Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    08 May 2016 #1
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 pro

    I have broken W 10 by trying to take ownership of C:\ please help!


    Ok so earlier I did something completely stupid, I tried to take ownership of C:\ in user permissions and changed from trustedinstalller to my username as I was having admin privilege problems and nothing was working.

    Well turns out that is a very bad idea (the other site I read this on gave no warning for doing it on C:\) and now, whilst windows is working and all my files still remain, I cannot use the start bar, Microsoft edge won't even open and the start button won't work either I also had a warning that recycle bin had corrupted but that seems to be fixed now for some reason.

    Now, failing there being a way to fix this (I have yet to find a fix despite numerous searches on google and the ones I have found won't work) I am probably looking at a reset of the OS :-(.

    Now this is where I need help, I don't want to have to reinstall a bunch of steam games or setup my game emulators again, I also I don't want to have to lose my files folders and installed programs like my custom Intel rapid storage tech which is the only one that doesn't give me bluescreens.

    Is there anyway I can literally backup all my data and then reinstall! windows and then run the backup so it all goes back to exactly how it was before? With all my reg edits and old files, all my saved windows setting etc?

    Or is there a way I can repair windows without losing anything? Literally just a repair of windows itself and all my programs and files and folders will stay in tact?

    Please help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 May 2016 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2,961
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1709 Build 16299.125

    If you have setup System Restore Points then the simplest approach is to restore to a point in time before you made the changes to your C:\ drive.

    System Restore Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    09 May 2016 #3
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by philc43 View Post
    If you have setup System Restore Points then the simplest approach is to restore to a point in time before you made the changes to your C:\ drive.

    System Restore Windows 10
    Unfortunately there was no restore points despite the fact that I only made one the day before and there was none before that either.

    Could I try and use media creation tool tto possibly fix it?
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 May 2016 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,974
    10.4 Home 1709 x64

    You could try Windows Repair to reset file permissions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 May 2016 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2,961
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1709 Build 16299.125

    The best way to repair windows without losing anything is to do an in-place upgrade. Follow the tutorial below:

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    09 May 2016 #6
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by philc43 View Post
    The best way to repair windows without losing anything is to do an in-place upgrade. Follow the tutorial below:

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    Going to attempt it now using media creation tool, wish me luck. Is it probably best to back all my files up with something like easetodo before hand on a seperate hard drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    09 May 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,814
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil0sophy View Post
    Going to attempt it now using media creation tool, wish me luck. Is it probably best to back all my files up with something like easetodo before hand on a seperate hard drive?
    No-one will ever tell you not to make a backup

    However I've done dozens of in-place upgrades in Windows 10 and never had a problem losing anything.

    Note that in-place upgrade will only replace your C:\Windows directory. It will not fix "C:\Program Files" and so on. It is a (I think fairly major) risk to have these other directories with the wrong permissions especially if you granted full authority. There is a reason that directories containing programs are read only.

    If I was you I would backup my data, scrap the lot and do a clean install. It only takes a few hours unless you have a huge number of extra programs to re-install and at least you will be certain all is OK.

    Alternatively you can try to reset your other permissions (in addition to the posts above there are some instructions here) but I would never be 100% sure that they are correct and covered everything. In particular there is a new group in Windows 10 (perhaps also in 8, I can't remember) called APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES which is used to grant authority to the new Metro style apps. No steps or tools I've read about to reset permissions seem to cover this group at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 May 2016 #8
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    No-one will ever tell you not to make a backup

    However I've done dozens of in-place upgrades in Windows 10 and never had a problem losing anything.

    Note that in-place upgrade will only replace your C:\Windows directory. It will not fix "C:\Program Files" and so on. It is a (I think fairly major) risk to have these other directories with the wrong permissions especially if you granted full authority. There is a reason that directories containing programs are read only.

    If I was you I would backup my data, scrap the lot and do a clean install. It only takes a few hours unless you have a huge number of extra programs to re-install and at least you will be certain all is OK.

