Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    15 May 2016 #11
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Pretoria South Africa
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro Build 1703 15063.332
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    Live Tiles have been an on again and off again issue for a long time. It is just possible that Microsoft is pulling certain tiles from the OS, because they are not getting used as they thought that they were. If they show in Universal App's and you can open them, the repair install can end up causing bigger headaches. A Restore point does not always work. As for backup software, there is better options than Macrum.
    Just spent the weekend "restoring" to a previous restore point ( twice, two different restore points) and the problems remain. So what does one conclude if a restore point fails? Is it just possible that the "damage" does not have anything to do with the OS, but in fact is something corrupt in the user data, in which case the problem just remains ...? Does the creation of a "restore" point only address the OS etc, and does not in fact "store" anything specifically related to user data, specifically, anything on your device related to user profiles?

    And I completely agree with you on the "repair install" in relation to universal apps. What does a repair install do if there is nothing wrong with the universal Apps files and files relating to the start menu? The more I scratch the more I seem to find that none of these solutions do anything if there are no corrupt/lost files in the first place.

    An Intriguing question that has now arisen with me is what is actually the best way of working? Using ONLY a local account on each device ( like we used to all these years) and laughing off this idea of a "universal MS account" that can be used on more than one device? Is this not where the problem in fact lies?
    Last edited by Geoff Daniell; 15 May 2016 at 16:10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 May 2016 #12
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,355
    Mac OS Sierra

    All that you have to do to restore the tiles is go through the steps listed in the tutorial. There is no need to go through a bunch of restore points.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 May 2016 #13
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 92
    64-bit Windows 10 Home

    Whoa! -That was strange! Just lost everything on my Start page, so on a whim, I signed out and then signed back in, and Start page is back and all correct tiles . . . what the?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 May 2016 #14
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,355
    Mac OS Sierra

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrant01 View Post
    Whoa! -That was strange! Just lost everything on my Start page, so on a whim, I signed out and then signed back in, and Start page is back and all correct tiles . . . what the?
    Most likely your synced profile is messed up if you log in with a Live account. There has been some issues since the last update that got pushed out to Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    16 May 2016 #15
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Pretoria South Africa
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro Build 1703 15063.332
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    Most likely your synced profile is messed up if you log in with a Live account. There has been some issues since the last update that got pushed out to Windows 10.
    Yes that is exactly it, but how does one recover from such a situation?

    The process that triggered all of this is this one

    Code:
    Source
    @{microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6868.40731.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps/hxcommintl/AppManifest_CalendarDesktop_DisplayName}
    Summary
    Stopped responding and was closed
    Date
    2016-05-04 11:13
    Status
    Report sent
    Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6868.40731.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxCalendarAppImm.exe
    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    MoAppHang
    Package Full Name:    microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6868.40731.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Application Name:    praid:microsoft.windowslive.calendar
    Application Version:    16.0.6868.4073
    Application Timestamp:    57215315
    Hang Signature:    621c
    Hang Type:    4194304
    OS Version:    10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID:    1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1:    621c4280da41b1c759c58af079071837
    Additional Hang Signature 2:    0c6e
    Additional Hang Signature 3:    0c6e4d248bbe26da729e1177a0fb0d05
    Additional Hang Signature 4:    621c
    Additional Hang Signature 5:    621c4280da41b1c759c58af079071837
    Additional Hang Signature 6:    0c6e
    Additional Hang Signature 7:    0c6e4d248bbe26da729e1177a0fb0d05
    Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID:    d45107da2f266fbea8d7843ccaee2106 (133327316821)
    
    I do not use calendar, so why would this universal App cause MS Edge to stop, and then finally, lead to the loss of the start menu and access to other universal Apps when logged on to my MS account?

    It would seem the answer is to clear out my MS account some how and start afresh but how?


    Further to this issue, which may explain why the first thing that went wrong was access to MS Edge. the following folder is completely missing from the user data for my MS Account log in
    C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default

    The highlighted (bold) folders are completely missing from my profile data.
    Compared with the local test account I created.
    Last edited by Geoff Daniell; 16 May 2016 at 11:37.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 May 2016 #16
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,355
    Mac OS Sierra

    If the app hangs up, it could be a issue with the server that serves up Live content or a firewall blocking the port. All that you can do with tiles is hope that Microsoft's servers are not getting slammed to keep content from being returned back to your machine.

