Windows 10: Free upgrade license type requirements Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    25 Feb 2015 #1

    Free upgrade license type requirements


    Hello this is my first post so "Hi!".

    I've read on Wikipedia that the Windows 10 free upgrade will offered to all users of "consumer editions" of Windows 7 and 8.1. I'm currently at a stage where I need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 but do not have a recovery disc. Does the "consumer edition" bit mean that if I buy a cheap OEM copy of Windows 7 off of EBay I won't be entitled the free upgrade? Am I right in thinking that the same would apply to discs/licences "intended for distribution with a refurbished PC"?

    Thanks in advance
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 713
    Windows 10 Build 14267
       25 Feb 2015 #2

    It's not clear yet, but I guess that any legal copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 will be eligible.

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    25 Feb 2015 #3

    Haha I suppose MS is unlikely to be too clear about ways to save money.
    Thanks for the reply
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 605
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       25 Feb 2015 #4

    sonar891 said: View Post
    Hello this is my first post so "Hi!".

    I've read on Wikipedia that the Windows 10 free upgrade will offered to all users of "consumer editions" of Windows 7 and 8.1. I'm currently at a stage where I need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 but do not have a recovery disc. Does the "consumer edition" bit mean that if I buy a cheap OEM copy of Windows 7 off of EBay I won't be entitled the free upgrade? Am I right in thinking that the same would apply to discs/licences "intended for distribution with a refurbished PC"?

    Thanks in advance
    If you currently have a license to run Windows 7, you don't need to buy a copy - you can download one for free from Digital River.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    25 Feb 2015 #5

    Awesome thanks, you saved me !
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    25 Feb 2015 #6

    sgage said: View Post
    If you currently have a license to run Windows 7, you don't need to buy a copy - you can download one for free from Digital River.
    You'll be able to upgrade to Win10 from the Windows Store.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 8,766
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       25 Feb 2015 #7

    I think the digital river downloads are no longer available.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 21,930
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       25 Feb 2015 #8

    Dude said: View Post
    I think the digital river downloads are no longer available.
    Yeah, they got yanked a while back.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    25 Feb 2015 #9

    Dude said: View Post
    I think the digital river downloads are no longer available.
    I agree.. the only way to get a valid copy is via MS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    25 Feb 2015 #10

    Oh well. Thanks for the advice,
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
This may already have been answered, but I haven't seen it answered in a way that I thought captured the significant details. Scenario: I have a PC with a retail copy of Win 8.1 Pro installed and activated. I get the free Win 10 Pro upgrade by...
So the MS position on upgraded Win 7 / 8 machines is straight-forward: for the life of the device. But what does this mean for non-OEM people, who are using a retail Windows license, which they upgrade to Windows 10? If they get a new PC, and...
Currently I dual-boot 8.1 and 10 TP, my computer comes with Windows 8 and therefore is eligable for a free upgrade to 10. I'm happy with the stability of Windows 10 TP, so I'm asking this: Can I upgrade my OEM license Windows 8.1 install to the...
Hi geeks. Generally speaking I am not a friend of these tuning and optimizing tools. I have not found a single utility to optimize my PC which does something I cannot do manually by myself. However, for those who like this kind of apps, check...
Is it known whether the serial of an upgraded Windows 7 or 8 will become affiliated with MS as being a Windows 10 serial, so that the license owner may reinstall Windows 10 after a format or machine-license transfer, including beyond the 1-year...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:37.
Find Us