Windows 10: Quick Access - lost desktop as a location Solved

  1.    04 Mar 2016 #1

    Quick Access - lost desktop as a location


    I seem to have lost Desktop as a print to and Quick Access location. Seemed to coincide with this past Tuesday's update (3/1/16). Also lost Desktop as a print to location.

    Went though a google search and I cant seem to get it back. Appreciate all thoughts, Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Mar 2016 #2

    Hi idainc,

    Not sure if this is what you meant, but if you wanted to create another "Show Desktop" shortcut, then take a look at the below link. You should be able to create the shortcut and place it wherever you wanted, including the Quick Launch area.

    Show Desktop Shortcut - Create in Windows 10


    b1rd
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 14
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       04 Mar 2016 #3

    idainc said: View Post
    I seem to have lost Desktop as a print to and Quick Access location. Seemed to coincide with this past Tuesday's update (3/1/16). Also lost Desktop as a print to location.

    Went though a google search and I cant seem to get it back. Appreciate all thoughts, Thanks.
    in File Explorer Open Desktop then Right Click on Quick Access and click " Pin current Folder to Quick Access "

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (253).png 
Views:	4 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	67623
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 Mar 2016 #4

    Thanks for your responses. I created the shortcut for desktop but couldn't drag / drop into the screen I posted. And for #2 I don't have desktop listed anywhere for me to request to pin to quick access. System restore hasn't helped either. I think this may mean a restore form a system image
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 Mar 2016 #5

    I think that I might have been wrong about part of my suggestion. Rather than dragging it to the Quick Launch, try right-clicking it and select "Pin To Taskbar."

    I just deleted my own 'Show Desktop' shortcut from my Taskbar to test things, and recreated one using Option One, where I download the actual shortcut to my Desktop from HERE.

    I don't know if the proper icon was suppose to be there when I downloaded it, but it wasn't, so I went ahead and created a new one using Google Images. I just searched for the 'Show Desktop' icon. It will need to be in an .ico format. If you don't have any photo editors that will change it, then simply google .ico conversion websites and there will be a bunch of sites to change it for you.

    From there, just place it where you want, then when you want to change the icon for the shortcut, right-click it and select "Change Icon." Now just navigate to where to put it. (I just pop a copy into System32 myself) Now right-click and select "Pin To Taskbar" and that should fix things.

    With that said, the correct icon might actually be in the icons folder, (which I would suspect that it is) but I got tired of looking. Plus, I like the older style anyhow.

    b1rd

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	67647
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    04 Mar 2016 #6

    b1rd said: View Post
    I think that I might have been wrong about part of my suggestion. Rather than dragging it to the Quick Launch, try right-clicking it and select "Pin To Taskbar."

    I just deleted my own 'Show Desktop' shortcut from my Taskbar to test things, and recreated one using Option One, where I download the actual shortcut to my Desktop from HERE.

    I don't know if the proper icon was suppose to be there when I downloaded it, but it wasn't, so I went ahead and created a new one using Google Images. I just searched for the 'Show Desktop' icon. It will need to be in an .ico format. If you don't have any photo editors that will change it, then simply google .ico conversion websites and there will be a bunch of sites to change it for you.

    From there, just place it where you want, then when you want to change the icon for the shortcut, right-click it and select "Change Icon." Now just navigate to where to put it. (I just pop a copy into System32 myself) Now right-click and select "Pin To Taskbar" and that should fix things.

    With that said, the correct icon might actually be in the icons folder, (which I would suspect that it is) but I got tired of looking. Plus, I like the older style anyhow.

    b1rd

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	67647
    Thanks. I cant get it to go back to Quick Acees nor can I print pdf's to desktop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    04 Mar 2016 #7

    idainc said: View Post
    Thanks. I cant get it to go back to Quick Acees nor can I print pdf's to desktop.
    Got it !

    c:/users/default/desktop icon - right click "pin to quick access...

    Now on to a reinstalling Realtek driver issue ! Thanks again.

    But I still cant print a pdf to desktop ?
    Last edited by idainc; 04 Mar 2016 at 19:49.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    05 Mar 2016 #8

    Update of this week changed the desktop folder in users to downloads = there were two download folders. MS chat rename the one back to desktop and all was well again. 4 chat sessions and I finally got someone who knew what they were doing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Disable Quick Access in Customization
I read the following thread. Quick access in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I am looking for a faster way to do it with less steps. Does anyone have a .reg or .bat that does everything for you? Can someone...
Quick Access help in General Support
I can't link a shortcut of my user folder to Quick Access. It only links the direct folder which has a silly name (created by the first five letters of my email address), and it's just so stupid to look at. I want Quick Access to refer to the...
Hi I have dual screens and have two task bars. I have an exe I'd like to pin to either Quick Access or my second task bar, but I can't find anyway to do either. Any way to do this ? Thanks
I have a link to an FTP folder that I can not get to pin to Win Explorer Quick Launch. The shortcut appears in c:\users\\links but does not appear in the quick access list. Opening the file in Win Explorer and right clicking on "Quick access"...
How do I remove quick access? in General Support
I'm not a fan of quick access/frequent folder/recent files. I liked the windows 8 system. Reason is because I don't want people who use my computer to have quick access to files that are personal or nsfw. I don't to use a type of security system...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29.
Find Us