    I would just turn off Live updates and then let things settle down. You can run the Flush of the cache for the DNS and Winsock repair if that may flush out issues. The Farbar Mini Toolbox and Service Scanner tools are really good for any issues with the connection, unless you find out that your Internet Security software is the problem. Then you end up resetting the rules.

    Majorgeeks.com has them on their site. Just do a search for "Farbar". They are hosted off of Bleeping Computer. I would grab them and save all of the Farbar tools.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 May 2016 #17

    I had the same thing happen and I solved it the same way. I work in IT and my company has 3000 pc's and and what's happening is profile are becoming corrupt. We had this happen frequently with out XP machines. Your profile is made up of files on a drive and files do get corrupted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    16 May 2016 #18
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Pretoria South Africa
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro Build 1703 15063.332
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    If the app hangs up, it could be a issue with the server that serves up Live content or a firewall blocking the port. All that you can do with tiles is hope that Microsoft's servers are not getting slammed to keep content from being returned back to your machine.

    I would just turn off Live updates and then let things settle down. You can run the Flush of the cache for the DNS and Winsock repair if that may flush out issues. The Farbar Mini Toolbox and Service Scanner tools are really good for any issues with the connection, unless you find out that your Internet Security software is the problem. Then you end up resetting the rules.

    Majorgeeks.com has them on their site. Just do a search for "Farbar". They are hosted off of Bleeping Computer. I would grab them and save all of the Farbar tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by orlbuckeye View Post
    I had the same thing happen and I solved it the same way. I work in IT and my company has 3000 pc's and and what's happening is profile are becoming corrupt. We had this happen frequently with out XP machines. Your profile is made up of files on a drive and files do get corrupted.
    Thanks for this. the files you are talking about that get corrupted, are these on my machine or on the MS servers responsible for returning data to my PC? Based on the other report below, it would seem that it could be the servers being prevented form returning data for an unknown reason ( loss of connectivity or corrupted files)?

    Thanks for the info, I think I am getting to understand this issue now.
    On the 4 may 2016, at about the same time MS Edge stopped working, there was a Windows Defender update running. As I do not use Defender but instead Norton, I did not think anything of it. Is it possible the Defender update somehow caused a momentary break in connectivity?

    I will try your solutions with the suggested tools. thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    16 May 2016 #19
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,355
    Mac OS Sierra

    It is not corruption that is causing this. It is the app crashing when it cannot communicate with the servers that handout Live information or update the app if it is static, such as Email.

    There is nothing that you can do about it, since Microsoft has refused to listen that they have a server issue, which affects this data, that is not only for Windows, but also XBox and their phone platforms.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    16 May 2016 #20
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Pretoria South Africa
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro Build 1703 15063.332
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    It is not corruption that is causing this. It is the app crashing when it cannot communicate with the servers that handout Live information or update the app if it is static, such as Email.

    There is nothing that you can do about it, since Microsoft has refused to listen that they have a server issue, which affects this data, that is not only for Windows, but also XBox and their phone platforms.
    thank you!

    I appreciate all the help and suggestions offered on this thread I think we can mark this one as "Solved" even if the solution is not a permanent one!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved No Start Menu/Page-- No Cortana-- No Notifications-- Out of Patience!
Following search results, I have tried the "scannow" and 'reinstall all Windows apps' suggestions. Scannow found no errors, and reinstalling Windows apps did nothing to help. When I click on the Start button (that usually brings up the Programs...
General Support
Start menu, Notifications and Apps stopped working.
So yesterday I was just watching some videos on youtube and then the screen flashed for a second and started everything started acting up. I restarted my computer and since then, the start menu, notifications and all apps like the xbox app and store...
General Support
Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work
Hello , suddenly my start menu , search and notifications not work. Even if i click on it it dont opens. I did this solution with this copy pasta at PowerShell but dont works : Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage...
General Support
Maps App will not delete or open Google maps
I do not want to use windows/microsoft Maps I have been using Google Maps and have found I can crte an Icon & Tile that will pin to start but want to remove the Maps Tile or make it do the job. So far I have failed to remove it or get it to open...
Software and Apps
problem with start menu, search and new notifications
I'm having a problem with the start menu, search and new notifications not responding to a click. I think it might be tied to the fact I am using a local logon only. I have created a new user that logs onto Microsoft that doesn't seem to have this...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums