What is the source of Printer Status Events in Windows 10? Event View

  1.    11 May 2016 #1

    What is the source of Printer Status Events in Windows 10? Event View


    While looking at Event Viewer, if I send a file to Print, I can see various entries in the logs regarding spooling and cancelled jobs - all located in:
    Microsoft->Windows->PrintSystems
    But if I send a print job to an offline printer or if there is some other error, like the printer having no paper. I see no reference to an event in the Event Viewer, even though I receive a slide in notification in Windows 10.
    Is there a different service that handles these?
    It seems that something is catching those warnings or dialogs, but I just cant figure out which source is handling them? It's definitely not PrintSystems.
    Is there an error logging attribute I am not checking regarding PrintSystems? I saw something of the kind in references to Windows 7 but for Windows 10 it seems it has been changed.
    The reason is I am trying to create a task referencing these warnings and errors.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Arc's Avatar
    Posts : 1,643
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       11 May 2016 #2

    A great lot of event logs are noise only.
    If you are not having an issue, there is no real need to pay attention to those events.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    11 May 2016 #3

    Im just guessing but the Spooler basically organizied the jobs to be sent to the printer. The event logs tracks Windows error and I'm not sure if the error is at the printer that Windows would record that in the even log. I could see it saying a failure of some type but not the specific.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    11 May 2016 #4

    Well,...because I am trying to schedule a task in accordance with specific noise (errors and warnings associated with the print job).
    Arc said: View Post
    A great lot of event logs are noise only.
    If you are not having an issue, there is no real need to pay attention to those events.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 May 2016 #5

    Exactly. I'm fine with the failure or error being non-specific, but I am having a hard time finding which is the source for that event. Im sure that I am not going to find the event that says "event ID 304 : paper jam" but I am getting a notification on the desktop to the effect of "Printer needs your attention." If I can find the source of this message (I guess it would be the source of desktop notifications?) then I think I might be able to triangulate what I need. Not sure.

    orlbuckeye said: View Post
    Im just guessing but the Spooler basically organizied the jobs to be sent to the printer. The event logs tracks Windows error and I'm not sure if the error is at the printer that Windows would record that in the even log. I could see it saying a failure of some type but not the specific.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    11 May 2016 #6

    But I'm nto sure if that is an event Windows would track. I assume all windows knows is there is an error and the printer would have the detail of the error. I assume Windows does some type of handshaking with the printer to see if the printer received the command. I know I look in the properties to detail about a printing problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    11 May 2016 #7

    I think I understand. But I am still puzzled by the notifications. I feel like those must be logged somewhere as an event, no?

    If "PrintSystems" logged an error event then I think I would be fine. But no errors are being logged. Does printing to an offline printer or a printer out of paper usually result in an error event? I noticed that in previous versions of Windows you could manually enable or disable the logging of errors or warnings for a source like PrintSystems. I don't see that option anymore, rather it just says "Enable logging"

    orlbuckeye said: View Post
    But I'm nto sure if that is an event Windows would track. I assume all windows knows is there is an error and the printer would have the detail of the error. I assume Windows does some type of handshaking with the printer to see if the printer received the command. I know I look in the properties to detail about a printing problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    11 May 2016 #8

    From personal experience communication problems between printer and computer/OS could be a driver issue. You could check the printer manufacturer's website for an updated driver. You could also try running the Microsoft Troubleshooter.

    Fix printer problems - Windows Help -
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    11 May 2016 #9

    Appreciate the response but the communication is definitely happening. But I will look into the drivers as the printers are network printers with auto downloaded drivers. But there is no real trouble as I am being alerted to a printer problem with a notification that "printer needs your attention".

    marsmimar said: View Post
    From personal experience communication problems between printer and computer/OS could be a driver issue. You could check the printer manufacturer's website for an updated driver. You could also try running the Microsoft Troubleshooter.

    Fix printer problems - Windows Help -
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi :), I open Windows Event Viewer often (most days) to take a look for entries in the Windows 10 created Filter Custom Views> ServerRoles> Administrative Events. (especially as my Win 10Pro (x64) is newly installed)What I wish to seek advice on...
Hello everyone, I keep seeing this error appear several times a day, even during idle, in my Event Viewer. I did a clean install of build 10586 less than a month ago. I'm not having any overt issues yet, but the error is disturbing. ...
EDIT: ARGH, sorry, meant to post this in General Discussion forum, I have no idea if it is a network issue. Hello everyone, I keep seeing this error appear several times a day, even during idle, in my Event Viewer. I did a clean install of...
Just installed Win10 yesterday, and taking a first look at the Calendar app. Unless I have overlooked something, this app has a flaw that makes it almost not worth using. I'm using the app to display my Google Calendar events, a month at a time....
I would like, if it's possible, to stop a certain event from getting written to the event log. I know the source and the event id number. I've tried the option 'Filter current log . The problem is that when I get out of the Event Log and back in...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:26.
Find Us