Windows 10: I need to enable VIRTUALIZATION setting in my bios please

  1.    31 Mar 2016 #1

    I need to enable VIRTUALIZATION setting in my bios please


    Please, could someone help me, as Kaspersky alerts me to a warning that I need to
    enable virtualization. They say:- Protection against screenshots is disabled.

    I am not great on the technical front, and I am told I need to get into my bios to
    enable this setting so that I get full protection from Kaspersky.

    I am grateful for any help you could offer me. I have a 64 bit laptop in Win 10.

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    31 Mar 2016 #2

    First thing I would do is uninstall Kaspersky. But...if you really want to keep it, there are a few ways to get into your bios.

    Try this first, easiest way:
    UEFI Firmware Settings - Boot to from inside Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    If that doesn't work, then shutdown your computer by going to the power icon, and hold down shift key when you click shutdown. That will override Windows 10 Fast Startup. Once the computer shuts down all way, press the power key to turn it back on. Immediately start tapping the key to enter bios setup - which is probably F2 for your Acer 7741. It might also be ESC, DEL, or another F-Key, but a quick Google search said F2 was it.

    Or you can click on Restart from the power icon without holding down the shift key. When the computer goes blank, like it is ready to power off and just starts to reboot, start pressing the key to enter bios setup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 Mar 2016 #3

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    First thing I would do is uninstall Kaspersky. But...if you really want to keep it, there are a few ways to get into your bios.

    Try this first, easiest way:
    UEFI Firmware Settings - Boot to from inside Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    If that doesn't work, then shutdown your computer by going to the power icon, and hold down shift key when you click shutdown. That will override Windows 10 Fast Startup. Once the computer shuts down all way, press the power key to turn it back on. Immediately start tapping the key to enter bios setup - which is probably F2 for your Acer 7741. It might also be ESC, DEL, or another F-Key, but a quick Google search said F2 was it.

    Or you can click on Restart from the power icon without holding down the shift key. When the computer goes blank, like it is ready to power off and just starts to reboot, start pressing the key to enter bios setup.

    Thank you, I will have a crack at this later. Incidentally, I presume you don't like Kaspersky....can you recommend an alternative?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 Mar 2016 #4

    All "anti-virus suites" are trash in my experience. It's a dying industry that is resorting to shady tactics to maintain revenue.


    Windows 10 has enough protection in place, so long as the user does not ignore the UAC and SmartScreen notifications. If you must though, combine ADWCleaner and a portable anti virus on-demand-scanner with Windows Defender.

    My opinion.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    31 Mar 2016 #5

    papeter said: View Post
    Thank you, I will have a crack at this later. Incidentally, I presume you don't like Kaspersky....can you recommend an alternative?
    Built-in Windows defender and using your head.

    1. I run Mozilla Firefox for a browser with adblock plus installed. That eliminates most of the pop-ups and ads that install malware.
    2. If you get a pop to clean your computer, make it run faster, scan it, etc. look for the little X to close the window. If it isn't apparent how to close the windows then CTRL-ALT-DEL start task manager and kill the browser process.
    3. When installing programs always make sure the EULA you are agreeing to is what you actually want to install.
    4. When installing programs always select the custom or advanced install option and make sure you are only installing what you want to install.
    5. Most malware - like those FBI ransom screens, "pay $$$ or we will lock your computer" - can be cleaned by simply running CCLeaner followed by Windows built-in disk cleanup.

    In the past decade my computer has had pop-up malware on it twice, both times just a good cleaning of the internet cache (step 5 above) removed the pop-up. I've cleaned several computers for friends that got the malware despite running everything from Norton, McAfee, and Kaspersky. Careful clicking is a much more effective defense.

    Hydranix said: View Post
    All "anti-virus suites" are trash in my experience. It's a dying industry that is resorting to shady tactics to maintain revenue.


    Windows 10 has enough protection in place, so long as the user does not ignore the UAC and SmartScreen notifications. If you must though, combine ADWCleaner and a portable anti virus on-demand-scanner with Windows Defender.

    My opinion.
    I completely agree, obviously.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    01 Apr 2016 #6

    papeter said: View Post
    Thank you, I will have a crack at this later. Incidentally, I presume you don't like Kaspersky....can you recommend an alternative?
    Great information about these AV suites. I've had them all over the last 20 years and they all suck. So if I ditch Kaspersky I don't need to mess around with the virtualization in BIOS?

    Thanks for your help, most appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Apr 2016 #7

    papeter said: View Post
    Great information about these AV suites. I've had them all over the last 20 years and they all suck. So if I ditch Kaspersky I don't need to mess around with the virtualization in BIOS?

    Thanks for your help, most appreciated.
    That would be correct. If for some reason you need to run something like MalwareBytes from a bootable disk, it does not require virtualization either.

    There is also this thread:
    Is paying for antivirus a waste of money? - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
When I try to download Android Studios this pops up:57093 So when I went to the BIOS to enable it, there was no setting there for it. I am running Windows 10 on my Acer Aspire 5755G - 6823 with an Intel i5 - 2430M @2.4GHz. I even downloaded the...
Solved Refused to Post after XMP Setting in BIOS in PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Hi, Yesterday, I installed all mobo and other drivers plus various supporting software in my new build (#2 in spec with BIOS 1801). Four in the morning, all was done and I decided to end by going into BIOS to set the memory according to its 1200...
Solved AHCI setting in BIOS in Drivers and Hardware
I have a MB that lets me change the SATA Type. The options are: Native IDE RAID AHCI It is set to Native IDE now. I don’t want to run a raid configuration. What is AHCI. What does it do? Is there an advantage in switching to AHCI? Thanks
Hey guys, So a few months ago I was trying to run an android vm using GenyMotion. The app I wanted to use, however, required it to be running with hardware assisted virtualization, which I enabled in the BIOS. I downloaded the microsoft HAV and...
Used this tool, Download Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center No go VMware said the same thing boo-hoo anyone have instruction to enable in bios ? Spec's are added, Cheers.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10.
Find Us