Windows 10: File Explorer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

  1. Posts : 9,009
    Windows 10 Professional
       28 Mar 2016 #21

    @Jezzer56:
    Whatever 'Removable Drives' are listed in your 'Safely Eject' flyout...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000130.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	72000

    will be the ones that show underneath 'This PC'

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000131.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	72001

    And, it won't be the C: drive, or whatever drive you have the 'System Reserved' on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    29 Mar 2016 #22

    Edwin said: View Post
    @Jezzer56:
    Whatever 'Removable Drives' are listed in your 'Safely Eject' flyout...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000130.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	72000

    will be the ones that show underneath 'This PC'

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000131.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	72001

    And, it won't be the C: drive, or whatever drive you have the 'System Reserved' on.
    Thanks for your reply, Edwin. Unless terminology has changed whilst I was asleep, I would class my 3 HDDs as fixed disks (non removable). They are inside the chassis of my PC. However, they appear on the safely remove hardware option, although I haven't tried ejecting any of the three to date. Apparently brink has some how-to's on File Explorer, so I will review those in an attempt to sort the navigation pain (sorry pane ) out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image4.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Mar 2016 #23

    AndreTen said: View Post
    @Jezzer56:
    Did you try this: remove and add drives from Navigation tree - tutorial
    And you can't add nonremovable drives as per tutorial above.
    AndreTen - thanks for the link. I hadn't seen this, despite numerous searches - wood and trees come to mind . I'm sure that and other articles will hold something of benefit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,036
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       29 Mar 2016 #24

    I would class my 3 HDDs as fixed disks (non removable). They are inside the chassis of my PC. However, they appear on the safely remove hardware option
    If they appear on the safely remove list then you might have them set as hot swap in BIOS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 470
    Win 10 Pro (x64), OSX 10.11
       29 Mar 2016 #25

    This is an interesting problem!

    I looked at your system specs but all I got was Intel 2500K and a Gigabytes Motherboard.
    Looks like you have a hot swap mobile rack connected to a Internal SATA backplane or hot swap drive supported by BIOS!

    Can you give us a little more info on your setup?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Mar 2016 #26

    snoopy51 said: View Post
    This is an interesting problem!

    I looked at your system specs but all I got was Intel 2500K and a Gigabytes Motherboard.
    Looks like you have a hot swap mobile rack connected to a Internal SATA backplane or hot swap drive supported by BIOS!

    Can you give us a little more info on your setup?
    Hi snoopy51. I'll reply to your post, but it's also relevant to the last post from topgundcp, as it refers to the BIOS.

    My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H-B3. The processor is an Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz.

    The motherboard supports 'hot plug' only if the AHCI option is set, as opposed to the remaining IDE or RAID options. I have AHCI set, which is why the 3 HDDs appear under the 'safely remove hardware' popup (as per topgundcp). I don't see any independent way of setting these to non swappable, but retain any benefits of AHCI. I don't have any SSDs, so I suppose there may not be any disadvantages of resorting to IDE . I did try changing to IDE mode, but the PC then failed to boot, so I reverted back to AHCI. Registry entry changes are probably required prior to attempting to change the mode to IDE. Having the drives appear in 'safely remove hardware' is no big deal though. The primary reason for this thread was to find out why the C drive doesn't appear in the navigation pane along with the other HDDs outside of 'ThisPC'. It seems that the 'System Reserved' partition must, in some way, inhibit the display. Originally, I had my E drive on Disk0, along with the reserved partition, and the E didn't show outside of 'ThisPC'. Now that I corrected the setup so that C is on Disk0, the problem has just shifted slightly .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 2,036
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       29 Mar 2016 #27

    I guess it depends on the BIOS of the MB. Mine is set AHCI and can enable/disable Hot Swap:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSI_SnapShot_01HotPlug.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	72119
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Mar 2016 #28

    topgundcp said: View Post
    I guess it depends on the BIOS of the MB. Mine is set AHCI and can enable/disable Hot Swap:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSI_SnapShot_01HotPlug.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	72119
    Mine was probably one of the last Gigabyte motherboards produced without the new fangled UEFI. Unfortunately, there is no way to set drives to non hot plug state, other than by switching to IDE mode. I doubt downloading any available motherboard update would change this. This will probably have to wait until I build my next PC, at which point I'll ensure I purchase a motherboard with the required options. May be sooner that I had planned .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 7,391
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       30 Mar 2016 #29

    Jezzer56 said: View Post
    Mine was probably one of the last Gigabyte motherboards produced without the new fangled UEFI. Unfortunately, there is no way to set drives to non hot plug state, other than by switching to IDE mode. I doubt downloading any available motherboard update would change this. This will probably have to wait until I build my next PC, at which point I'll ensure I purchase a motherboard with the required options. May be sooner that I had planned .
    You know of course, that if you set drives to non removable state, you will not have them in the folder tree - not even those, you have now.
    If you want to set them as non removable, install latest intel SATA drivers (Rapid storage) for you chipset. Even if you don't intend to use RAID, this are consedered the best sata drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    31 Mar 2016 #30

    AndreTen said: View Post
    @Jezzer56:
    Did you try this: remove and add drives from Navigation tree - tutorial
    And you can't add nonremovable drives as per tutorial above.
    I have used a few of brink's tutorials to tidy up my navigation pane as best I can. Thanks for the pointer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Related Threads
Anytime I drag a file(s) in a folder window, a translucent, oversized icon follows the mouse pointer, partially obscuring up to 4 nearby items. Can this effect be disabled? I'm sure somebody at MS thought it was slick idea, but it just gives me a...
Hi all...Using Win10 Pro x64. I would like to disable windows showing .zip files in explorer as a folder...When you highlight it the contents inside the .zip are shown in the right pane view. I've scoured the net and found ways for Win7(which I...
A brief apology: I'm probably too old to mess with this stuff (pulling 80,) but I like to try. Please be patient with me, and ask for details if I am not stating my problem clearly. I have searched, but could not find this problem already...
The File menu on Explorer has some useful shortcuts 11606 . If you select / highlight a folder in File Explorer and and then pick Open Command Prompt, then the Current Directory (CD) in Cmd is the folder selected in file Explorer. You don't...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49.
Find Us