Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    12 Apr 2016 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 7
    Win 10

    Lost access to programs thru icons


    Somehow Win 10 has started to refused to allow me to launch some programs from the desktop icons. The error message says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file." I get the same error message if I navigate to the program file and click directly on the executable for the program. I am logged in as Administrator.

    In addition to solving this particular access problem, how can I totally delete or disable all of Windows 10's "security" functions like this? ie remove all requirement for passwords on log-in? This is a private computer located within my locked home---lots of other stuff more valuable than a few program files on this C!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    12 Apr 2016 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 167
    Windows 10 Ent, Pro & Home

    You need to go into properties for the icons and check the path. See if the icon is pointed to the correct location.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    12 Apr 2016 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 7
    Win 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman68 View Post
    You need to go into properties for the icons and check the path. See if the icon is pointed to the correct location.
    Yes. Icon is correct; that's how I knew where to look for the executable. Nothing that I know of has changed on my system since the icon functioned correctly. The only change has been in Win 10, which seems to alter its behaviour daily; this is the most troubling so far.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    12 Apr 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,105
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Hi, given that you get the message trying to launch the exe directly, inspecting the shortcut is an irrelevancy.
    See:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2669244

    If you use a live id to log in, you must use a password.
    Only if you use a local account can you avoid this.

    I've only seen one quirk in Win 10 in several months in terms of unexpected change of behaviour.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    12 Apr 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    PA, USA
    Posts : 476
    Windows 10 Pro (Mix of Builds) / Linux Mint

    Just offhand, can you download and intall / run malwarebytes?

    Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

    Get free version, if the exe won't run per your issue, try in safe mode.

    Not saying its a solution, but malware might also be a culprit ... even if not you will have installed a terrific anti-malware program and verified your system is 99% clean ...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    12 Apr 2016 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 7
    Win 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Hi, given that you get the message trying to launch the exe directly, inspecting the shortcut is an irrelevancy.
    See:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2669244

    If you use a live id to log in, you must use a password.
    Only if you use a local account can you avoid this.

    I've only seen one quirk in Win 10 in several months in terms of unexpected change of behaviour.
    What is "live id?" What is "local account"? this last sounds like what I want to bypass all these foolish unnecessary Win10 password issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Apr 2016 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 7
    Win 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by RWOne View Post
    Just offhand, can you download and intall / run malwarebytes?

    Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

    Get free version, if the exe won't run per your issue, try in safe mode.

    Not saying its a solution, but malware might also be a culprit ... even if not you will have installed a terrific anti-malware program and verified your system is 99% clean ...
    I have Malwarebytes, premium edition and it runs frequently. Never finds a serious problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    12 Apr 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,105
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Quote Originally Posted by NEcompute View Post
    What is "live id?" What is "local account"? this last sounds like what I want to bypass all these foolish unnecessary Win10 password issues.
    You can research this yourself. Google is your friend. These are very well known things. 'live id' = email account + password used to log in to MS services. This allows the integration of MS services with your PC. A local account has nothing to do with MS and is just your login.

    Oh, and by the way, you made the choice of which of these to use when you installed Windows. If you noticed it... it's arranged so you choose the MS live id without thinking about it.

    ==============
    You might like to take a look at Tweaking.com's repair tool. It offers various permissions repairs. Use cautiously.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    12 Apr 2016 #9
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,876
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by NEcompute View Post
    Somehow Win 10 has started to refused to allow me to launch some programs from the desktop icons. The error message says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file." I get the same error message if I navigate to the program file and click directly on the executable for the program. I am logged in as Administrator.

    In addition to solving this particular access problem, how can I totally delete or disable all of Windows 10's "security" functions like this? ie remove all requirement for passwords on log-in? This is a private computer located within my locked home---lots of other stuff more valuable than a few program files on this C!!
    RE : desktop icons
    Suggestions :
    1. Do a Rebuild of icon cache
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

    2. Do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point
    System Restore Windows 10

    RE : remove all requirement for passwords on log-in
    Use this tutorial : How to Automatically Sign in to User Account at Startup in Windows 10
    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    13 Apr 2016 #10
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 7
    Win 10
    Thread Starter

    Guys--thanks for all your suggestions and help. On the problem of passwords, permissions and so forth Dalchina (I think it was he (or she) ) was correct in suggesting that during the installation of Win 10--which in my case was that forced conversion of Win 7 into Win 10--I somehow made a wrong choice ref. Outlook and passwords which is where the issues with passwords and access arises. Best fix for this probably to start over again with a fresh install.

    But the problem of "access" in the case of the failed desktop icon is something different and was solved by AVG 1-Click Maintenance. This issue had nothing to do with passwords, "Administrators" or any of Windows' attempts at system security. This is another case of making a simple problem much worse by posting an inaccurate error message!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Lost Programs
I am new to this forum and not particularly computer literate. I recently purchased an ASUS computer with Windows 10 installed. The old computer had Windows 7 on it. Because of all the noise about Windows 10, I opted for 10 rather than 7. So, I...
Software and Apps
Solved Lost access, very strange problems ?
Lost access, very strange problems ? Earlier today I connected up a storage drive to my PC to do some house keeping and clear out loads of unwanted and duplicated stuff. It's a mechanical drive and not a SSD. But ! Somewhere along the line I...
General Support
Lost access to parts of account
Hello all. I was trying to upgrade my laptop's SSD. Put the new drive in an enclosure, and the laptop would not recognize the new drive. Neither would my desktop. In an effort to troubleshoot if it was the drive, or the enclosure, I put my laptop...
General Support
Lost Apps and factory installed programs after win 10 reset
My HP Desktop computer came with windows 8.1 and several additional programs. I have installed windows 10 and the programs and apps were still there. Since I have done a refresh I have lost the HP installed programs and the apps. On the desk top...
General Support
Lost Access to Settings
Used free upgrade to install Win 10 Pro 64bit to desktop computer. After successful installation, used Start button then Settings, to select Tablet Mode. After restart cannot access Settings from Start button or Action Center. How can I turn off ...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums