Windows 10: Windows 10 won’t shut down restart /Device Manager and Update Issues
Windows 10 won’t shut down restart /Device Manager and Update Issues
Having MAJOR issues with my custom build desktop. Was running fine for a few days. No malware, AV, or sketchy software, only using Windows Defender. Issues started, were fixed, and are back full flight again. This is my gaming rig.
Here is my CBS log for current errors:
· Windows 10 Pro Legit copy, clean bootdrive install
· I5-6600k @ 4.6 stable (removed OC’ for now)
· GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI Mobo
· 16GB Ripjaws DD4 2800 CL16
· Evga GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ SC x2 in SLI (removed OC’ for now)
· Samsung 840 256gb boot drive
· Crucial M500 1Tb SSD
· Asus 24” 1080 IPS, Xstar 1440p 27”, 60” LG Plasma
· W10 is totally busted, works fine on my Surface Pro 4, was a nightmare on my Pro 3 with random crashes
· May have patched my video drivers with the nvidia pixel clock patcher 1.3.5 incorrectly (to run my Xstar @ 120hz)
· Unknown root cause?
Here are the issues:
· W10 gets stuck on restart, shutting down, getting Windows ready Don’t turn off your computer (need to hold power down to shutdown, then issues on boot)
· W10 might shut down but leave PC fans lights and usb powered
· W10 start menu occasionally stops working on certain boots, also icons disappear and menu becomes see through (aero look)
-Windows Store Icon invisible on Taskbar and won't open
-Windows Apps won't open
· W10 update always says no internet connection, or stuck on checking for updates….
· Device Manager totally screwed, stuck on driver update, stuck on scanning, stuck on removing drivers
· Can’t restore from backup, just hangs
· Device Manager missing monitors
· Most programs won’t install or uninstall properly gets stuck
· USB storage devices stopped being recognized on some boots
· Settings doesn’t always pull up, freezes on some menus
· Can't uninstall updates, just hangs
· Can’t eject USB drives
· Random boot errors
· Sfc/ scannow – found corrupt entries and repaired
· Troubleshoot startup repair
· Windows Update (won’t connect when PC is hosed)
· Turn off fast startup, remove sleep from menu
· Tried restore from backup but hangs
· Managed to get USB recognized on a boot and used my W10 USB install to run a repair install and retain apps and files. THIS WORKED. All symptoms were cured. I did a clean video driver removal in safe mode using DDU, reinstalled latest Nvidia drivers and PC was running fine after several reboots. USB drives stopped responding so I shutdown and the problem started over again will all the same symptoms.
· Second time I tried to run the stick solution it got stuck on getting windows update….
· Sfc /scannow is showing no integrity issues now but all problems are present.
Not sure where to go from here
Last edited by drclawscat; 22 Feb 2016 at 22:34.
Wow, have you done a MemTest86+ yet?
Hi pcunite, ran memtest for 8.5 hrs last night and passed all test.
I managed to get the windows repair run from usb to finally complete after 3rd attempt, which helped the major issues but Windows 10 is still highly unstable.
On some boots, device manager gets stuck and is missing the monitors option, certain usb devices not recognized, windows store won't connect to internet, the windows apps show a taskbar icon when launched but won't open (settings, weather, news, etc.), excel and word stuck on launch, and occasionally I can't install / uninstall programs depending on the boot.
The most annoying thing is that the machine won't shut down. It shuts down OS and screens but fans lights usb devices remain powered. After a long power button press machine shuts down but USB remains powered until the power supply switch is turned off. Restart now works but takes awhile.
I have disabled fast startup and also updated my bios and USB drivers to the latest since.
Any other suggestions welcome or anyone else with similar issues please contribute.
Last edited by drclawscat; 22 Feb 2016 at 15:05.
attaching current CBS log from sfc /scannow errors. flash.ocx seems to be the only issue
Last edited by drclawscat; 23 Feb 2016 at 03:49.
Bump on a Tuesday
It has some be something wrong with your system or a system incompatibility. Windows 10 has been extremely stable (more so) than Windows 7 was.
Back on windows 8.1 and running stable since my downgrade. Its not a hardware defect but possibly driver or W10 not handling various hardware properly. Like I mentioned on other machines from big name pc companies acer, microsoft, and hp I've experienced a myriad of problems with W10. If you Google the issues I've encountered many others are reporting subsets of these and there didn't seem be a solid resolution to most.
The only positive experience is on my SP4 w10 works flawlessly however.
Good to hear it. I do have one system that did not have proper Windows 10 support (a SL510 Thinkpad). If that is the case, then we can only hope for future updates.
I have an Acer Aspire E 17 - ES1-711-P1UV
When I updated my OS from Windows 8 to Windows 10 I noticed that the touchpad stopped working. I connected a USB mouse to the Laptop and that allowed me to have mouse functionality.
I look for adding Device manager in THIS PC context menu.
The tip for win 8x don't work with 10.
Tried to use reg files from here:
I just upgraded to Windows 10; not much problems for me, except one that I really wish I new that before upgrading.
Let me just say this; the Windows 10 app on my pc (runing Win7 Ultimate) did not say anything about this issue, that's...
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and since that time I don't have a DVD – R drive. I still have my DVD – RW, but the other drive is missing from the device manager and the computer list. What happened to it? What...
So I have a dual-monitor setup hooked up to my port replicator for my Dell E7240. I have my main monitor hooked up with a DVI cable and my second monitor hooked up with a DisplayPort (from the port replicator) to HDMI (on the monitor) cable....