Windows 10: What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       26 Mar 2015 #1

    What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10?


    What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10?

    Do you think Microsoft would ever do that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64
       26 Mar 2015 #2

    What do you mean? Are you talking about linux again and swapping KDE for something else?

    If so, no, of course not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    26 Mar 2015 #3

    Short answer.. no.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       26 Mar 2015 #4

    Adamf,

    No swapping, the default desktops would remain installed.

    I hate to brink up Linux again. For example in Ubuntu or almost any distro you can add other smaller desktops. Adding Kde and Gnome may conflict with the current desktop installed.

    Sample would be
    Sudo apt-get install xfce4

    In windows
    Oneget install w31destkop, w95desktop or w98desktop or wmedesktop or w2000desktop or wvistadesktop or windows7desktop or window81desktop or Wntdesktop and so on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 Mar 2015 #5

    groze said: View Post
    Adamf,

    No swapping, the default desktops would remain installed.

    I hate to brink up Linux again. For example in Ubuntu or almost any distro you can add other smaller desktops. Adding Kde and Gnome may conflict with the current desktop installed.

    Sample would be
    Sudo apt-get install xfce4

    In windows
    Oneget install w31destkop, w95desktop or w98desktop or wmedesktop or w2000desktop or wvistadesktop or windows7desktop or window81desktop or Wntdesktop and so on.
    It seems that you like Linux more that Windows.. and that's cool but please stop wishing that Windows looks/functions like Linux. It's not going to happen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       26 Mar 2015 #6

    Then why is Microsoft getting oneget?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    26 Mar 2015 #7

    groze said: View Post
    Then why is Microsoft getting oneget?
    It's an enhancement.. but what you want is not going to happen. Really, if you like Linux that much use it and skip Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,424
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       26 Mar 2015 #8

    groze said: View Post
    Then why is Microsoft getting oneget?
    I'm sure OneGet was implemented for many reasons other than making it necessarily do what Linux does.

    But to answer your question, here is a tutorial that will show you a couple of uses- PowerShell OneGet - Install Apps from Command Line - Windows 10 Forums

    -Jamie
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       26 Mar 2015 #9

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    It's an enhancement.. but what you want is not going to happen. Really, if you like Linux that much use it and skip Windows.
    I still use windows 7 and most likely will stick with windows 7 with some form of Linux installed. I say I use them about equal, right now I am posting from windows 7. I still have a checkbook program I made with windows 7 Microsoft works database that I still use. I didn't like any of the free checkbook software.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64
       26 Mar 2015 #10

    groze said: View Post
    Adamf,

    No swapping, the default desktops would remain installed.

    I hate to brink up Linux again. For example in Ubuntu or almost any distro you can add other smaller desktops. Adding Kde and Gnome may conflict with the current desktop installed.

    Sample would be
    Sudo apt-get install xfce4

    In windows
    Oneget install w31destkop, w95desktop or w98desktop or wmedesktop or w2000desktop or wvistadesktop or windows7desktop or window81desktop or Wntdesktop and so on.
    Well, no. That isn't how Windows works. As with OSX you use the UI you are given (subject to a limited bit of customisation). That is really the whole point.

    If you don't like it then you have to use a different OS where you can install whatever DM you want.

    OneGet is only a (currently rather limited) way of installing things that actually exist. You can't use it to install things that no-one has written.

    Similarly you cant hope
    sudo apt-get free_version_of_MSOffice_and_a_start_button_that_looks_like_a_cucumber
    will work on any version of linux.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Which would be the preferred option - W10 Multiple Desktops or a 3rd-party utility such as Dexpot...? T.
Which SSD are you guys using and how much of a speed increase has it given your boot times. I bought a Samsung 850 Evo 256Gb, it takes about 10 seconds to boot to the lock screen. I am still in awe about how much faster they are.
Trying to pick and choose 74 GB of games, and other files out of 200 GB to move over to the small and slow 75 GB IDE HDD to save for doing a clean wipe is very frustrating...... i sure hope its worth it.. This is gunna take awhile
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:14.
Find Us