    Alternatively you can try to reset your other permissions (in addition to the posts above there are some instructions here) but I would never be 100% sure that they are correct and covered everything. In particular there is a new group in Windows 10 (perhaps also in 8, I can't remember) called APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES which is used to grant authority to the new Metro style apps. No steps or tools I've read about to reset permissions seem to cover this group at all.
    Well basically this is the situation now, I used the media creation tool, everything is back to how it was now, the search bar is working again HOWEVER I have noticed that all the windows apps are still not working, windows store, calculator, microsoft edge, none of these things will even open, edge flickers open for maybe half a millisecond but that's it.

    If I make a new user account all these thing are working but obviously I want to avoid doing that if I can because it seems a ballache having to reset so many things back to how I had them (mouse sensitivity and a number of other things I tweaked to get things running perfect for my main purpose which is gaming.)

    so I guess my question is now, can I fix these apps? Or is that what you are describing above when you say about permissions not being fixable on windows apps?

    Also, if I do reinstall windows completely does that mean all my backed program files will still have the permissions affected because I backed them up after the initial permissions change?
    Last edited by Phil0sophy; 09 May 2016 at 08:49.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    09 May 2016 #9
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter

    Just started getting "The recycle bin on c:\ is corrupt" again, to hell with it, I am doing a clean install, seems like more work than it needs to be trying to fix things.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    09 May 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,814
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil0sophy View Post
    so I guess my question is now, can I fix these apps? Or is that what you are describing above when you say about permissions not being fixable on windows apps?
    I'm not saying you can't. Just I don't know how and the thing is that you might spend ages looking into all this and then give up and clean install or (if you are happy with it) just using the new account that works. I've spent days faffing around in this sort of situation before admitting defeat.

    There are a couple of things you could look into though (this is not exhaustive of course)...

    1. C:\Program Files\WindowsApps must have authority for the ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES group. (this is where the apps you describe reside). Assuming you only changed ownership of directories and didn't mess with DCOM permissions this may be the solution. The owner of this directory should be TrustedInstaller , the contents should grant read and execute and list to ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES group.
    2. %localappdata% contains a directory called TileDataLayer which has a database containing your start menu layout and (as far as I can figure out) authority to individual modern apps. You could try copying the whole directory from another account. See here Solved Resetting Win 10 Start Menu - Windows 10 Forums. It should be owned by your profile so you'd have to change it after if you do that.
    3. %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Counters.dat file corruption often causes a problem for Edge. You can sign on another account and delete it (See here Solved Problems downloading with Edge - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums). It should be owned by your profile and ALL APPPLICATION PACKAGES needs read & execute


    You may have better luck than me (or just enjoy it - I do) but you could have done a clean install in this time anyway.

    That is what I (eventually) ended up doing after messing up all my permissions

    If however you want to go along with fixing it and are not sure what permissions a certain directory should have just ask and I'll check it for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Issues after taking ownership of C:\
Hi there. I've been rather stupid and transferred ownership of C:\, including system32, to my account (the administrator and only user). While I would instantly switch it back, due to an unrelated reason I restarted my computer (Surface Pro 4)....
General Support
Solved 'take ownership' in Win 10
In my trusty Win 7 I had installed/inserted a 'take ownership' command in the normal task bar when right clicking on an object. I think this was from Brink ? Is this available in 10 and is it the same process to install it ? Thanks....TiminAz
User Accounts and Family Safety
cant take ownership AND remove read only
ok so i upgraded from win 7 to win 10 pro and now i am unable to take ownership of my extra drives as well as change the folders from read only please help
General Support
Solved How to take ownership of system files via CMD?
Google failed me this, people mentioned using setacl/subinacl, but no idea, how to use it. Running typical commands as admin does not work for system folders/files. Like those: takeown /f "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender" /a /r /d y icacls...
General Support
Users not having ownership of files
I just noticed that a large amount of users than what is normally observed are having ownership issues. Do all files require ownership? How exactly does this happen. I don't own any external HDD, but I assume most people with external drives don't...
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums