Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    01 Mar 2016 #11
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,567
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.125

    Seems like you might have to do an in-place upgrade
    Link is in my signature
    Unless any other member can come up with anything
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    01 Mar 2016 #12
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,606
    Windows 10 IoT

    For me, the actual ICON's in the Notifications area show correctly. It's only in settings where you turn them off or on, that the image is missing. I can live with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Mar 2016 #13
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 96
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter

    This one solved it... but I'll report after a day or two to see if it's truly the case.




    • Type regedit in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.
    • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
    • In the Details pane, click the IconStreams registry entry.
    • On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    • In the Details pane, click the PastIconsStream registry entry.
    • On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    • Exit Registry Editor.
    • Restart the Explorer.exe process. To do these, follow these steps:
      1. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
      2. On the Processes tab in Task Manager, click the explorer.exe process, and then click End Process two times.
      3. On the File menu, click New Tasks (Run), type explorer, and then click OK.
      4. Exit Task Manager.

    5.Click Start, type Customize icons and then click Customize icons on the task bar.
    6. Click Turn system icons on or off, and then set Volume, Network, and Power System to On.
    7. Click OK, make sure that the behavior for Power, Network, and Volume are set correctly, and then click OK.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Mar 2016 #14
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,606
    Windows 10 IoT

    That sounds like the procedure you had to use to get ride of dead icons left in the notifications area when you uninstalled a program. I may give that a try latter on. I've done it in the past with no ill effects.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Mar 2016 #15
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 96
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    That sounds like the procedure you had to use to get ride of dead icons left in the notifications area when you uninstalled a program. I may give that a try latter on. I've done it in the past with no ill effects.
    Not exactly. It still lists installed app's icons. Like Skype. I still have it but it's still empty box.
    Yet the majority of the missing icon's box are gone.

    However one thing I still cannot solve.
    The quiet hours mode are always enabled even that the Quiet Hours mode was not clicked and it's not highlighted..
    I'm referring to the Action Center icon next to the clock..
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    02 Mar 2016 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,567
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.125

    Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    Not exactly. It still lists installed app's icons. Like Skype. I still have it but it's still empty box.
    Yet the majority of the missing icon's box are gone.

    However one thing I still cannot solve.
    The quiet hours mode are always enabled even that the Quiet Hours mode was not clicked and it's not highlighted..
    I'm referring to the Action Center icon next to the clock..
    Have you tried your C drive then All users or your admin account
    Then Programs also Programs 86 as Skype folder can be in them as that is where I got rid of a skype folder from that was playing up.
    Then because I use it I reinstalled it from the store
    Or see if Revo Uninstaller will get rid of it for you
    The other problem you have I cant help you with as I don't use it
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    02 Mar 2016 #17
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 96
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for the help so far!

    I found a fix to my issue, switched this OFF by setting to 0 in registry:
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PushNotifications]
    "NoToastApplicationNotification"=dword:00000000
    Now I have notification enabled and I can set quiet mode on or off
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    02 Mar 2016 #18
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,606
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    This one solved it... but I'll report after a day or two to see if it's truly the case.



    • Type regedit in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.
    • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
    • In the Details pane, click the IconStreams registry entry.
    • On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    • In the Details pane, click the PastIconsStream registry entry.
    • On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    • Exit Registry Editor.
    • Restart the Explorer.exe process. To do these, follow these steps:
      1. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
      2. On the Processes tab in Task Manager, click the explorer.exe process, and then click End Process two times.
      3. On the File menu, click New Tasks (Run), type explorer, and then click OK.
      4. Exit Task Manager.

    5.Click Start, type Customize icons and then click Customize icons on the task bar.
    6. Click Turn system icons on or off, and then set Volume, Network, and Power System to On.
    7. Click OK, make sure that the behavior for Power, Network, and Volume are set correctly, and then click OK.
    Did it, the messed up Icons are gone, gone completely. Will have to wait for them to come back to see if the icons show correctly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    03 Mar 2016 #19
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 96
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    Thread Starter

    hi.. I'm glad I was able to help out
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    08 Mar 2016 #20
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,606
    Windows 10 IoT

    They're back. I have 5 showing as just a solid one color square. Microsoft Outlook, task manager, uTorrent, etc. They display correctly in the actual notifications area though. They are only messed up in Settings. Something else weird, is Location Notification is listed twice in the select which icons appear list?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Missing Icons in Taskbar
According to all I have read there should be a Properties Icon shown when you right click a blank area of the Taskbar in W10. There should also be a Task View icon to the right of the Start icon. I have neither of these. If I right click the Taskbar...
General Support
Missing Taskbar Icons
Whenever I run a Windows 10 specific app, such as Edge, Store, Weather, etc, It opens properly, but the icon on the taskbar is simply a square with a line under it if it is active and only the line shows when it is inactive. If I pin a Windows 10...
General Support
Missing App Icons on Taskbar
No app icons will appear on the taskbar. They show fine in the Start menu, but are missing on the taskbar. It only includes apps, no installed programs are having this issue. This includes calculator, Edge, Xbox, etc. I tried rebuilding the icon...
Performance & Maintenance
missing taskbar app icons, no internet connection, sound problem
MS upgraded my desktop from win8.1 to 10 just a couple of days ago. It worked fine for a day or two, and then the app icons missing from the taskbar and the remaining start, search and taskview buttons not responding at all. Later the internet...
General Support
taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons
My taskbar is missing and my icons on the desktop are missing as well the background is dark kindly help:shock:
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums