Windows 10: Start screen issues
Ok, an in-place upgrade repair install is one of the good features of Win 10.
We can hope it fixes this, but there are some settings it won't change ('cos it keeps your personal settings).
An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.
For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
- all/most associations will be unchanged
- all your programs will be left installed
- you will lose any custom fonts
- you will lose any customised system icons
- you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
- you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
- Windows.old will be created
- system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
- you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
- inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
- if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.
Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.
Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
- preserve your system (and your sanity)
- back up your data
- restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time
Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.
It is ok now. Problem solved. It had to do with the group policy. Found a software that reset all policies...and it worked.
Thank you all.
Apologies for delaying in replying.
Glad you solved it. Can you advise the program you used? Thanks!
This thread is meant to showcase the new Windows 10 Start menu with tiles or the more familiar Windows 8 Start Screen.
You can use either the Start Menu or Start Screen by following Brink's Tutorial
I was wondering how to add the applications appearing on Windows 10 Start Menu to Windows Start Screen, that too in a specific location on the start screen, with a specific tile size and under a specific application group? Do you...
Start Menu or Start Screen won’t close after clicking a tile of Windows 7 Games. I installed the Windows 7 Games on a Windows 10 machine. It works on the main (admin) account. It, however, has this glitch on a non-admin account, when opening one of...
I had a few serious issues when I went to 10041 (search did not work being the worst), and so I downloaded 10049. I can use search now, but I still have two problems: all website links that are on my taskbar do not work. I click on...