Windows 10: Please Ms don't have RENAME and DELETE together in Explorer updates

  1.    08 Apr 2016 #1

    Please Ms don't have RENAME and DELETE together in Explorer updates


    Hi there

    Can Ms when revamping File explorer PLEASE ensure that the context menu (right mouse click) doesn't have DELETE and RENAME right next to each other.

    I've nearly lost a few files - especially when using a touch pad on a small laptop in Explorer when renaming some files.

    I don't know who designs these menu layouts but that seems a BAD one !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    08 Apr 2016 #2

    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove...-items-editors

    Do any of these let you change the order?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Apr 2016 #3

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Can Ms when revamping File explorer PLEASE ensure that the context menu (right mouse click) doesn't have DELETE and RENAME right next to each other.

    I've nearly lost a few files - especially when using a touch pad on a small laptop in Explorer when renaming some files.

    I don't know who designs these menu layouts but that seems a BAD one !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Well thats why they have the recycle bin and don't send files directly to trash when deleted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 7,527
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       08 Apr 2016 #4

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Can Ms when revamping File explorer PLEASE ensure that the context menu (right mouse click) doesn't have DELETE and RENAME right next to each other.

    I've nearly lost a few files - especially when using a touch pad on a small laptop in Explorer when renaming some files.

    I don't know who designs these menu layouts but that seems a BAD one !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Now that you point it out, I've noticed it for the 1st time. But, are you really renaming with right click and all that?

    I am renaming files by:
    -two slow clicks on the name or
    -with keyboard (rght clk - next to right wins key) and m (but laptops don't have this)
    ...

    At my age I realize, that I have never renamed file with right mouse click, selecting "rename". Perhaps that's the reason nobody noticed it at MS?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Apr 2016 #5

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Can Ms when revamping File explorer PLEASE ensure that the context menu (right mouse click) doesn't have DELETE and RENAME right next to each other.

    I've nearly lost a few files - especially when using a touch pad on a small laptop in Explorer when renaming some files.

    I don't know who designs these menu layouts but that seems a BAD one !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Have you put in any feedback about this yet?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    08 Apr 2016 #6

    At my age I realize, that I have never renamed file with right mouse click, selecting "rename". Perhaps that's the reason nobody noticed it at MS?
    I routinely rename from the context menu and I am sure many of Microsoft's testers do as well. In my case it is force of habit from a time before in place rename was available. I don't know why Rename and Delete are next to each other but it has been that way for a long time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    08 Apr 2016 #7

    I use F2 to rename.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    08 Apr 2016 #8

    I remember when you used to have to use command line to rename files. Yes, I am that old. TRS-80 Model I extended basic old (with a whopping 16K RAM - upgraded from 4K). Followed by TRSDOS and Apple DOS (at school where we had the Apple IIe). I think those might have been 128K RAM and that was OMG? what am I doing to do with all that memory! Heck, 360K floppy disks were standard, 720K disks were double density, and 1.44 MB were High Density!

    And don't even get me started on dial up modem speeds and local BBS systems :-O
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Apr 2016 #9

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    I remember when you used to have to use command line to rename files. Yes, I am that old. TRS-80 Model I extended basic old (with a whopping 16K RAM - upgraded from 4K). Followed by TRSDOS and Apple DOS (at school where we had the Apple IIe). I think those might have been 128K RAM and that was OMG? what am I doing to do with all that memory! Heck, 360K floppy disks were standard, 720K disks were double density, and 1.44 MB were High Density!

    And don't even get me started on dial up modem speeds and local BBS systems :-O
    I still use the command line to delete large numbers of files that I don't want to go to the trash can. It's so much easier,, IMO
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum :o So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the...
I have Windows 10 installed on 2 of my 3 computers. A 2 screen video editing machine that I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 works perfectly - I open Windows Explorer, I either hold the mouse over the left part of a file name, or right click...
Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the...
When I try to rename or delete a file Windows Explorer freezes for an average of 20 seconds. I opened my running processes to see what I could find, and during this 20 second period it reads "Not Responding" next to Windows explorer (as seen in...
Hi, When renaming a file in File Explorer I am frequently, but not always, stymied by the system re-selecting the entire filename whilst I am in the midst of editing it. It occurs anytime from 1-2s after I start editing up to 10s or more. I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56.
Find Us