Windows 10: What do you guys think of installable desktops for windows 10?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1.    09 Apr 2015 #41

    badrobot said: View Post
    Doing things using a command line is kind of backwards for Windows OS (on user level) but I personally don't have problems with it. I've been using Linux for a while and I am quite familiar with the concept.
    Not a bad idea. It brings out the geeks in us.
    The core system is an API, and there is a command line. GUI's can and will be built, you can be certain. But its still in development.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       09 Apr 2015 #42

    badrobot said: View Post
    Have you tried using USB instead of DVD? USB is much faster.
    But with regards to your DVD issue, always use the slowest burn speed (x6). Faster burn speeds is prone to errors.
    @badrobot

    I think you misunderstood me. I already have the dell re-installation dvd legal got from dell. What I was wanting to do is create a custom windows 7 iso from the windows 7 re-installation dvd. When I create an windows 7 iso from the dvd it is not copying the boot sector of the dvd, I am using an old imgburn. I was asking Kari, if it is possible to add stuff that you want like drivers, programs, wallpaper, to the windows 7 installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       09 Apr 2015 #43

    Kari said: View Post
    Please educate, enlighten me! How on earth you can find an EULA violation in this? Creating a system image before entering the product key? or are you saying creating the image is already an EULA violation?

    I have every right to customize my Windows install image as I see fit, doing it in my way it's done before any product key is used.

    When restored / deployed to other machines I then activate the Windows with proper, valid and legal product key.
    @Kari

    I agree.
    If you published your custom images on the web then it would violate the EULA, using your own custom images wouldn't if not published. You are using the images on your own computers that you bought. I see that as legal. Instead of having to install the image one at a time on each computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       09 Apr 2015 #44

    groze said: View Post
    @Kari

    I agree.
    If you published your custom images on the web then it would violate the EULA, using your own custom images wouldn't if not published. You are using the images on your own computers that you bought. I see that as legal. Instead of having to install the image one at a time on each computer.
    You can publish the image online and it would still won't violate anything (if anyone can find it useful). If you make it pre-activated or provided a key for it, then that's another story.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       09 Apr 2015 #45

    groze said: View Post
    @badrobot

    I think you misunderstood me. I already have the dell re-installation dvd legal got from dell. What I was wanting to do is create a custom windows 7 iso from the windows 7 re-installation dvd. When I create an windows 7 iso from the dvd it is not copying the boot sector of the dvd, I am using an old imgburn. I was asking Kari, if it is possible to add stuff that you want like drivers, programs, wallpaper, to the windows 7 installation.


    You don't have to pound hard on that word "legal". You can get an installer online, anywhere. Getting a DVD installer from authorized distributor does not make it legal or illegal. It has nothing to do with legality at all. What makes it legal is having a genuine product key (or license) for it and you use it as per EULA.


    If you have a genuine product key, you can download the ISO from MS website: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

    You can use that ISO to create your custome image. But you can also extract the ISO from the DVD you have and it's not illegal to do so.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       09 Apr 2015 #46

    @badrobot,

    The use of "legal" was caused by a novice poster claiming that my system was not legally installed. I still don't think he understood. I bought windows 7 dell system online at wal-mart. There were some issues with-it, dell sent me a windows 7 re-instllation disk to fix it. It did for the moment. Then dell replaced the motherboard at no-charge. The re-installation disk still worked for the new motherboard and windows was still pre-activated. No install key was even required in both cases. I do have an OEM key, I used one for the 32 bit install when it was available at digital rivers to try out my 16 bit software. 16 bit software didn't work to well. Linux wine worked better for 16 bit software. If I have to use that key again, I may have to call Microsoft if I need to use the OEM key again for the 64 bit version of windows 7. I am back to using the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version has been removed.


    Another reason I use "legal". I want the mods and administrators to know my system is legal and not pirated.


    Publish the image online, I am not so sure about that. I thought it had to be by authorized distributors. Otherwise, 7 forums could publish the windows 7 isos downloads.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       09 Apr 2015 #47

    groze said: View Post
    @badrobot,

    The use of "legal" was caused by a novice poster claiming that my system was not legally installed. I still don't think he understood. I bought windows 7 dell system online at wal-mart. There were some issues with-it, dell sent me a windows 7 re-instllation disk to fix it. It did for the moment. Then dell replaced the motherboard at no-charge. The re-installation disk still worked for the motherboard and windows was still pre-activated. No install key was even required in both cases. I do have an OEM key, I used one for the 32 bit install when it was available at digital rivers to try out my 16 bit software. 16 bit software didn't work to well. Linux wine worked better for 16 bit software. If I have to use that key again, I may have to call Microsoft if I need to use the OEM key again for the 64 bit version of windows 7. I am back to using the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version has been removed.
    If Dell did the hardware swapping, there should really be no need for a key. They are using volume license key for multiple installation or they pre-installed a KMS client setup key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Related Threads
Which would be the preferred option - W10 Multiple Desktops or a 3rd-party utility such as Dexpot...? T.
Which SSD are you guys using and how much of a speed increase has it given your boot times. I bought a Samsung 850 Evo 256Gb, it takes about 10 seconds to boot to the lock screen. I am still in awe about how much faster they are.
Trying to pick and choose 74 GB of games, and other files out of 200 GB to move over to the small and slow 75 GB IDE HDD to save for doing a clean wipe is very frustrating...... i sure hope its worth it.. This is gunna take awhile
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57.
Find Us