Windows 10: Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    20 Apr 2016 #1

    Randomly freezing, unresponsive. explorer.exe app hang?


    Some backround:

    ASUS Q552, Windows 10 Home, 12GB RAM, Samsung Evo 1TB SSD (clean install of Windows on hard drive), touchscreen laptop,

    My laptop will randomly freeze and become unresponsive. When I use my touchscreen and swipe in from the left side, the screen and task bar will flash and it will begin working again. 30 seconds to a few minutes later, this will repeat. This has slowly been getting worse over the past couple weeks.
    I looked in the "Event Viewer" and every time this freezing occurs, there is an entry that reads:

    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Hang
    Date: 4/20/2016 10:03:48 AM
    Event ID: 1002
    Task Category: (101)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP-5M83579
    Description:
    The program explorer.exe version 10.0.10586.104 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 1280
    Start Time: 01d19b0cbe45a850
    Termination Time: 0
    Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Report Id: b145a127-0700-11e6-9860-305a3a8a1136
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:


    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-04-20T14:03:48.303529600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12502</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-5M83579</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.10586.104</Data>
    <Data>1280</Data>
    <Data>01d19b0cbe45a850</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>b145a127-0700-11e6-9860-305a3a8a1136</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

    I have tried:

    sfc/ scannow
    increasing and decreasing virtual memory
    Using Samsung Magician to optimize performance/reliability
    updating Nvidia and Intel drivers
    disabling Nvidia and Intel drivers (one at a time)

    ..and a few other things I can't remember at this moment.
    Does anyone have a solution to this? I've read of similar issues but not exactly this one. But this is my work computer (self-employed), so time is if the essence. Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       20 Apr 2016 #2

    Have you tried an in-place Upgrade
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    Or have you made sure your BIOS is to date
    I see you have already tried the SFC /Scannow
    Also I see you are on update 104
    There is now later ones which cold cure the problem you are having
    The latest being 218
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 Apr 2016 #3

    No I haven't! I'll try that now
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    20 Apr 2016 #4

    It's been stuck on "Checking PC" for over an hour. Is this right?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       20 Apr 2016 #5

    ogrady859 said: View Post
    It's been stuck on "Checking PC" for over an hour. Is this right?
    What are you checking on your PC the BIOS or in-place upgrade
    If In-place Upgrade I have up to now had no cause to use it
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Apr 2016 #6

    Started the In place upgrade via USB Installation Media. Ran Setup, clicked "upgrade this PC now", it Prepared, then I selected "Download and Install updates",it said "getting updates", the "checking PC" and has been on that for over an hour
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       20 Apr 2016 #7

    ogrady859 said: View Post
    Some backround:

    ASUS Q552, Windows 10 Home, 12GB RAM, Samsung Evo 1TB SSD (clean install of Windows on hard drive), touchscreen laptop,

    My laptop will randomly freeze and become unresponsive. When I use my touchscreen and swipe in from the left side, the screen and task bar will flash and it will begin working again. 30 seconds to a few minutes later, this will repeat. This has slowly been getting worse over the past couple weeks.
    I looked in the "Event Viewer" and every time this freezing occurs, there is an entry that reads:

    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Hang
    Date: 4/20/2016 10:03:48 AM
    Event ID: 1002
    Task Category: (101)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP-5M83579
    Description:
    The program explorer.exe version 10.0.10586.104 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 1280
    Start Time: 01d19b0cbe45a850
    Termination Time: 0
    Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Report Id: b145a127-0700-11e6-9860-305a3a8a1136
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:


    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-04-20T14:03:48.303529600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12502</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-5M83579</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.10586.104</Data>
    <Data>1280</Data>
    <Data>01d19b0cbe45a850</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>b145a127-0700-11e6-9860-305a3a8a1136</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

    I have tried:

    sfc/ scannow
    increasing and decreasing virtual memory
    Using Samsung Magician to optimize performance/reliability
    updating Nvidia and Intel drivers
    disabling Nvidia and Intel drivers (one at a time)

    ..and a few other things I can't remember at this moment.
    Does anyone have a solution to this? I've read of similar issues but not exactly this one. But this is my work computer (self-employed), so time is if the essence. Thanks!
    Create another user account with exactly the same privileges as this one.
    Logon to it and see if you encounter the same issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       20 Apr 2016 #8

    ...............The program explorer.exe version 10.0.10586.104 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed....................

    Have a look at this tutorial
    How to Restart explorer.exe Process in Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    20 Apr 2016 #9

    Thanks for the suggestion. I just realized that on a separate profile on this laptop, I don't have this problem. How does this change things?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       20 Apr 2016 #10

    ogrady859 said: View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just realized that on a separate profile on this laptop, I don't have this problem. How does this change things?
    That indicates the original user account ( profile as you prefer to call it ) is corrupted.
    Use the new account for a while. If no issues at all, then come back to the corrupted account > backup files you want to keep > then delete the account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Windows 10 Freezing randomly in Performance & Maintenance
Hi! I have a problem with Windows 10. My computer freezes randomly, sometimes when I'm playing games, sometimes when surfing, ect. I do not get a BSOD, everything just freezes, just like this. I have tried updating my graphic drivers, as...
Windows 10 Freezing Randomly in General Support
So I recently upgraded to Win 10 from 7. After the upgrade I am experiencing random freezes that require me to do a hard shutdown to get going again. The freezes seem to only happen when gaming or watching videos. All of my drivers are up to date...
Random hang/lock/freezing (sort of) in Performance & Maintenance
I have read a thread or five via a Google search about random freezing with Windows 10, but none of their symptoms match mine, so I thought I'd post a new thread. I'm getting random system freezes or hangs which prevent me from opening apps or...
explorer.exe occasional hang in General Support
so...since I got my new tower on the 16th, during the few times I've had it actually online and running, every so often, at least once a session, explorer.exe will become unresponsive and then hang, followed by automatically restarting itself. ...
Windows 10 Freezing randomly in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi! I have a problem with Windows 10. My computer freezes randomly, sometimes when I'm playing games, sometimes when surfing, ect. I do not get a BSOD, everything just freezes, just like this. I have tried updating my graphic drivers, as well...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02.
Find Us