Windows 10: Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue. Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
       12 Mar 2016 #1

    Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue.


    Hello everyone,

    For the past few days Windows 10 has been hanging at shutdown. The symptoms are as follows: When shutting down the computer, it'll make it past the shutdown screen, my monitor will turn off and display "No Signal" which is normal, although the computer will remain on anywhere from two minutes to five minutes.

    This is completely random from what I can tell. Sometimes after the monitor shuts off the computer will also follow a couple of seconds later and sometimes it won't.

    I've taken a look at event viewer and the only things I can see in regards in startup/shutdown are the following:

    "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."

    "This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:
    File Name : EventLog
    Friendly Name :
    Version :
    Total Time : 1691ms
    Degradation Time : 933ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎03T07:30:08.061894600Z"

    There are a few other errors although most are just relating to process taking a long time to start up and indications that the system booted. All other times the system has taken a very long while to shut down the above error and only the above error was displayed in event viewer, always pointing to EventLog.

    Here are my specs.

    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790S @ 3.20GHz 30 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. K30AD_M31AD_M51AD_M32AD (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
    Graphics
    NS-32L450A11 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA) 33 °C
    Storage
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA) 37 °C
    Optical Drives
    ASUS SH-224DB
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    Audio
    Logitech G430 Gaming Headset


    I've attached a Speccy text export below. If I can provide any other additional information please don't hesitate to ask and thank you for taking the time to read this post and assist me with the issue.
    Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue. Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    13 Mar 2016 #2

    Hi, does this happen in particular if you have Chrome completely shut down before you shut down the PC?

    And does this happen if you clean boot, then try shut down?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 11
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       13 Mar 2016 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, does this happen in particular if you have Chrome completely shut down before you shut down the PC?

    And does this happen if you clean boot, then try shut down?
    Hi Dalchina,

    Thank you for taking the time to post. I'll go ahead and see if the issue persists while Chrome is closed down and with a clean boot. I'll report back after.

    It's odd because this problem only recently started with zero changes to anyway software/hardware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Mar 2016 #4

    Odd things do happen... triggered by anything from cosmic rays to updates going on behind one's back...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Mar 2016 #5

    windows shutdown issue
    Easy301 said: View Post
    Hello everyone,

    For the past few days Windows 10 has been hanging at shutdown. The symptoms are as follows: When shutting down the computer, it'll make it past the shutdown screen, my monitor will turn off and display "No Signal" which is normal, although the computer will remain on anywhere from two minutes to five minutes.

    This is completely random from what I can tell. Sometimes after the monitor shuts off the computer will also follow a couple of seconds later and sometimes it won't.

    I've taken a look at event viewer and the only things I can see in regards in startup/shutdown are the following:

    "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."

    "This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:
    File Name : EventLog
    Friendly Name :
    Version :
    Total Time : 1691ms
    Degradation Time : 933ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎03T07:30:08.061894600Z"

    There are a few other errors although most are just relating to process taking a long time to start up and indications that the system booted. All other times the system has taken a very long while to shut down the above error and only the above error was displayed in event viewer, always pointing to EventLog.

    Here are my specs.

    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790S @ 3.20GHz 30 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. K30AD_M31AD_M51AD_M32AD (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
    Graphics
    NS-32L450A11 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA) 33 °C
    Storage
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA) 37 °C
    Optical Drives
    ASUS SH-224DB
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    Audio
    Logitech G430 Gaming Headset


    I've attached a Speccy text export below. If I can provide any other additional information please don't hesitate to ask and thank you for taking the time to read this post and assist me with the issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,284
    Windows 10.3 Home 1703 x64 (Home per choice)
       13 Mar 2016 #6

    When you are testing Chrome, do not forget to uncheck running apps in the background in advanced settings.

    You could run autoend.bat (attached bellow) as admin to force anything to stop, when shutting down PC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_03132016_190417.jpg  
    Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue. Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Mar 2016 #7

    ive had the same issues in the past after windows 10 updates what I do is shut off comp unplug power cord push power button back on then replug power cord back in then rebot then the problem goes away windows will shut down normally
    Easy301 said: View Post
    Hello everyone,

    For the past few days Windows 10 has been hanging at shutdown. The symptoms are as follows: When shutting down the computer, it'll make it past the shutdown screen, my monitor will turn off and display "No Signal" which is normal, although the computer will remain on anywhere from two minutes to five minutes.

