Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1.    06 Apr 2016 #31
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Well, I plugged my USB stick into another computer that uses Ubantu. I booted it up and got the same message as the other computer with the black screen of death which is: "Missing operating system".

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    That looks good, but its not secure boot. So unless its under another setting, then I have no idea why your USB Stick refuses to boot.

    Guess you could try that usb stick on another computer just to make sure it actually works. But you just might have to wait for another member who has more idea's that can help you jlv
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Apr 2016 #32
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,999
    W10Prox64

    Hi guys.
    Did this system come with Windows 10 installed by Dell, or was it upgraded?
    Can you access the Dell recovery partition and just put it back to factory condition?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    06 Apr 2016 #33
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 40,237
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Hi simrick glad you popped in !! looks like his Windows usb stick is bad, because it does not boot on another computer either.
    So maybe his usb stick is bad, or messed up some how. I was going to ask him to reformat that usb stick and then try putting his Windows 10 back on their again.....but right now I am running out of idea's why it refuses to boot up for him.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    06 Apr 2016 #34
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 40,237
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    jlv you can try to reformat that usb stick. Right click on that stick, and then choose quick format ....and try copying your windows ISO files back on to your usb drive.....unless someone else has a better idea. ??
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    06 Apr 2016 #35
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    This system came originally with Windows 7 that I upgraded around Dec of 2015. I don't think I can access of recovery partition. Not 100% sure what that is. Well, I know what the recovery does. Just not sure how to find it for sure. I don't know much about computers at all. I did find a Diagnostic program when I press F12 on boot up. I've ran this test several times and it never finds anything. That is the only thing I have been able to do since I've gotten the black screen of death with cursor.


    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Hi guys.
    Did this system come with Windows 10 installed by Dell, or was it upgraded?
    Can you access the Dell recovery partition and just put it back to factory condition?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    06 Apr 2016 #36
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,999
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Hi simrick glad you popped in !! looks like his Windows usb stick is bad, because it does not boot on another computer either.
    So maybe his usb stick is bad, or messed up some how. I was going to ask him to reformat that usb stick and then try putting his Windows 10 back on their again.....but right now I am running out of idea's why it refuses to boot up for him.
    Oh yes, I see that.
    So, format the USB stick again (FAT32)
    Select the W10 ISO file on the Acer, right-click and select MOUNT
    Copy all files and folders back over to the USB again
    Make sure the boot order in the 1545 is set to USB first in the BIOS

    Dell also have an option to download the recovery image of a particular system:
    Recovery Image of Microsoft Windows

    Not sure if that will help.

    Really, if this machine was indeed infected, (and we don't know what it was infected with), probably the best thing is to restore to factory condition, using the hidden recovery partition...unless, of course, it had an infection that wiped the hidden partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    06 Apr 2016 #37
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Okay. I just deleted all the files on my USB stick and an reformatted it. It is in the process of reloading the last big file on it. I will then retest it in the computer once it if finished loading. Its about 60% complete.



    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    jlv you can try to reformat that usb stick. Right click on that stick, and then choose quick format ....and try copying your windows ISO files back on to your usb drive.....unless someone else has a better idea. ??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Apr 2016 #38
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,999
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by jlv View Post
    This system came originally with Windows 7 that I upgraded around Dec of 2015. I don't think I can access of recovery partition. Not 100% sure what that is. Well, I know what the recovery does. Just not sure how to find it for sure. I don't know much about computers at all. I did find a Diagnostic program when I press F12 on boot up. I've ran this test several times and it never finds anything. That is the only thing I have been able to do since I've gotten the black screen of death with cursor.
    Okay. If it originally came with W7, the OE recovery partition is probably gone now.
    I would try re-creating the flash drive with the W10 ISO, as Mike suggested.
    If/when you can get it to boot, make sure you choose the option to completely wipe the hard drive before installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    06 Apr 2016 #39
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 40,237
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    If your testing the usb stick on your good computer, if it boots , click on the X in the upper right hand Connor to exit. Then put it in your messed up computer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    06 Apr 2016 #40
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Nothing ever seems to go right. lol

    Well, I deleted everything on the USB. Reformated it and verified that it is FAT32. Plugged it back into the dead computer and got the same thing all over again. Missing operating system. I haven't tried it in my good computer again, but I just have a feeling that its not going to work. This USB stick is brand new. I just bought it last month and put a few documents on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Black screen with cursor
Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month. After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3 shutdowns before full start) and restart fixed. Updated video and other drivers. Another update event,...
Windows Updates and Activation
Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank)
Hey everyone. I did a bit of research and this seems to have been an issue for a while, or has been in the past. Was upgrading to windows 10, I first had to restart my pc cause it was initially stuck on that preparing to install problem with the...
Installation and Upgrade
Computer boots to Black Screen with Cursor Before Lock Screen
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from the taskbar on my desktop. The upgrade was successful and I was able to use my computer normally. Today, when I started my computer, a disk check was started. After a long time of being stuck at 10%, I force...
General Support
Black screen with cursor
My Windows 10 was running perfectly well for one full week. Then this morning I noticed it installed some update and after reboot the screen went black and the cursor appeared. I tried every thing but nothing helped. I cannot even access the...
General Support
Black Screen With Cursor PLEASE HELP
Okay so I'm panicking a bit here. Installed the 'Windows 10 Login Screen Changer' that I found on this forum, clicked 'change background' and bam...black screen. I turned the computer off and on again and still black screen with a Cursor. Ctrl...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:29.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums