Windows 10: Malware or drive failure? Machine is crippled

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
  1.    05 Jun 2016 #111

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Thanks,

    It really depends on how you installed Windows.

    If the drive was empty, the there should not have been unallocated space after Windows was installed. There are hidden partitions though.
    If the drive had any partitioning on it before the install, then Windows preserves that schema.

    I regularly create space for testing an OS and leave my data partitions allocated - the data partitions stay allocated.
    There is also unallocated space on my drive that stays unallocated.

    The key then is to have no partitions on the drive when you install Windows, that way Windows decides what to allocate and where it gets allocated.

    There are cases where a second attempt causes issues - best to start from the beginning rather than pick up from where you left off.

    This refers to a clean install ... clean means a clean drive.
    It was a brand new drive, so there shouldn't have been anything on it. According to the "computer management tool" in admin settings, that un-allocated partition was the only other one.

    Here's that picture:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_06_05_22_39_271.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	83567
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       05 Jun 2016 #112

    adamgm said: View Post
    It was a brand new drive, so there shouldn't have been anything on it. According to the "computer management tool" in admin settings, that un-allocated partition was the only other one.
    Thanks,

    The partitioning is not standard and might cause issues down the line, not saying it will. As far as I can tell it looks like it will work.
    Previous versions of Windows had no issue running with one partition, just as you have on your system.

    I don't know if the new HDD had any partitions on it or not, some do have a tools partition.

    Your choice, run as is - should be ok.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 Jun 2016 #113

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Thanks,

    The partitioning is not standard and might cause issues down the line, but as far as I can tell it looks like it will work.
    Previous versions of Windows had no issue running with one partition, just as you have on your system.

    I don't know if the new HDD had any partitions on it or not, some do have a tools partition.

    Your choice, run as it - should be ok.
    In what way *could* it cause issues?
    I'm guessing it would be recommended to have some kind of restoration partition?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       05 Jun 2016 #114

    Adam,

    There's simply no way for me to know what might happen down the line. I've given you my advice and some reassurance that your system should be ok.

    All of the requirements of Windows is on the one partition (System, Boot, Page, Swap, Recovery, WinDir, PgmFiles, UserFiles, etc).

    I would do a Clean install if it were my machine, but I don't think it is required.

    I based my suggestions solely on these two posts of yours:


    Ok, so I didn't insert a key, but according to the system page in the control panel "Windows is activated" but it's not a standard key, but some "product id" ?

    Second, and a new issue - if someone can help me out, when installing windows, for some reason the first attempt screwed up, I forget what the error was, but it cancelled.
    I now have a partition to the left of my primary one, and I can't extend the primary... how do I get rid of this?


    If I make the unallocated space (501mb) a volume, I can shrink it, but only by ~ 280 mb. Presumably I could add that to my main.... is there some way to get rid of the whole thing?

    I can start over and reinstall windows again...


    It sounds to me as though you mistook the System Reserve partition (based on the 500 MB size) as unallocated and deleted it. The issue is that the SysRes part was deleted, but Windows repaired itself and should be fine.

    It is your choice to leave it as is or do a Clean install.

    I can't offer anything more other than if issues do crop up ... TenForum members will surely help resolve them.
    Last edited by Slartybart; 05 Jun 2016 at 20:08.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jun 2016 #115

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Adam,

    There's simply no way for me to know what might happen down the line. I've given you my advice and some reassurance that your system should be ok.

    All of the requirements of Windows is on the one partition (System, Boot, Page, Swap, Recovery, WinDir, PgmFiles, UserFiles, etc).

    I would do a Clean install if it were my machine, but I don't think it is required.

    I based my suggestions solely on these two posts of yours:


    Ok, so I didn't insert a key, but according to the system page in the control panel "Windows is activated" but it's not a standard key, but some "product id" ?

    Second, and a new issue - if someone can help me out, when installing windows, for some reason the first attempt screwed up, I forget what the error was, but it cancelled.
    I now have a partition to the left of my primary one, and I can't extend the primary... how do I get rid of this?


    If I make the unallocated space (501mb) a volume, I can shrink it, but only by ~ 280 mb. Presumably I could add that to my main.... is there some way to get rid of the whole thing?

    I can start over and reinstall windows again...


    It sounds to me as though you mistook the System Reserve partition (based on the 500 MB size) as unallocated and deleted it. The issue is that the SysRes part was deleted, but Windows repaired itself and should be fine.

    It is your choice to leave it as is or do a Clean install.

    I can't offer anything more other than if issues do crop up ... TenForum members will surely help resolve them.
    Thank you Sorry, I didn't mean to press, I thought you may have known of and been referring to a specific possibility.

    Just as an aside, it was in this panel that Windows said the partition was un-allocated, but I may have mis-interpreted that.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_06_06_00_51_521.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	83591


    I'll probably do another install I think...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       05 Jun 2016 #116

    You're welcome and no sweat on the didn't mean to press.

    Funny thing though ... I'm working another thread and their machine has the SysRes part allocated, but not formatted. So I struck an assumption I made in my previous post (mistaking the SysRes part for unallocated).

    Is your machine 32-bit or 64-bit? I'm wondering if a 32-bit install has this issue. I recently installed Win10 for destructive testing, but I have a 64-bit machine (the other thread is 32-bit)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Jun 2016 #117

    Slartybart said: View Post
    You're welcome and no sweat on the didn't mean to press.

    Funny thing though ... I'm working another thread and their machine has the SysRes part allocated, but not formatted. So I struck an assumption I made in my previous post (mistaking the SysRes part for unallocated).

    Is your machine 32-bit or 64-bit? I'm wondering if a 32-bit install has this issue. I recently installed Win10 for destructive testing, but I have a 64-bit machine (the other thread is 32-bit)
    No, I'm running 64 bit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       05 Jun 2016 #118

    Thanks, not bit depth related then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Related Threads
I have a few machines now running Windows 10 pro and I was wondering if I need to create a "Recovery Drive" for all of them (2 are the same model, and one is different), or, can I create one that will work for all of them? If I have to create one...
I've really had it with Windows 10 now. The latest upgrade made my computer slow to a crawl, and disabled my ability to change the features on my Logitech mouse. The mouse now moves 1:1, so that I must move it 18" to get from one side of the screen...
Hello, I have two machines on a workgroup network. One machine has win 7 and the other has Win 10. From win 10 machine I can access the C drive on the Win 7 machine since I shared the C drive on the win 7 machine. But I can't access the C...
Super Secretive Malware Wipes Hard Drive to Prevent Analysis in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Read more. Source: Ars Technica.
OneDrive crippled in Build 9879 in Software and Apps
I root my User folders in the OneDrive folder which has worked fine for several years. After a day of running 9879 I restart to a warning the OneDrive cannot find the Desktop. I try to open OneDrive App and get this error: "Your System...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:44.
Find Us