Windows 10: Whats the Cheapest Way to Get Win 10?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    04 May 2016 #1

    Whats the Cheapest Way to Get Win 10?


    I want to know the cheapest way to get win 10. I read that you can buy a windows 7 key, install win 7 then upgrade to win 10.

    I also read you can buy a win 10 OEM license for $20 and you get all the updates. But if something stops working you can't get support from microsoft.

    Let me know what's the cheapest way to get win 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,771
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       04 May 2016 #2

    If your present computer is running Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1, then you are entitled to have a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update.
    You can also download Windows 10 iso file and do an In-place Upgrade Install. That is also free.
    Those are your cheapest way.

    So, the question is : with the computer you are planning to upgrade, what operating system it is now running ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    04 May 2016 #3

    davidhk said: View Post
    If your present computer is running Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1, then you are entitled to have a FREE upgrade to Windows 10.
    That is your cheapest way.

    So, the question is : with the computer you are planning to upgrade, what operating system it is now running ?
    I'm not running any operating system cuz I'm in the process of building my desktop this week or the next. So I don't have any o/s at the moment. That's why I ask since I'm on a budget.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,771
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       04 May 2016 #4

    Thank you for the clarification.

    I am not familiar with the purchase of an OEM license. Theoretically that is, shall we say, not exactly legal.
    But I also am aware that many people did exactly that way.

    I prefer not to go further with this topic, as I am old-fashioned and I prefer to, shall I say, go by the book.

    I am sure someone else will come along quickly and lead you to promised land.
    Good luck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 May 2016 #5

    No idea where you live, but you can buy a legal copy of Windows 7 on Amazon for about 40 dollars. Never seen Windows 10 going for 20 bucks ....that's sounds fishy to me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    04 May 2016 #6

    davidhk said: View Post

    I am not familiar with the purchase of an OEM license. Theoretically that is, shall we say, not exactly legal.
    How is that not legal? That makes no sense.
    OldMike65 said: View Post
    No idea where you live, but you can buy a legal copy of Windows 7 on Amazon for about 40 dollars. Never seen Windows 10 going for 20 bucks ....that's sounds fishy to me.
    I'm in usa. Or maybe they sell a win 7 product key for cheaper on eBay.

    If I buy a key, do I just then download a win 7 trial then enter the key and it'll be registered?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    04 May 2016 #7

    You got to be careful buying a key on Ebay ....some are not legal valid keys, even if they say that they are!!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    04 May 2016 #8

    davidhk said: View Post
    Thank you for the clarification.

    I am not familiar with the purchase of an OEM license. Theoretically that is, shall we say, not exactly legal.
    But I also am aware that many people did exactly that way.

    I prefer not to go further with this topic, as I am old-fashioned and I prefer to, shall I say, go by the book.

    I am sure someone else will come along quickly and lead you to promised land.
    Good luck.

    You can buy Windows 10 OEM legally. It's sold for system builders and only good for the device it was originally installed on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,771
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       04 May 2016 #9

    ruzzi said: View Post
    How is that not legal? That makes no sense.
    Source
    Many readers tell me they bought that software and installed it on their own new (or old) PC, happily saving a significant chunk of change in the process. According to Microsoft, they are violating the terms of the OEM System Builder license agreement, which says, in convoluted language, that you must install the software using the OEM Preinstallation Kit and then resell the PC to a third party. If you install that software on your own PC, you don't have a "genuine" copy of Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    04 May 2016 #10

    ruzzi said: View Post
    I want to know the cheapest way to get win 10. I read that you can buy a windows 7 key, install win 7 then upgrade to win 10.

    I also read you can buy a win 10 OEM license for $20 and you get all the updates. But if something stops working you can't get support from microsoft.

    Let me know what's the cheapest way to get win 10.

    If you find someone selling Windows 10 OEM for $20.00 it a scam or illegal copy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Whats downloading? in General Support
I need some help. Today and also other days every now and then windows 10 downloads something, how do I check what this is? I have preview build 10586 and networx loaded, I can see it downloading and at last check its downloaded approximately...
Solved Whats the best Torrent program? in Network and Sharing
I have been using bitlord, but I'm thinking of going to another torrent program. So which is the best?
Whats a desktop picture in Chillout Room
this is a dumb error message when you consider I am in the chillout section ,and not looking for help, it didn't like my title . I type in "Whats your desktop picture "
Solved Whats New? in General Support
If this has been questioned/answered before, can I have a link please? Whats going to be 'new' in Win 10
ok so my new HDD western digital enclosure fell once with the wire in it and the port broke off:mad: i thought that western digital are top brand, enclosures included. so im looking for a sturdy new hard drive enclosure that i can put my 2.5"...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:52.
Find Us