10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 5
    10 TP
       #1

    10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?


    I've had to fix the mother in laws windows 7 laptop which was in a right state. I've installed the 10 technical preview and it runs sweet, found all drivers, easy peasy. No waiting forever to download updates.......boots faster etc.


    When it comes to windows 10 RTM/release for free upgraders does anyone know if the official new version will allow an over install onto the existing Technical Preview setup, keeping existing installed programs and settings?


    Its set to the slow ring for updated builds - I presume when the updated builds come out they are optional? Wouldn't be good if they auto install as she wont know whats happening. I'm assuming what is essentially a test OS is still a viable replacement OS even though is not obviously designed for 65 year computerphobes like her. Any comments appreciated.
      My Computer

  2. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,672
    Windows 10 Pro X64 2004 19041.331
       #2

    W10 TP is a beta/test OS. It is not meant to be a production system for normal use. Many people use it this way and mostly have been 0kay but the next build release could break something significant, you never know.

    I do remember reading somewhere that RTM will install over TP but I'm not sure of that.

    I think you would have been better to do a recovery to factory state of Win 7 on that laptop and wait for the free RTM upgrade when it's available.

    Just my $.02 worth :)
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 5
    10 TP
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Ztruker said:
    I do remember reading somewhere that RTM will install over TP but I'm not sure of that.
    I think you would have been better to do a recovery to factory state of Win 7 on that laptop and wait for the free RTM upgrade when it's available.
    Thanks.
    Does anyone know for sure that RTM will install over TP?
    I was planning on sorting out the RTM, even if it means a format & fresh install.
    I guess the main thing was I wondered if there were any clear drawbacks for a novice generally running this OS as she only uses it for web browsing.
      My Computer

  4. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,694
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #4

    beastman said:
    Thanks.
    Does anyone know for sure that RTM will install over TP?
    I was planning on sorting out the RTM, even if it means a format & fresh install.
    I guess the main thing was I wondered if there were any clear drawbacks for a novice generally running this OS as she only uses it for web browsing.
    I don't see any advantages of having her run Win10 right now. If it were me I would put Win7 back on and wait for the RTM upgrade to come out. It's good to know that her PC will work with Win10 at least.. so the test was successful. :)
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,121
    Windows 7
       #5

    Microsoft has emphasized that the Windows 10 Technical Preview is for advanced users only, not for novices. Unfortunately the message doesn't always get through. It is intended for testing purposes and to provide feedback to Microsoft. A new update may seriously break functionality at any time. Many people are using it as their primary OS and this is fine, provided they are aware of and prepared to deal with the implications.

    Microsoft has always recommended against an RTM upgrade over a pre release version. This may or may not be supported. I don't think anybody can be certain until Microsoft makes an official announcement when the RTM version is released.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5
    10 TP
    Thread Starter
       #6

    LMiller7 said:
    Microsoft has emphasized that the Windows 10 Technical Preview is for advanced users only, not for novices. Unfortunately the message doesn't always get through. It is intended for testing purposes and to provide feedback to Microsoft. A new update may seriously break functionality at any time. Many people are using it as their primary OS and this is fine, provided they are aware of and prepared to deal with the implications.

    Microsoft has always recommended against an RTM upgrade over a pre release version. This may or may not be supported. I don't think anybody can be certain until Microsoft makes an official announcement when the RTM version is released.
    Thanks. Do we know if updates (full OS upgrades, not windows updates) are auto installed?
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 230
    10
       #7

    Again, this is part of the problem with using Win10 TP - The system defaults to certain update behaviors, but you can change them in the UI to suit your needs. If you're not into the beta testing and just want it to work, use the standard settings (default is the Slow Track - which is best for stability).

    You can verify that updates are set to install automatically by going to:
    PC Settings...Update & Recovery...Advanced options
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,119
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro
       #8

    I guess the main thing was I wondered if there were any clear drawbacks for a novice generally running this OS as she only uses it for web browsing.
    The one clear drawback is that, since this is a "test" version, anything can change from one build to the next. The apps, the UIs, even functionality, can come and go as MS sees fit. Functions can be added in one build and removed in the next.

    Personally, I would recommend against any novice using Win10TP at this time for their daily use.
      My Computer

  9. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 8,267
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint, Win7 Pro
       #9

    10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?
    I have it on a Dell Inspiron 530S Desktop that came with Vista and a 4+ year old Toshiba Notebook, works good. Only real thing to look for is if drivers are supported as there may not be any yet from the manufacturer. Only thing on my Notebook that gets picked up but not installed is a PCI Simple Communication device which on Desktops is usually a Dial-up Modem. The Notebook has a cut-out that is marked for a phone line but Modem doesn't show in the BIOS, don't know if it actually exists.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5
    10 TP
    Thread Starter
       #10

    usasma said:
    Again, this is part of the problem with using Win10 TP - The system defaults to certain update behaviors, but you can change them in the UI to suit your needs. If you're not into the beta testing and just want it to work, use the standard settings (default is the Slow Track - which is best for stability).

    You can verify that updates are set to install automatically by going to:
    PC Settings...Update & Recovery...Advanced options
    Thanks. As mentioned I have it set to slow - does anyone know that nothing major in terms of auto updates will occur that might freak out the old lady?
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums