Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    24 Mar 2015 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Pell City, Alabama 35125
    Posts : 1,246
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

    Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot


    So, basically if we have a computer that doesn't have a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot, then we can't upgrade to Windows 10? Am I right or wrong here?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    24 Mar 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I know when I updated to Build 10041 I had to set up Secure Boot on my motherboard BIOS before it would work. That was not the case in any of the previous builds. But given the number of older PC's I hope not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    24 Mar 2015 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 828
    Windows 10 Pro

    could be just for newer machines as lots of old bios machines still about doubt MS want to upset millions or people with not being able to upgrade to windows 10 as there said lots of time they want everyone on the latest versions of windows
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Mar 2015 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Williams View Post
    So, basically if we have a computer that doesn't have a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot, then we can't upgrade to Windows 10? Am I right or wrong here?
    Wrong.
    I updated my Windows 7 (just for testing) with UEFI and Secure Boot disabled and everything is fine.
    One guy I know here ( @TechnoMage ) is using a decade old machine to run Windows 10 (is that right TM?).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Mar 2015 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,441
    win 10 Insider

    I have an old Dell E520 with P4 processor and win 10 runs on that. Certainly this mobo/BIOS has never heard of secure boots or UEFI!!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Mar 2015 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Pell City, Alabama 35125
    Posts : 1,246
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Well, let's just hope secure boot with UEFI is not required. I've just been reading online about it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    24 Mar 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,885
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Williams View Post
    So, basically if we have a computer that doesn't have a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot, then we can't upgrade to Windows 10? Am I right or wrong here?
    Not at all, Jesse. I have two laptops with Legacy BIOS and both have Windows 10 on them.

    I just finished installing Build 10041 and according to instructions, I had to disable Secure Boot before installation.

    Edit: Once installation was complete, I then re-enabled Secure Boot like the 'structions said.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Mar 2015 #8

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Wrong.
    I updated my Windows 7 (just for testing) with UEFI and Secure Boot disabled and everything is fine.
    One guy I know here ( @TechnoMage ) is using a decade old machine to run Windows 10 (is that right TM?).
    Hi there

    currently running on an OLD system with ASUS Mobo and AMD Phenom processor -- secure boot or UEFI wasn't even THOUGHT of when this system was built. !!!!!

    Running X-64 ENTERPRISE GB version.

    Note though even with SECURE boot and UEFI you CAN also install W10 by simply disabling the Secure boot.

    Tested on an HP laptop.

    (if you format the boot HDD / SSD to MBR rather than GPT you don't even need to use UEFI enabled either).

    Finally if Ms go the crazy route of forcing secure boot - I'm sure this will kill zillions of users who use this OS in a VM or even corporates using Virtual Desktop Integration schemes -- in a VM you can enable UEFI even on a non UEFI machine with some VM type software (VMware for example) but you can't yet enable secure boot in the VM's Virtual Bios. I think the whole secure boot thing will just be a "nine days wonder" and disappear from discussion soon. Ms will USE it but won't ENFORCE it.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    25 Mar 2015 #9
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Central Florida
    Posts : 346
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Wrong.
    I updated my Windows 7 (just for testing) with UEFI and Secure Boot disabled and everything is fine.
    One guy I know here ( @TechnoMage ) is using a decade old machine to run Windows 10 (is that right TM?).
    Everything I've got is old, just like me! rofl

    Yes, I know I've said it before, but let me say it again, "Windows 10 seems to have GREAT backward compatibility, with older hardware".... "it comes with a really Great driver package".

    It even picked up some add on cards that I have in my PC, like a USB 3.0 PCIe card and it installed my Epson XP-410 printer, without me having to load the drivers. I just think that's 'SO NEAT!'.

    If I install XP on this PC, I have to dig out a whole stack of driver disks. That sucks!

    I've installed Windows 10 on five different PC's, so far, and they all are over 6 years old, with standard BIOS. No Problem!

    I've said this before too: "If MS doesn't screw it up, Windows 10 should breath new life into older PC's, for people who can't afford a new one."

    Cheers Mates!
    TechnoMage
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    25 Mar 2015 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    Everything I've got is old, just like me! rofl

    Yes, I know I've said it before, but let me say it again, "Windows 10 seems to have GREAT backward compatibility, with older hardware".... "it comes with a really Great driver package".

    It even picked up some add on cards that I have in my PC, like a USB 3.0 PCIe card and it installed my Epson XP-410 printer, without me having to load the drivers. I just think that's 'SO NEAT!'.

    If I install XP on this PC, I have to dig out a whole stack of driver disks. That sucks!

    I've installed Windows 10 on five different PC's, so far, and they all are over 6 years old, with standard BIOS. No Problem!

    I've said this before too: "If MS doesn't screw it up, Windows 10 should breath new life into older PC's, for people who can't afford a new one."

    Cheers Mates!
    TechnoMage
    I think you should post your speccy as a proof for everyone to see . lol...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Turning off secure boot/fast boot required?
As I get ready to do a clean install of 10074 I am curious about the need to disable secure boot and fast boot options. If I do disable secure boot do I need to enable legacy boot? I have had limited success with previous installs to a 2nd hard...
Installation and Upgrade
Dual boot 10 & 7 BIOS/UEFI possible issues
I dual boot to 2 different windows 7 installs. I have my primary for day to day stuff and the second install is for my DAW. I don't want to update the DAW to 10 because of the issues it may cause. I do want to update my primary install to 10. Can...
Installation and Upgrade
Gigabyte UEFI bios -windows 8 or other OS?
Just curious .. Not sure if it makes much difference , but should I pick Win 8 or other OS in my bios?
General Support
One for Kari - Secure boot with HYPER-V question
Hi there I see that although VMware and VBOX can't do it (they can use UEFI) it seems HYPER-V CAN create a level 2 (type 2) VM which can enable secure boot. I want to have a go with this on a W2012 Server HOST. Anything special needed for...
Virtualization
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums