Windows 10: can i avoid downloading from net in the start menu ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    16 Feb 2016 #21

    whs said: View Post
    I have never used any system in German - neither in my 30 years as professional programmer nor with Windows. I do not understand the German terminology.
    Probably best you stay with Windows 7 then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       16 Feb 2016 #22

    One way I recently discovered if you're looking to have control over the specific Windows 10 automation's and background internet apps would be to use this handy tool. You can find it here: OO ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10

    It's called O&O Shutup10 and it allows you to use simple slide buttons in a stand alone program to disable pretty much all of Windows background processes, including Windows update, handy if your on a metered connection. If you turn off everything though it will diminish the user experience of Windows 10 as all the handy features it offers will be stopped. Don't worry you can simply turn them back on via the same software.

    Also as other have said the simplest way to kill the live tiles is to right click the tile and choose "turn off live tiles", then unpin it from the start menu if you don't plan on using it. Removing the apps themselves is possible, I think CCleaner will allow you to remove them if you insist, but I did that and it damaged the OS and had to run a script command to bring them back to fix it. Some components are required and will break areas of the operating system if they are removed. Such as Cortana, removing that kind of wrecked my start menu.

    All you can do is remove them and see what happens if your hell bent on it I guess.

    Now if I could just figure out why my Live Tile for the mail app no longer notifies me of new mail messages. Grrr!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Feb 2016 #23

    Britton said: View Post
    One way I recently discovered if you're looking to have control over the specific Windows 10 automation's and background internet apps would be to use this handy tool.!
    Britton said: View Post
    Now if I could just figure out why my Live Tile for the mail app no longer notifies me of new mail messages. Grrr!!
    Have think then mate.

    I like you - your posts are enthusiastic and joyful but you have already answered your own question. Don't play around with your tool.

    You are better off using WUMT
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Feb 2016 #24

    "Removing the apps themselves is possible, I think CCleaner will allow you to remove them if you insist, but I did that and it damaged the OS"
    You can remove them but they are regenerated by Windows Update. In CC Cleaner, if you remove some, check back a couple days later, do a sort by install date and you'll see what I mean. They are either re-installed or updated so it's futile to uninstall selected apps. Just don't use them, they take up little space.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Feb 2016 #25

    mrgeek said: View Post
    [I]" They are either re-installed or updated so it's futile to uninstall selected apps. Just don't use them, they take up little space.[/SIZE]
    Rubbish. I have a 29GB partition set aside for windows.

    The apps I removed were more than 1 GB which is pretty big. Solitaire and the CandyCrush were the worst space hogs (about half).

    The apps are not regenerated - only when you upgrade to a new version (or build) of Windows.

    I wish people would understand the difference between update and upgrade. It is not that complicated is it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       16 Feb 2016 #26

    lx07 said: View Post
    Have think then mate.

    I like you - your posts are enthusiastic and joyful but you have already answered your own question. Don't play around with your tool.

    You are better off using WUMT
    LMAO, I know man, I know. I only launched the tool, I like the live tiles. They add life to the start menu and give some eye candy, yeah! I do not know why the mail tile no longer updates it was working fine and just stopped on its own. It could be something I did or perhaps its just buggy in my case. Probably something I did that seemed unrelated but was.

    I could start a post about on here but I don't think that would be very productive. I haven't even researched it on my own yet and failure to do that would be laziness on my part. Perhaps it only updates after the messages have been there a few mins/hours. I usually check the mail immediately when an inbound notification of new mail pops up in the notification area. Next time I'll wait and see if the live tile updates after a few minutes. I'm always exploring the system and its various properties, call me a tinkerer if you like, but its what I like to do when I'm just hanging out with nothing else better to do.

    The issue I mentioned in the earlier post was carried out on the upgrade install. That was me trying in vain to make Windows 10 act more like Windows 7 I guess. Hadn't gotten used to it at that time. So its unrelated to my current live tile issue. This install has been running pretty good because it was a fresh install I carried out a week or so after the upgrade. Just couldn't stand all the leftover crap from the Windows 7 install, seemed so messy to me anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Feb 2016 #27

    dalchina said: View Post
    Odd- is that W. Defender or another? Never had a problem like that with Win 10 except with Defender on an upgrade, initially after the upgrade when I really struggled to gain control of my CPU time for that and another reason. But that was June last year.

    Is that activity solely related to live tiles.. or sthg else?
    hi
    never used windows defender , only eset smart security (nod32 + nod32 firewall)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 Feb 2016 #28

    dalchina said: View Post
    Odd- is that W. Defender or another? Never had a problem like that with Win 10 except with Defender on an upgrade, initially after the upgrade when I really struggled to gain control of my CPU time for that and another reason. But that was June last year.

    Is that activity solely related to live tiles.. or sthg else?
    Britton said: View Post
    One way I recently discovered if you're looking to have control over the specific Windows 10 automation's and background internet apps would be to use this handy tool. You can find it here: OO ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10
    hi
    thanks
    yes great application!
    i have to try it again
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    16 Feb 2016 #29

    lx07 said: View Post
    Rubbish. I have a 29GB partition set aside for windows.

    The apps I removed were more than 1 GB which is pretty big. Solitaire and the CandyCrush were the worst space hogs (about half).

    The apps are not regenerated - only when you upgrade to a new version (or build) of Windows.

    I wish people would understand the difference between update and upgrade. It is not that complicated is it?
    hi
    really? 1gb of unless application ???
    insane really , rubbish i agree
    may i know which tool did you use to get rid of them?
    i want to keep only email and calendar
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    16 Feb 2016 #30

    "The apps are not regenerated - only when you upgrade to a new version (or build) of Windows."
    I defer but I have removed Store apps before. Some like 'Get Office' or 'Get Started' never came back but there was a cumulative update on 1/29 and 2/4 and all the highlighted apps were either updated or reinstalled same dates. Coincidence ?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	64557
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
I have just upgraded to Win10 and most items on the "Power User Command Menu" do not work if the menu is accessed by right-clicking the Start Menu button on the Task Bar. The only items that do work are Search, Run, Shut down and Desktop. If the...
I am using Windows 10 for around 2 days now. But today my computer freezed while playing a game, so i restarted my computer and when i logged in, the start menu,notification menu and metro apps would not open anymore. Whats is happening?
Either the Windows 10 start menu really sucks or I am using it wrong. I am used to the StartisBack/Windows 7 menu where you can pin anything and all applications will come up in search results. In the Windows 10 menu, I can't pin anything to the...
I have the Get Windows 10 App but I couldn't wait for it as I have limited internet access. I downloaded the 64-bit Media Creation Tool after selecting the option to download for this computer and when I ran it the first time, it started downloading...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06.
Find Us