Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

  1. Joined : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,534
    OS X, Win 10
       31 Mar 2015 #61

    Mystere said: View Post
    You know, everyone was screaming and hollering for a new build... just give it to us, we don't care if it's buggy or has problems...

    So, Microsoft did...

    And now everyone's like "Microsoft killed my puppy", "This new build of windows has destroyed my will to live", "OH MY GOD WHO MOVED MY CHEEZE? I'M GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK".

    You really should be careful what you ask for....
    . . .So true. . .and now the Linux gang is back to push their silly stuff. . .Oh well just more folks to poke fun of. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 480
    Windows 10
       31 Mar 2015 #62

    If anyone should be complaining about W10 it should be me, it bricked one of my SSDs, yet I'm back in for more. Did a clean install with 10041 and it was a good experience, now I've just updated to 10049 and so far so good. Yeah the earlier builds were a bit of a shambles but it looks like theyre back on track.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,346
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       31 Mar 2015 #63

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    @LittleJay
    MATE has similar operating principles to earlier versions of Windows (W7 and earlier).

    Cinnamon seems similar to MATE, but apparently it uses hidden hotspots (corners?).

    XFCE is also supposed to be very similar to earlier versions of Windows (but requires less resources than other desktop environments).
    I haven't played around with it (although I pinched an XFCE theme to use in MATE).

    KDE is also supposed to be very similar to earlier versions of Windows (but requires more resources than other desktop environments).
    I played around with it for a couple of hours, but I didn't like it.
    The latest version (Plasma) looks nice (I haven't tried it).
    Thanks for the info. It's been a while since I last used Linux Mint and I don't recall there being as many choices at that time. I started out with Ubuntu 8.04, which I rather liked. It was only about a 600 Mb download and easily fit on a CD. But just like Windows the download size just kept getting larger and larger and since I have a metered internet connection, I just don't have the data available to download Distros to try out like I used to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,394
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       31 Mar 2015 #64

    LittleJay said: View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's been a while since I last used Linux Mint and I don't recall there being as many choices at that time. I started out with Ubuntu 8.04, which I rather liked. It was only about a 600 Mb download and easily fit on a CD. But just like Windows the download size just kept getting larger and larger and since I have a metered internet connection, I just don't have the data available to download Distros to try out like I used to.
    It looks like you can directly download LM17.1 ISO versions using:
    • MATE
    • Cinnamon
    • KDE
    • XFCE

    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

    Small download quotas suck.

    We have a 200GB/month download quota, but our speed is limited to 6Mb/s (750 KB/s) on a good day.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,346
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       01 Apr 2015 #65

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    It looks like you can directly download LM17.1 ISO versions using:
    • MATE
    • Cinnamon
    • KDE
    • XFCE

    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

    Small download quotas suck.

    We have a 200GB/month download quota, but our speed is limited to 6Mb/s (750 KB/s) on a good day.
    I was at the Mint website the other to check out the available downloads, but didn't download anything when I saw Mint MATE 64bit was almost 2 Gbs in size. That is almost 1/2 of my monthly data allowance, which is 5 Gbs. One of the drawbacks of living out in the country is that wireless internet and satellite are the only available options and both cost an arm and a leg for very little value.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,394
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       01 Apr 2015 #66

    LittleJay said: View Post
    I was at the Mint website the other to check out the available downloads, but didn't download anything when I saw Mint MATE 64bit was almost 2 Gbs in size.
    Interesting.
    The version I have, LM17.1 MATE (64 Bit) is ~1.52GB according to Windows Explorer (Windows 10TP is twice that size).

    Although that doesn't really help you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,346
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       01 Apr 2015 #67

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    Interesting.
    The version I have, LM17.1 MATE (64 Bit) is ~1.52GB according to Windows Explorer (Windows 10TP is twice that size).

    Although that doesn't really help you.
    Maybe you are right about the size of the download. I thought I saw it was 1.8 Gbs, but my memory isn't what it used to be, so I'm not going to swear to it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7
       01 Apr 2015 #68

    LJ, that is too bad. If you send me an empty SD card, I load anything you want on it and I send it back. Send me a PM if that sounds like something you might want to do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    Wolves, England
    Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       01 Apr 2015 #69

    I gave up on Mint a couple of weeks ago as I just can't get a 1920x1080 resolution in a VM no matter what I try. Shame, it looks decent.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,346
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       01 Apr 2015 #70

    whs said: View Post
    LJ, that is too bad. If you send me an empty SD card, I load anything you want on it and I send it back. Send me a PM if that sounds like something you might want to do.
    Thanks a lot for the offer whs, I really appreciate it! BunnyJ has already kindly offered to burn DVD's for me, so I will have what I need at the present.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM
Hi there Having got a VM working just the way I want it I wanted to install this on a laptop as a PHYSICAL machine. (VMWARE Easy way : 1) From WITHIN the VM -- uninstall VMWARE tools or VBOX additions etc. 2) Run acronis or other imaging...
Virtualization
Solved Easy Recovery Essentials Pro Windows 10 - Free Offer
Hey everyone, I posted this on SevenForums already, wanted to share here as well since it is more appropriate. The pro version for Windows 10 looks to be a free offer at the moment. Easy Recovery Essentials | Windows Recovery and Repair CD...
Software and Apps
Windows 10 getting super easy uninstall option
Read more: Windows 10 looks like it's getting a super easy uninstall option | Windows Central See tutorial: Previous Version of Windows - Go Back in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
Windows 10 News
Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10
Read more here: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Windows 10? | CITEworld
Windows 10 News
Easy way to update to W10 using existing W8.1 system
Hi there If you want to test W10 builds using all your existing programs then this IMO is the esiest way to do it. This way preserves your REAL W8 / W8.1 / W7 machine. 1) Install VMware player (FREE) 2) install VMWARE stand alone converter...
Virtualization
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:34.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums