Windows 10: My Stuff disappeared

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    27 May 2016 #31

    Thanks but neither one of those two links covered this phenomenon. Also clicking on indexing and searching through that box did not provide any answers to this enigma.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    28 May 2016 #32

    Rocky said: View Post
    Thanks but neither one of those two links covered this phenomenon. Also clicking on indexing and searching through that box did not provide any answers to this enigma.
    See the picture?
    It certainly does cover the subject.
    You have to have your drives indexed per the MS documentation.
    Here I did a search on my virus software and it found MY
    virus program.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-05-28_08h24_05.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	82097
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 26,495
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       28 May 2016 #33

    Well folks I don't have Cortana enabled, running Windows 10 Pro 10586.318 and if I hit the search icon and enter any word. It does show "search my stuff" at the bottom ...lol
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 120
    Windows 10 pro 64 bit/vs.1703/1506.250
       28 May 2016 #34

    Same here Mike. I just built this machine a few days ago. I am (as much as possible) off microsoft's grid. No one drive, no Cortana, no feedback, NO NUTTIN. using OOShutup. If I open search (don't use it either) and type "my", my stuff shows bottom left. Go figure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    28 May 2016 #35

    If you do search then hit the "My Stuff" button this is an example of what can be searched on
    AFTER indexing your drives as per my post above.

    He is my music for example, shows on two drives C and G.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-05-28_09h49_33.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	82120
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 May 2016 #36

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Well folks I don't have Cortana enabled, running Windows 10 Pro 10586.318 and if I hit the search icon and enter any word. It does show "search my stuff" at the bottom ...lol
    Then it must show up only after disabling it then, makes sense, I disabled Cortana right after my Win10 install.

    EDIT:
    Hmm, confusing here is more detail from these links.
    The second one suggests that windows search service may be disabled.

    How to search for files in Windows 10 with Cortana | Windows Central

    https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-w...t-menu-search/
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    28 May 2016 #37

    msny said: View Post
    See the picture?
    It certainly does cover the subject.
    You have to have your drives indexed per the MS documentation.
    Here I did a search on my virus software and it found MY
    virus program.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-05-28_08h24_05.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	82097

    No, actually this description does not touch on the phenomenon that we were discussing, i.e. why some computers have My Stuff listed on the bottom of the search area and some have the individual icons for files, apps, music, internet, photos, videos etc. Of course I might be thick, but I read both links and I did not see this phenomenon mentioned.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    28 May 2016 #38

    davidhk said: View Post
    OK.
    Which Win 10 version do you have ?
    I tried Start/ControlPanel/System but all it said was Windows 10 Home but no additional information.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       28 May 2016 #39

    wilhelm45 said: View Post
    I tried Start/ControlPanel/System but all it said was Windows 10 Home but no additional information.
    At the search bar, type winver > hit Enter.
    Please post the screenshot of the result.
    Here is mine................

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10586.318.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	82132
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    28 May 2016 #40

    Rocky said: View Post
    No, actually this description does not touch on the phenomenon that we were discussing, i.e. why some computers have My Stuff listed on the bottom of the search area and some have the individual icons for files, apps, music, internet, photos, videos etc. Of course I might be thick, but I read both links and I did not see this phenomenon mentioned.
    So your search service is running and you have drive indexing set on?
    OK....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Related Threads
While using really old software; like Visual Basic Pro 5.0,may not fit in the millennial mindset or the Microsoft marketing strategy; as aretired old fashion engineer and sometime software guy, Windows 10 does offersome stability and neat features I...
Fun Stuff in Chillout Room
Some fun things to paste into Google Search and press Enter: - Google in 1998 - Do a Barrel Roll - Zerg Rush - Blink HTML
Portable Stuff in Chillout Room
If you're like me, who hates earbud wires hanging about, getting caught on stuff, then here's a couple high tech 'bad-boys' to watch out for! 8474 Earin | The World's Smallest Wireless Earbuds
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:13.
Find Us