Windows 10: Desktop disappeared

  1.    07 Mar 2016 #1

    Desktop disappeared


    I have been using Windows 10 for some time now. I just lost everything on my desktop. I had numerous folders,pictures, pdfs and some music. I can still get to it by going to file manager etc. But the folders and icons do not appear on the desktop. Only those boxes with calendar email, etc,

    I probably clicked something to turn it off, but I can find anywhere to turn them back on. HELP Please.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       07 Mar 2016 #2

    Hello Bob Gee Welcome to the Ten Forums!

    One method to see all those folders refreshed as far as showing up on the desktop would be moving them into a different temp folder perhaps on a different location on the C drive and restart the system so no traces are found once Windows loads the desktop again. Once everything is fully loaded up you then move them back into the users\user account\Desktop folder to have them appear fresh.

    Occasionally Windows will tend to forget things. Device drivers go inactive and suddenly you lose sound or something else doesn't work until they are refreshed. Likewise this would be a first thought on how to see them restored desktop wise. That should see an instant result.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       07 Mar 2016 #3

    Bob Gee,
    You might have tablet mode turned on.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

    On the right side of your taskbar, there is an icon call Notification > click it > click Tablet mode.
    See if you get your desktop back.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notification icon - tablet mode.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	68236
    Last edited by Brink; 07 Mar 2016 at 23:26. Reason: added tutorial link for more info
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 Mar 2016 #4

    davidhk said: View Post
    Bob Gee,
    You might have tablet mode turned on.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

    On the right side of your taskbar, there is an icon call Notification > click it > click Tablet mode.
    See if you get your desktop back.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notification icon - tablet mode.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	68236
    Thank You it Worked
    Bob G
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Mar 2016 #5

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    Hello Bob Gee Welcome to the Ten Forums!

    One method to see all those folders refreshed as far as showing up on the desktop would be moving them into a different temp folder perhaps on a different location on the C drive and restart the system so no traces are found once Windows loads the desktop again. Once everything is fully loaded up you then move them back into the users\user account\Desktop folder to have them appear fresh.

    Occasionally Windows will tend to forget things. Device drivers go inactive and suddenly you lose sound or something else doesn't work until they are refreshed. Likewise this would be a first thought on how to see them restored desktop wise. That should see an instant result.
    Thank you, but it was in tablet mode. It is resolved. Thank you for resaponding
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       09 Mar 2016 #6

    Bob Gee said: View Post
    Thank You it Worked
    Bob G
    You are welcome.
    Please mark your thread as Solved.
    Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       09 Mar 2016 #7

    Bob Gee said: View Post
    Thank you, but it was in tablet mode. It is resolved. Thank you for resaponding
    The important thing is you found out where the problem was. I haven't been using the Tablet mode at all since I never use tablets, touch phones, netbooks while staying mainly with desktops and laptops often servicing them! At least now you know what to look for!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Desktop Icons Have Disappeared in General Support
Well, I did something, but cannot find out what it was I dis or how to rectify it. This AM when starting Windows 10 Home, I had no icons on the desktop. Using the file explorer>desktop, they are there, so i did not delete them. Somehow I have...
Hello everyone! I have a question/problem and I want to know if this ever happened to any of you. I was working on an Excel file, that was saved on my desktop, I saved it, closed it and when I clicked on it (the icon file on my desktop) it...
i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the names of them were there. and on the task bar there are icons there but not the ones that fit...
Windows 10 desktop disappeared in General Support
Hello, I am new here and I have an HP ENVY 4 notebook PC (64-bit OS/x64-Based processor) and I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, the only issue is that my screen is black with the cursor, so if I hit CTRL + ALT + DEL and open Task Manager and...
hi frens , please help me . this evening, suddenly whn i switched on my system which got updated to windows 10, is not showing any of my files / folders. i don know what happened. all vanished. jus google chrome , i tunes and recycle bin are on...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38.
Find Us