Windows 10: Ghost Folder Solved

  1.    23 May 2016 #1

    Ghost Folder


    Hello everyone.

    Am happy with Windows 10 but i have a weird problem. I want to delete a folder but Windows can't find that folder... I explained that problem in a graphic and attached to this post.

    Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled_1.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 13,956
    Windows 10 Pro
       23 May 2016 #2

    Windows has two different Desktop folders, one for each user showing shortcuts and files on that specific user's desktop, and a Public Desktop folder for content shared by all users. In your case that folder is most probably stored in Public Desktop, that's why you cannot see it when checking your personal Desktop:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_05_23_10_50_511.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	81200
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       23 May 2016 #3

    cevem said: View Post
    ...
    I want to delete a folder but Windows can't find that folder... I explained that problem in a graphic and attached to this post.
    The dir command shows that the folder is under your user profile. It is not a hidden file or a directory junction.

    The only thing I see is that the rmdir command shows a space at the end.

    Try this in Command Prompt
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
    dir /a /s > %temp%\oddFolder.txt

    cd "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Creativity Free Bundle"
    dir /a /s >> %temp%\oddFolder.txt

    cd %TEMP%
    dir oddFolder.txt

    Please post the oddFolder.txt located in your Temp folder
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 May 2016 #4

    Slartybart said: View Post
    The dir command shows that the folder is under your user profile. It is not a hidden file or a directory junction.

    The only thing I see is that the rmdir command shows a space at the end.

    Try this in Command Prompt
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
    dir /a /s > %temp%\oddFolder.txt

    cd "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Creativity Free Bundle"
    dir /a /s >> %temp%\oddFolder.txt

    cd %TEMP%
    dir oddFolder.txt

    Please post the oddFolder.txt located in your Temp folder
    Hello Bart. Thank you for the reply. I uploaded txt file: Click here to see.

    I tried the second command
    Code:
    cd "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Creativity Free Bundle"
    but cmd says again "System can't find...".

    Greetings.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       27 May 2016 #5

    it really is a ghost

    but it's an empty folder
    Directory of C:\Users\...\Desktop\Creativity Free Bundle

    24.03.2016 11:34 <DIR> .
    24.03.2016 11:34 <DIR> ..
    0 File(s) 0 bytes

    See what this returns:
    Command Prompt (Admin)
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
    dir /a /s Creativity*
    cd Creativity*
    dir /a /s

    Anything?
    Last edited by Slartybart; 27 May 2016 at 15:22.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 May 2016 #6

    Slartybart said: View Post
    it really is a ghost

    but it's an empty folder
    Directory of C:\Users\...\Desktop\Creativity Free Bundle

    24.03.2016 11:34 <DIR> .
    24.03.2016 11:34 <DIR> ..
    0 File(s) 0 bytes

    See what this returns:
    Command Prompt (Admin)
    cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
    dir /a /s Creativity*
    cd Creativity*
    dir /a /s

    Anything?
    Hello again, i deleted directory with Git Bash LOL. It's unexpected for me. Thank you for the reply.

    Greetings.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       27 May 2016 #7

    Good to know, thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
ghost recon in Gaming
hi there i have just recently upgraded too windows 10 from 8.1 . having some bother trying too rteinstall some off the games i play , i cant seem too get ghost recon future soldier installed, anyone have ant ideas p[lz? thanks would be real...
Solved I have a ghost in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hello, I have a problem that MS can't seem to help. When I boot up my machine it give me 3 login choices. 1)My Name myname@email.com 2)Admin 3)My Name
Hi, i just got a folder looking icon on my desktop and i cant delete it . A screenshot snap is on drop box link below. It cant be archived or move to recycle bin or other folder, but can only be pin to Quick Access in explorer. Tried to delete...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:44.
Find Us