    This is completely random from what I can tell. Sometimes after the monitor shuts off the computer will also follow a couple of seconds later and sometimes it won't.

    I've taken a look at event viewer and the only things I can see in regards in startup/shutdown are the following:

    "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."

    "This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:
    File Name : EventLog
    Friendly Name :
    Version :
    Total Time : 1691ms
    Degradation Time : 933ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎03T07:30:08.061894600Z"

    There are a few other errors although most are just relating to process taking a long time to start up and indications that the system booted. All other times the system has taken a very long while to shut down the above error and only the above error was displayed in event viewer, always pointing to EventLog.

    Here are my specs.

    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790S @ 3.20GHz 30 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. K30AD_M31AD_M51AD_M32AD (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
    Graphics
    NS-32L450A11 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA) 33 °C
    Storage
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA) 37 °C
    Optical Drives
    ASUS SH-224DB
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    Audio
    Logitech G430 Gaming Headset


    I've attached a Speccy text export below. If I can provide any other additional information please don't hesitate to ask and thank you for taking the time to read this post and assist me with the issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Mar 2016 #8

    Just a thought. Do you have "fast startup" turned on in power options? I had shut down hanging issues before and turning that off solved it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter
       14 Mar 2016 #9

    Thanks everyone for the help. The issue still persists with Chrome shutdown and "Continue running background apps" unchecked. I have not seen the issue with a clean boot but again, it's very hard to actually reproduce the issue so it's hard to tell if that helped isolate the issue or if it just has not shown up the two times I've tried shutting down from a clean bot.

    While the long shutdown can be annoying it's certainty nothing I can't live with if I have to. With that said, I'd like to rule out two major issues though before just living with the sometimes long shutdown time.

    My two major concerns are 1. Is this actually hurting my computer? I'd like to consider myself a pretty advanced computer user and while I don't see any harm that can come from a long shutdown (Windows is doing what it needs to do.) I just wanted to be sure. 2. Can this be indicative of any type of incoming hardware issue/failure? HDD sentinel reports my HDD in perfect condition and hardware monitoring so far reports all temps and such in normal ranges.

    Edit: Yes, I do currently have Fast Boot Enabled for my OS.

    Thank you everyone again for taking the time to assist me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Mar 2016 #10

    Clearly if it were a hardware related problem it would have to be fairly specific- your PC isn't crashing when running normally.
    My guess is you're not going to damage anything- it's more likely to be related to, say, drivers or software installed.

    You know quite well how often it occurs, so I suggest you continue the clean boot approach and then allow more programs to run progressively until you see the problem again.

    Backstop comparison is of course safe mode.

    Some have found this to be related to page file management- have you changed the default settings for this at all?

    Here are some random examples- there are many results if you do a general search for "PC slow shutting down" for example, and of course you can search in this forum. (OK these aren't necessarily Win 10, but the architecture remains very similar)

    Very Slow Computer Shutdown - Delete Computer History
    windows 8.1 - Why does my computer take an abnormally long time to shut down? - Super User
    keyliner.blogspot.com: Windows 8.1 Fix for Slow Shutdown and Restart
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Shutdown issue in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi Ive just got a new pc that roughly half the time doesn't shutdown correctly. It displays the shutdown screen, goes blank and then does nothing. It remains powered and the fan comes on and off when need. (Its only a small Atom CPU). Ive tried...
Hello everyone, I would like to share this situation over my HP dv6-61xx Laptop which hangs for some time (I can't say how the average time it takes) during boot. Every time it stuck on black screen during boot (before get into login screen), with...
Windows 10 Hanging and BSODs in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
My newly built computer is borderline unusable due to constant hangs- the computer will frequently pause then continue after about 45 seconds, which makes doing any work basically impossible. During the course of writing these few sentences running...
I had a kali linux installed in my computer. Then I tried to install Windows 10 using a bootable USB drive. (I created it by downloading the windows 10 ISO and then creating USB drive using Rufus.) But when I was trying to install windows 10, it...
Hanging issue with windows 10 in General Support
Does anybody know what issue I am currently facing? It occurs randomly when I am using the computer. So what happens is that while I am doing my stuff, the computer just hangs for a while like 1~2 seconds and after that everything will be back to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Š Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53.
Find Us