Windows 10: Use Win10 as main OS ??

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       24 Mar 2015 #11

    I personally won't be installing 10 onto bare metal until RTM, only because I can't be arsed to keep unplugging my other SSDs/HDDs to perform clean installs. I can't wait to get in a dual boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       24 Mar 2015 #12

    Burgurne said: View Post
    Hello.
    I know Microsoft does not recommend using windows 10 as the main OS, but I have to change my mainboard and CPU next weekend, and therefor I want to do a clean install. But do I install Windows 8.1again? Or is it safe to take the chance and use Windows 10 as Main OS allthough there are no viruskillers that works (except Windows Defender).
    As I understand the news about Windows 10 it is more than 3 month away (and maybe even 6 month).

    Anybody here using it as main OS today?
    It still get hiccups every now and then. But not a bad idea to use as main OS but if your machine can accommodate 2 hard drives, install 8 and 10 on each drive. It's always nice to have a backup OS in case the other is having a bad day.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 Mar 2015 #13

    I have been using Windows 10 as my main OS since build 9841.. It actually is the only OS that booted in like 3 minutes rather then all the others i tried taking around 10 so i'm happy with that.. Small issues on the way but nothing real bad. I Love it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       24 Mar 2015 #14

    Boozad said: View Post
    I personally won't be installing 10 onto bare metal until RTM, only because I can't be arsed to keep unplugging my other SSDs/HDDs to perform clean installs. I can't wait to get in a dual boot.
    If you have removable hard drive trays, it's not that bad.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       24 Mar 2015 #15

    I would but I have a hot swap drive bay and it is quite easy for me. Windows 10 is stable enough , I just do not know if it is secure enough.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Mar 2015 #16

    It would be a bad idea to use Windows 10 in a mission critical situation. Microsoft has always recommended that the OS be used only by advanced users. Any update could have potentially serious consequences. But it is perfectly OK to use the OS in a home setting you aware of the risks and are prepared to deal with any resulting problems. The risks are yours alone

    But do be aware that the OS will expire and an upgrade to the release version may or may not be supported. In any event a clean install would be preferred.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    24 Mar 2015 #17

    My PC is a normal private one, used for surfing, gaming, homebank, photo storing, photo edit and other stuff like many others.
    My main concern is security, as the only securityprogram I have found working is Windows Defender, and this program is not very trusted in tests. Malwarebyte does also work, but that is not a complete security package.
    Windows 10 has been pretty stable so far, so that is not an issue, I think.
    I use it with Chrome, as I'm really not happy with IExplorer.
    I have made build 10041 ready to install from an USB-stick, but don't know yet what I'm going to do.

    Thank you for tour info and input about tour ude and experince with this :-)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Mar 2015 #18

    It is my experience that the person at the computer is the best (or worst!) security device. Some are happy to install/run anything whilst others are darn careful. The latter rarely get infected.

    I have only run MSE or Defender for years and never caught anything. But, there is always tomorrow!! That's what image backups are for.

    Anyway, the decision is yours to make so good luck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 14,325
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       24 Mar 2015 #19

    Burgurne said: View Post
    Hello.
    I know Microsoft does not recommend using windows 10 as the main OS, but I have to change my mainboard and CPU next weekend, and therefor I want to do a clean install. But do I install Windows 8.1again? Or is it safe to take the chance and use Windows 10 as Main OS allthough there are no viruskillers that works (except Windows Defender).
    As I understand the news about Windows 10 it is more than 3 month away (and maybe even 6 month).

    Anybody here using it as main OS today?
    I'm playing it safe, Burgurne, by dual booting on my desktop and laptop(s). Especially since Build 10041 seems to have some problems with the Internet.

    I just reinstalled Windows 10 and will use it as my main OS if the Internet problems don't crop up again. Otherwise, I'll have to go back to Windows 8.1.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    24 Mar 2015 #20

    Burgurne said: View Post
    My PC is a normal private one, used for surfing, gaming, homebank, photo storing, photo edit and other stuff like many others.
    My main concern is security, as the only securityprogram I have found working is Windows Defender, and this program is not very trusted in tests. Malwarebyte does also work, but that is not a complete security package.
    Windows 10 has been pretty stable so far, so that is not an issue, I think.
    I use it with Chrome, as I'm really not happy with IExplorer.
    I have made build 10041 ready to install from an USB-stick, but don't know yet what I'm going to do.

    Thank you for tour info and input about tour ude and experince with this :-)
    Security is a problem with Defender or any other AV program. Here is a scan of ImgBurn download from Filehippo.com a usually trusted site. The first picture shows the result from the MSE (Defender predecessor) scan and the second from Virus Total that scans with 60 different AV programs. Mind you that is exactly the same file.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-24_1939.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	15337


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-23_2212.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	15338

    What is my answer - I do all my important internet business in a virtual Linux partition. There the Windows malware dies.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Windows 10 as a main OS? in General Support
Hello, I am sorry if this question has already been answered. If so please direct me. I run W7 64 bit Utimate on my main computer. When MS offered W8 on the cheap I got it to play and replace my XP on secondary unit. Not using or enjoying that...
This morning I pulled out one of my old USB 2.0 external HDD's, and formatted it, to not only make a system image from my system disk, but also of my 2nd internal disk that's used for Libraries and backup images and File History. The time is...
I figure it's time for a little change. Also, I don't actually work off of my main machine. I have a company supplied laptop for that. All I do with my main machine is manage my home affairs, files, occasionally game, watch Netflix, etc... The...
Solved Main Display Issue in General Support
Anyone come across this issue? Tagging Kari in to add to the list of bugs found in Win10 if it is determined to be a bug. I have 3 monitors, i always have the middle screen as my main display however today i noticed that the time/date and...
Win 10 Main in General Support
i remember when 8 was let out at preview stage i used it on my main pc. most said dont do it, i had no problems so i am about to do the same with '10'. i think its good enough:party:
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44.
Find Us