Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1.    21 May 2016 #61

    Buying a Cheap Windows 10 Laptop Part 6

    Touchscreen? We don't need no stinkin' touchscreen!

    A touchscreen adds to the cost of a laptop. So if it includes a touchscreen, the rest of the cheap laptop was cheapened up to keep the price down. The touchscreen software is part of the Windows OS, so if the touchscreen doesn't work, the manufacturer will tell you that it is Microsoft's fault. MS will tell you to re-install Windows, and if it doesn't work, it is the manufacturer's fault.

    Three years ago, a touchscreen added $200 to the price of a laptop. If you had two $800 laptops, and one had a touchscreen, it was a $600 laptop with a device you didn't need. And when I was a tech writer for Acer, we had many complaints from laptop owners who finally gave up on their touchscreens.

    Buying a $250 Windows 10 laptop? If it has a touchscreen, you're getting a much cheaper computer than what you're paying for.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    21 May 2016 #62
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Please stop.. there is no reason for this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    21 May 2016 #63
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Touchscreens require drivers. Drivers are the responsibility of hardware manufacturers, not Microsoft. OP credibility rating now moving exponentially more negative.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    21 May 2016 #64
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    New Mexico
    Posts : 1,336
    Windows 10 Pro,

    I really wonder if Vince is reading any of the comments in this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    21 May 2016 #65
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I really wonder if Vince is reading any of the comments in this thread.
    No.. I doubt it highly. It's like he's trolling the site at this point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    21 May 2016 #66
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    No.. I doubt it highly. It's like he's trolling the site at this point.
    It's too bad the responsible thing to do is to correct his errors, though, so other people won't be led astray.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    22 May 2016 #67
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    It's too bad the responsible thing to do is to correct his errors, though, so other people won't be led astray.
    I totally agree.. I would hate to see misinformation fill this site like this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    22 May 2016 #68

    Buying a Cheap Windows 10 Laptop Part 7

    Okay, you've got your budget Windows 8.1 laptop, with Windows 10 installed at the factory.

    Give your new laptop a chance to get its act together. Don't go piling on screen savers and themes until you've had time to see that everything is working right. If things are working right after a few hours, set a Restore Point.

    There are some reports that MS waits two days before sending upgrades to a new Win 10. If you start locking up, go to Settings--Updates and Security, and see if you have updates waiting. Send them through while you do not use your rig, and that should give them a chance.

    A powerful rig can often blast its way through a problem, but a budget laptop isn't a powerful rig. Use Defender as your anti-virus because it won't clash with your OS. Other than the free Malwarebytes Anti-virus, you need no other security as long as you keep credit card numbers, etc., off your machine.

    Try to limit yourself to apps from the Microsoft Store, or least software with the MS brand. This will give you less clashes.

    Sometimes your new laptop needs extra time to get a program running. You might just need to walk away and let it work things out.

    Keep your emotions under control. Life is too important for the stress, grief, rage, and hysteria that some people practice.

    And that's it! I've successfully used budget laptops for years, and they are worth the price.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 May 2016 #69
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    And, hopefully the last post in the series...which contains even more false and useless information than any of the others.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    22 May 2016 #70
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And, hopefully the last post in the series...which contains even more false and useless information than any of the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Massi View Post
    Buying a Cheap Windows 10 Laptop Part 7

    Okay, you've got your budget Windows 8.1 laptop, with Windows 10 installed at the factory.

    Give your new laptop a chance to get its act together. Don't go piling on screen savers and themes until you've had time to see that everything is working right. If things are working right after a few hours, set a Restore Point.

    There are some reports that MS waits two days before sending upgrades to a new Win 10. If you start locking up, go to Settings--Updates and Security, and see if you have updates waiting. Send them through while you do not use your rig, and that should give them a chance.

    A powerful rig can often blast its way through a problem, but a budget laptop isn't a powerful rig. Use Defender as your anti-virus because it won't clash with your OS. Other than the free Malwarebytes Anti-virus, you need no other security as long as you keep credit card numbers, etc., off your machine.

    Try to limit yourself to apps from the Microsoft Store, or least software with the MS brand. This will give you less clashes.

    Sometimes your new laptop needs extra time to get a program running. You might just need to walk away and let it work things out.

    Keep your emotions under control. Life is too important for the stress, grief, rage, and hysteria that some people practice.

    And that's it! I've successfully used budget laptops for years, and they are worth the price.
    I sure wish you never posted any of this garbage. The two statements I highlighted are just flat out wrong and show a real level of misunderstanding it's almost scary.

    1) Try to limit yourself to apps from the Microsoft Store, or least software with the MS brand. This will give you less clashes.
    Clashes.. with what?? Each other?? Care to support that with evidence.. a link possible??

    2) Sometimes your new laptop needs extra time to get a program running. You might just need to walk away and let it work things out.
    Sort things out?? Now that's funny.. and incorrect as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums