Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       13 Mar 2015 #31

    Excellent and thanks for posting the HFS driver workaround.

    Bootcamp 5.1 is required for Win8.1, so it is also required for Win10

    I searched a bit and found a few references to re-registering VSS and changing some registry keys.

    While they might not provide a solution, they might give a clue on where to look.

    Paragon has a driver that might work better - it's not free though.
    There is a trial that you might want to test.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html

    Bill
    .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64
       13 Mar 2015 #32

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Excellent and thanks for posting the HFS driver workaround.

    Paragon has a driver that might work better - it's not free though.
    There is a trial that you might want to test.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html

    Bill
    .
    Thanks Bill but luckily for me I've no interest in accessing HFS volumes - pretty much I only use Windows and Linux at home. I'd certainly not want to break windows again by, after identifying one definitely crappy third party driver (from Apple), installing another potentially crappy third party driver (from Paragon) especially as I don't need the functionality. I've had problems with Paragon drivers in the past (although the NTFS not HFS ones).

    It is kind of interesting that a (read only) driver can break something so apparently unrelated. It was one of the last ones I tried disabling when I was trying to find the culprit. This makes it hard for me to consider testing the Paragon one - if a driver can break something I wouldn't think of testing then I'm not going to install it unless I really have to.

    It could have been worse - for a while I thought it was the bootcamp services program which would have meant a choice between right click and scrolling working or backup working. That would have made Windows 10 pretty much unusable on a mac. As it happens all the other drivers work OK (as far as I can see so far) and for me loss of HFS access isn't an issue. Far better that than being unable to make a backup or whatever (unknown) problem Paragon might cause.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       14 Mar 2015 #33

    Ok, adamf, I misinterpreted It does mean you can't see HFS partitions which is a bit of a bugger but there we are. as seeing HFS partitions was important. I understand not wanting to replace a non-working driver with possibly another non-working driver

    When I was searching, I came across one 'post' that mentioned the HFS format (allocation unit=1024) as a possible culprit. That would be a shortcoming of VSS, IMO because NTFS supports au=1024

    adamf said: View Post
    The cause is the Apple HFS driver applehfs.sys.

    This happens with bootcamp version 3.2 (driver creation date 10/15/2010) and 5.1 (creation date 1/31/2014).

    If the driver is disabled through Autoruns for Windows then after reboot system image, recimg and restore points all work. I've tested this on 2006 core 2 duo running the old driver version and 2012 MacBook pro running the new one and in both cases disabling this driver is sufficient. Note that enabling this driver will delete all restore points you may have made.

    It does mean you can't see HFS partitions which is a bit of a bugger but there we are. Perhaps Apple will make a Windows 10 compatible driver one day.

    Thanks for the input everyone - there is no Windows error here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64
       14 Mar 2015 #34

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Ok, adamf, I misinterpreted It does mean you can't see HFS partitions which is a bit of a bugger but there we are. as seeing HFS partitions was important. I understand not wanting to replace a non-working driver with possibly another non-working driver
    It might be for someone else It is pretty much compulsory to install apples bootcamp drivers if you have a mac.

    Anyway I installed the Paragon HFS+ driver from your link (seeing as I could now make a customer refresh point) and can confirm it doesn't cause this issue.

    My issue was (and is) I don't know how to test if it breaks something else. Both Paragon and Apple HFS drivers work (let you see HFS volume) only the Apple one breaks VSS which to me seems unrelated and not something I'd have thought of testing. I'll leave the Paragon one until the 10 day trial expires and see if anything stops working for want of a better testing strategy.

    You still need to disable the applehfs.sys driver even if you install the paragon one of course.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       04 Aug 2015 #35

    Fixed for Me!


    This solved the problem for me. Running Windows 10 in Bootcamp on MacBook Air 11" mid-2013 model.
    Thanks for the info on this annoying issue!

    adamf said: View Post
    The cause is the Apple HFS driver applehfs.sys.

    This happens with bootcamp version 3.2 (driver creation date 10/15/2010) and 5.1 (creation date 1/31/2014).

    If the driver is disabled through Autoruns for Windows then after reboot system image, recimg and restore points all work. I've tested this on 2006 core 2 duo running the old driver version and 2012 MacBook pro running the new one and in both cases disabling this driver is sufficient. Note that enabling this driver will delete all restore points you may have made.

    It does mean you can't see HFS partitions which is a bit of a bugger but there we are. Perhaps Apple will make a Windows 10 compatible driver one day.

    Thanks for the input everyone - there is no Windows error here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       08 Aug 2015 #36

    Hi. Just registered to thank you for the debugging job and the workaround. I was exactly in the same situation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1
    Mac/Windows
       22 Oct 2015 #37

    I registered just to leave this message here.

    It turns out there is a way to create a system backup image AND see HFS partitions from Windows 10.

    I followed the instructions on this page and it worked perfectly for me.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/...nload.1368010/

    I edited the registry as instructed and I managed to create the image afterwards, still being able to see all files on my Mac partition.

    It seems Boot Camp 6 corrects this issue (i.e. not being able to create backup images or restore points due to applehfs.sys), but since Apple restricts which devices should or should not receive the update, I decided to edit the registry as instructed by the above link.

    I have Boot Camp 4.1 installed and the updated drivers downloaded from the above link (be sure to download those corresponding to Boot Camp 6) only corrected the applehfs.sys and applemnt.sys drivers on my registry. Now Autoruns shows the applehfs.sys driver with the date June 23, 2015.


    I'd like to thank everybody on this thread for all the support. If it weren't for the effort you did with searching and posting until a solution was found I'd still be probably sleeplessly searching the web. Thanks for these hours of sleep that I now owe you...



    adamf said: View Post
    The cause is the Apple HFS driver applehfs.sys.

    This happens with bootcamp version 3.2 (driver creation date 10/15/2010) and 5.1 (creation date 1/31/2014).

    If the driver is disabled through Autoruns for Windows then after reboot system image, recimg and restore points all work. I've tested this on 2006 core 2 duo running the old driver version and 2012 MacBook pro running the new one and in both cases disabling this driver is sufficient. Note that enabling this driver will delete all restore points you may have made.

    It does mean you can't see HFS partitions which is a bit of a bugger but there we are. Perhaps Apple will make a Windows 10 compatible driver one day.

    Thanks for the input everyone - there is no Windows error here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 1
    yosemite 10.10.5 & win10 home x64
       03 Nov 2015 #38

    Thank you so much for this workaround! I struggeled with windows 10 on my mac pro 1,1 and bootcamp 4 drivers.
    Diskcheck returned over and over again with the snapshot warning, and could'nt repair the (C:Bootcamp)disk offline.
    Replacing the 2 hfs-drivers in system32 drivers did it, everything is ok now :-)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 1
    windows 10
       29 Oct 2016 #39

    Thank you for providing the link to update the Apple HFS boot camp drivers.
    My windows 7 system backups stopped working after I upgraded to windows 10. VSS was broken.

    The applehfs.sys driver with the date June 23, 2015 fixed the problem.

    Thx all!


    tiagosmc said: View Post
    I registered just to leave this message here.

    It turns out there is a way to create a system backup image AND see HFS partitions from Windows 10.

    I followed the instructions on this page and it worked perfectly for me.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/...nload.1368010/

    I edited the registry as instructed and I managed to create the image afterwards, still being able to see all files on my Mac partition.

    It seems Boot Camp 6 corrects this issue (i.e. not being able to create backup images or restore points due to applehfs.sys), but since Apple restricts which devices should or should not receive the update, I decided to edit the registry as instructed by the above link.

    I have Boot Camp 4.1 installed and the updated drivers downloaded from the above link (be sure to download those corresponding to Boot Camp 6) only corrected the applehfs.sys and applemnt.sys drivers on my registry. Now Autoruns shows the applehfs.sys driver with the date June 23, 2015.


    I'd like to thank everybody on this thread for all the support. If it weren't for the effort you did with searching and posting until a solution was found I'd still be probably sleeplessly searching the web. Thanks for these hours of sleep that I now owe you...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
System Image - Create in Windows 10
How to Create a System Image in Windows 10 A system image is an exact copy of all system disks which can be used to restore your PC to the state it was in at the time the image was made. By default, a system image only includes the drives that...
Tutorials
System Image - Create Hardware Independent System Image
How to Create Hardware Independent System Image for Installing Windows 10 In this tutorial we will prepare a Windows 10 image customizing the default user profile and install software we want to include in a clean Windows installation. When...
Tutorials
W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation.
I installed the 32 bit version of W10 on an old Acer laptop to get back up to speed with developments, and one of the first questions or issues that cropped up is when using W10's disk image utility to make a system image. I deliberately wished to...
General Support
Want to make a quick image with cmd
I have made a little video for someone on another forum who wanted to make a quick image and mount that image in order to retrieve some data. Don't ask me why he wanted to go that route. I made him a little video explaining the process and I want to...
General Support
Solved How can we make a hidden operating system
Please can some one tell me how to make a hidden operating system in Windows 10 without using True Crypt. Basically I want to have a dual boot system with one of the operating system's being hidden/encrypted. Similar to the way True Crypt does it...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums