Windows 10: Which 17" Laptop to Buy?


  1. Posts : 14,982
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       16 Mar 2016 #1

    Which 17" Laptop to Buy?


    OK, I know this has probably been asked before, but as we all know, technology changes from day to day, so . . .

    My friend wants a new 17" laptop. Ideally it will have a backlit keyboard, but she can live without it.

    So far, we've found a Lenovo with 4GB RAM and a 1T hard drive and I know several folks here have one. She hasn't heard of Lenovo before, so she's being overly cautious (which I would advise anyway).

    I'd like to hear opinions on what she should get and how much she should pay.

    Thanks in advance for any input.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,371
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       16 Mar 2016 #2

    Wynona said: View Post
    OK, I know this has probably been asked before, but as we all know, technology changes from day to day, so . . .

    My friend wants a new 17" laptop. Ideally it will have a backlit keyboard, but she can live without it.

    So far, we've found a Lenovo with 4GB RAM and a 1T hard drive and I know several folks here have one. She hasn't heard of Lenovo before, so she's being overly cautious (which I would advise anyway).

    I'd like to hear opinions on what she should get and how much she should pay.

    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Ask her if she has heard of IBM. IBM spun off their PCs to Lenovo some time ago, also spun off their HDDs to Hitachi who probably made them anyway.

    I don't see many Lenovo in my area but a neighbor/client has a 15.6" model, seems to be as good as the other brands. I have an older Dell Studio 17/1747 which runs Win10 just fine but its biggest drawback is size and weight, not an issue if it is used as a Desktop replacement. There doesn't seem to be as great a choice of 17.3" as there used to be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 14,982
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
    Thread Starter
       16 Mar 2016 #3

    Berton said: View Post
    Ask her if she has heard of IBM. IBM spun off their PCs to Lenovo some time ago, also spun off their HDDs to Hitachi who probably made them anyway.
    I told her that, but I wasn't completely sure it was IBM that spun them off to Lenovo.

    Berton said: View Post
    I don't see many Lenovo in my area but a neighbor/client has a 15.6" model, seems to be as good as the other brands. I have an older Dell Studio 17/1747 which runs Win10 just fine but its biggest drawback is size and weight, not an issue if it is used as a Desktop replacement. There doesn't seem to be as great a choice of 17.3" as there used to be.
    Hmmm, we hadn't thought of Dell; I'll look into those too.

    Thanks, Berton.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 854
    W10 pro x86 and Vista x86
       16 Mar 2016 #4

    I have a Dell 17" (Vostro 3750) that was chosen after much thought . It does have the backlit keyboard and tbh that is a really nice feature. Have to say I've been very very pleased with it. The single biggest upgrade in performance though was in slotting in a SSD. I would not have believed the difference that made. Everything is instant.

    I also have an old Acer, and while I have to say its been brilliant in that its never suffered any hardware problems, it did suffer with a hinge problem despite me being super careful. Most users were seeing these fail in warranty... mine lasted 5.5 yrs. I've fixed that myself and its going strong at 9.5 yrs old now. Would I recommend Acer... well I have an Acer tablet and that has a display fault (a green line down the side) and which at 3 yrs old is out of warranty. The hours on the tablet wont even run to 3 figures and so I would say no to Acer.

    Have a look at Dell and check out the business models (the Vostro was one such).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Mar 2016 #5

    I would stick to HP if they have a laptop she would be interested in. My present laptop is an Acer, it's face works fine, but I don't like the keyboard at all. Anyone else might get used to it, but it's very difficult for me to. I usually buy HP which had been very nice and if I have a problem the techs at HP are very nice to deal with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Mar 2016 #6

    I have an ASUS with a 17.3 inch screen. No backlit keyboard though. I've been very happy with it. Mine has dual drive bays, which could be a bonus. Other laptops in this size rang may have them too. You could run Windows on an SSD and keep your Data on a spinner. I have two SSD's in mine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
My system just suddenly crashed while I was using software "Line" and browsing internet on Google Chrome. Can somebody tell what's going on? I am getting really paranoid now:(:huh::huh::zip: Computer: MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro ...
Hi, I have a problem with my laptop running Windows 10. The laptop came with Windows 8 two years ago, and I later upgraded to Windows 8.1, and this summer to Windows 10, and this November to Windows 10 Fall Update (1511). Since the Windows 10...
Hello everyone, I returned an HP spectre x360 to BestBuy the other day because of some issues I was having with it but before doing so I created a Windows Image Backup (I went to File History and created a system image which included all the...
Loading Dump File Kernel Bitmap Dump File: Kernel address space is available, User address space may not be available. ************* Symbol Path validation summary ************** Response Time (ms) Location...
I'm at my wits end. I took advantage of the Windows 10 update on my Samsung laptop several weeks ago, and everything went fine. I've been using it daily with no issues. So, when my wife asked if she should allow the update on her (identical)...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07.
Find Us