Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
  1.    04 Jun 2016 #91

    simrick said: View Post
    If the thing had W10 on it, and was activated, you just need to reinstall W10 and skip entering the key, if it asks for one. The MS servers will apply the Digital Entitlement. Changing a drive does not affect activation. Simply download the W10 ISO from MSTechBench - it will have both Home + Pro versions on it (just select the proper bitness). Install the version you had and it will auto-activate, if not immediately, after a couple of boots.

    That's the great thing about W10: once it has been activated on a system, the Digital Entitlement allows you to reinstall as many times as you want/need.
    Huh... how does it know if the drive that had windows on it is gone though?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    04 Jun 2016 #92

    Also, I can burn the tech bench iso to a disk and boot into the new HD and install windows that way?


    Edit: I got the product key! (or a product key, not sure if it's guaranteed to be accurate...)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 111
    Windows 10 Professional x64
       04 Jun 2016 #93

    adamgm said: View Post
    Huh... how does it know if the drive that had windows on it is gone though?
    Almost every piece of hardware can be uniquely identified, by its serial number, MAC address, etc, which are stored on MS' servers and linked to your license, which is uniquely identified by its product key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       04 Jun 2016 #94

    This is an interesting test case.

    Product Key: Retail license
    Digital Entitlement: Upgrade ... activation information stored on MS servers
    OEM (Dell, HP, Asus, etc): Key is embedded in firmware

    So what does Adam have? A PC builder machine.

    The first attetmpt as NovHak and simrick implied is to just try installing Win10 on the new HDD (or SSD).
    Skip entering the key on the windows that ask - it will either activate or you cna add the key afterward the instal finishes

    The two scenarios where Win10 will activate without entering a key during install are: OEM and Digital Entitlement
    The only scenario where you would have to enter a key after installing would be a Retail product (probably includes OEM builder license).

    Did you run Check Product Key in Showkey?
    Does the result confirm your installed edition?

    If so, then you're probably good to go ... not much more for me to offer ... good luck

    Bill
    .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       04 Jun 2016 #95

    adamgm said: View Post
    Also, I can burn the tech bench iso to a disk and boot into the new HD and install windows that way?
    Yes
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

    Read through it and ask any questions you might have.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    04 Jun 2016 #96

    Slartybart said: View Post
    This is an interesting test case.

    Product Key: Retail license
    Digital Entitlement: Upgrade ... activation information stored on MS servers
    OEM (Dell, HP, Asus, etc): Key is embedded in firmware

    So what does Adam have? A PC builder machine.

    The first attetmpt as NovHak and simrick implied is to just try installing Win10 on the new HDD (or SSD).
    Skip entering the key on the windows that ask - it will either activate or you cna add the key afterward the instal finishes

    The two scenarios where Win10 will activate without entering a key during install are: OEM and Digital Entitlement
    The only scenario where you would have to enter a key after installing would be a Retail product (probably includes OEM builder license).

    Did you run Check Product Key in Showkey?
    Does the result confirm your installed edition?

    If so, then you're probably good to go ... not much more for me to offer ... good luck

    Bill
    .
    The result said it was win 10, if that's what you mean. I called MS and asked if they could verify my key, they said there was an error, but the language barrier was brutal.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       04 Jun 2016 #97

    adamgm said: View Post
    Also, I can burn the tech bench iso to a disk and boot into the new HD and install windows that way?

    Edit: I got the product key! (or a product key, not sure if it's guaranteed to be accurate...)
    It may be too large and you'll need a flash drive. Last one I got was 4.3GB, so it would fit on a DVD. Otherwise, get the ISO for your flavor of Windows (home or pro) by using the Media Creation Tool.

    Slartybart said: View Post
    This is an interesting test case.

    Product Key: Retail license
    Digital Entitlement: Upgrade ... activation information stored on MS servers
    OEM (Dell, HP, Asus, etc): Key is embedded in firmware

    So what does Adam have? A PC builder machine.

    The first attetmpt as NovHak and simrick implied is to just try installing Win10 on the new HDD (or SSD).
    Skip entering the key on the windows that ask - it will either activate or you cna add the key afterward the instal finishes

    The two scenarios where Win10 will activate without entering a key during install are: OEM and Digital Entitlement
    The only scenario where you would have to enter a key after installing would be a Retail product (probably includes OEM builder license).

    Did you run Check Product Key in Showkey?
    Does the result confirm your installed edition?

    If so, then you're probably good to go ... not much more for me to offer ... good luck

    Bill
    .

    adamgm said: View Post
    The result said it was win 10, if that's what you mean. I called MS and asked if they could verify my key, they said there was an error, but the language barrier was brutal.
    Try installing without entering any key first. It may activate automatically.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    04 Jun 2016 #98

    simrick said: View Post
    It may be too large and you'll need a flash drive. Otherwise, get the ISO for your flavor of Windows (home or pro) by using the Media Creation Tool.





    Try installing without entering any key first. It may activate automatically.
    I'll probably get a drive today and try it out. I'll report back!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       04 Jun 2016 #99

    adamgm said: View Post
    I'll probably get a drive today and try it out. I'll report back!
    Sounds like a plan!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    04 Jun 2016 #100

    Slartybart said: View Post
    This is an interesting test case.

    Product Key: Retail license
    Digital Entitlement: Upgrade ... activation information stored on MS servers
    OEM (Dell, HP, Asus, etc): Key is embedded in firmware

    So what does Adam have? A PC builder machine.

    The first attetmpt as NovHak and simrick implied is to just try installing Win10 on the new HDD (or SSD).
    Skip entering the key on the windows that ask - it will either activate or you cna add the key afterward the instal finishes

    The two scenarios where Win10 will activate without entering a key during install are: OEM and Digital Entitlement
    The only scenario where you would have to enter a key after installing would be a Retail product (probably includes OEM builder license).

    Did you run Check Product Key in Showkey?
    Does the result confirm your installed edition?

    If so, then you're probably good to go ... not much more for me to offer ... good luck

    Bill
    .

    To respond to this more directly; I wasn't able to get it with ShowKey, it said that there was no OEM in the firmware in the backup - I also tried running the executable from the bad drive, with the same result.

    However, I did install Lazesoft software recovery suite to the bad drive (very slowly) and it has a password/key recovery option which is what gave me my key.

    A good sign is, putting that key into Showkey does also give me the correct version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Latest Version of W10 Very Slow, Mouse Almost Crippled
I've really had it with Windows 10 now. The latest upgrade made my computer slow to a crawl, and disabled my ability to change the features on my Logitech mouse. The mouse now moves 1:1, so that I must move it 18" to get from one side of the screen...
Performance & Maintenance
Creating a Recovery Drive . . . Is it Machine Specific?
I have a few machines now running Windows 10 pro and I was wondering if I need to create a "Recovery Drive" for all of them (2 are the same model, and one is different), or, can I create one that will work for all of them? If I have to create one...
Performance & Maintenance
Can't access my hard drive from another machine?
Hello, I have two machines on a workgroup network. One machine has win 7 and the other has Win 10. From win 10 machine I can access the C drive on the Win 7 machine since I shared the C drive on the win 7 machine. But I can't access the C...
Network and Sharing
Super Secretive Malware Wipes Hard Drive to Prevent Analysis
Read more. Source: Ars Technica.
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
OneDrive crippled in Build 9879
I root my User folders in the OneDrive folder which has worked fine for several years. After a day of running 9879 I restart to a warning the OneDrive cannot find the Desktop. I try to open OneDrive App and get this error: "Your System...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:44.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums