries also have Arrange by).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    31 May 2016 #8

    Slartybart said: View Post
    In addition to Kyhi's use the view ribbon suggestion, you can also right click an open area of the pane to expose the context menu. View, Sort by, and Group by (Libraries also have Arrange by).
    Thank you, regretfully I must not be expressing myself clearly: Previously in W7 when I opened a Photo folder in large icon view, so that all the photos from that folder were showing, I was able to click on a photo from (for example) the bottom of the display and move it to, (for example) the top of the display or to any location in the image display, It would then stay there, not in any "sort by" protocol but just because I had randomly inserted it to the new location in that folder. I hope that I'm making things clearer. Many thanks for assistance
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Slartybart's Avatar
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       01 Jun 2016 #9

    Ya know, I was afraid that's what you meant

    This sounds as though it is what you want.

    Auto Arrange in Folders - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums


    Choose
    3. To Disable Auto Arrange and use Medium icons View by default
    -- OR --
    4. To Disable Auto Arrange and use Large icons View by default

    Read the instructions and ask questions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. hTconeM9user's Avatar
    Posts : 2,678
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) 345
       01 Jun 2016 #10

    All I do is either drag and drop where I want them, or number them say 1 to 100 in each folder and they will stay there until I either delete them or renumber them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Two questions:- 1. Does anyone know of a simple method to add titles, comments, or tags, to folders in Windows 10? There was something called HobComment that worked on XP but there does not appear to be a Win10 X64 version. 2. Is it possible...
Hello, i don't know how to happened. I noticed my menu bar icons started showing a different icon (the default windows program icon) for some reason and Internet sites html started messing up too, so i decided to reboot my computer. Now my...
Hello..i know how to sort individual tracks by album/artist or whatever but I'm trying to sort folders of albums in a main folder and for the heck of it can't figure out how to get it to do so. Just to clarify this is my setup that I'm talking...
I have the option "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" off. However since the last update whenever I either copy or move a file into any folder windows puts that folder under the Recent group in the taskbar. Is there...
Folders and Files Disappeared in General Support
I have a couple of folders containing files I have not looked at in over a year. When I went to look at them, I cannot find them ?? Does Windows 10 automatically archive older unused files or folders ?? Thanks, rs
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:30.
Find Us