Windows 10: A professional critique of Windows 10

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    06 Feb 2015 #11

    davehc said: View Post
    " it's absolutely clear what his bias is... he hates all things Metro, and wants to rid himself of them"

    Even worst, Mystere. If you browse you will find many entries for the guy, but hardly a one on Windows - all Linux.
    Actually, the guy is very prolific.. Most of his articles are Linux, but he does have a number of Windows articles... And even some halfways reasonable ones. For instance, he has a very reasonable one on the whole keylogger fiasco. So the guy can be reasonable when his baises are not so front and center.. but wow... Even if we take this article as somewhat satirical or at least a caricature of himself... the fact he gets so much stuff wrong makes it hard not to dismiss it outright.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    06 Feb 2015 #12

    Hi there

    I for one don't think the article is too bad -- he pointed out the VERY 2 Things that almost made me abandon the release -- The hideous search facility (but I got that back by re-installing the previous build's start menu - build 9879) and the wretchedness of having for some things to use an Ms account -- and if you DO revert back to a local account after setting up an Ms accuont you have to use a different name --NO NO NO a ZILLION TIMES NO THANKS.

    Otherwise the release so far is fine. I HATE the store with a passion - it's bad enough on Google or Apple - most of the apps are total CRAP. For windows I'm used to (and expect better) quality stuff.

    If you can essentially AVOID using the store, avoid using an MS account and re-install the re-sizeable menu (from release 9879) I think release 9926 is fine. At least the article was a reasonably intelligent one unlike some of the so called "Journalistic Stuff" that appears these days.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 Feb 2015 #13

    Mystere said: View Post
    What a narcissistic a-hole.
    Why are you so angry to start name calling?

    Are you of the opinion everyone should use a Microsoft account? Is Microsoft going to make their account logon a prerequisite to run Windows 10 after it is fully developed? They could save a lot of people a lot of time by stating what they're going to do. Do you know what the finished product will require?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 Feb 2015 #14

    Looey said: View Post
    Mystere said: View Post
    What a narcissistic a-hole.
    Why are you so angry to start name calling?

    Are you of the opinion everyone should use a Microsoft account? Is Microsoft going to make their account logon a prerequisite to run Windows 10 after it is fully developed? They could save a lot of people a lot of time by stating what they're going to do. Do you know what the finished product will require?
    Everyone does not have to use a Microsoft Account. Your argument is flawed from the beginning. But even if it did require it, it really would not be all that different from the direction of pretty much every other OS (not that i'm suggesting that I would want that situation, but at some point we have to accept that the world is becoming connected).

    I'm not angry, i'm pointing out that the guy is a complete jerk.. One doesn't have to be angry to point out that comments like "I'm the smartest man alive" and constantly crowing about "being right" about something he was not right about are the comments of a narcissistic a-hole.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,411
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Feb 2015 #15

    Here's another in depth review but this one may not be critical enough.

    Windows 10 review | Operating Systems Review | TechRadar

    and another one

    Microsoft Windows 10 Preview - CNET#!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Feb 2015 #16

    Wynona said: View Post
    Here's another in depth review but this one may not be critical enough.

    Windows 10 review | Operating Systems Review | TechRadar

    and another one

    Microsoft Windows 10 Preview - CNET#!
    Pretty reasonable review.. valid points in both directions... Recognizes that it's still "baking"... That's how a review should be done.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    06 Feb 2015 #17

    [QUOTE=Mystere;191958]
    Looey said: View Post
    Mystere said: View Post
    What a narcissistic a-hole.
    Why are you so angry to start name calling?

    Are you of the opinion everyone should use a Microsoft account? Is Microsoft going to make their account logon a prerequisite to run Windows 10 after it is fully developed? They could save a lot of people a lot of time by stating what they're going to do. Do you know what the finished product will require?
    Everyone does not have to use a Microsoft Account. Your argument is flawed from the beginning. But even if it did require it, it really would not be all that different from the direction of pretty much every other OS (not that i'm suggesting that I would want that situation, but at some point we have to accept that the world is becoming connected).

    Would you please point out why my question is flawed? I wasn't arguing. Have you installed build 9926 with a local account only and if so could you use the start menu, Cortana and the notification area? If you were successful I'd like to know how you did it without registry hacks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,468
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       06 Feb 2015 #18

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    I for one don't think the article is too bad -- he pointed out the VERY 2 Things that almost made me abandon the release -- The hideous search facility (but I got that back by re-installing the previous build's start menu - build 9879) and the wretchedness of having for some things to use an Ms account -- and if you DO revert back to a local account after setting up an Ms accuont you have to use a different name --NO NO NO a ZILLION TIMES NO THANKS.
    Agreed.

    Despite trying two clean installs and one "upgrade", my W10TP b9926 has various issues:
    • I can't stop W10 from doing Internet searches.
    • My network wouldn't share files without hacking the Registry.

    Note:
    My W10TP b9926 download hash matches MS' listed hash.

    As for anti-Windows bias, most of his Linux Distro reviews (that I've read) are similar to this W10 review.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 713
    Windows 10 Build 14267
       06 Feb 2015 #19

    A reasonable review doesn't have to be against or for anything, just have to be clear and objective about what matters. The article in first post obviously is very biased. That's my opinion ! Just it !

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,468
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       06 Feb 2015 #20

    Vladimir said: View Post
    A reasonable review doesn't have to be against or for anything, just have to be clear and objective about what matters. The article in first post obviously is very biased. That's my opinion ! Just it !
    Everybody is biased.
    It is a basic human trait.

    You obviously don't know many hardcore Linux users.
    Most of the ones I know, HATE Windows with a vengeance.

    Based on the things that Dedoimedo says in various articles (and the Linux tutorials) he is a hardcore Linux user.

    If you meet a hardcore Linux user and they say, "Windows 'Y' isn't too bad", that is actually spectacular praise.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I've tried restarting the wuauserv service, no luck. But, if this is a problem I can't fix, can I upgrade from the ISO? I don't want to do a clean install.
Hi On a computer that does not have an Internet connection, I installed Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 10130. Now, how do I switch to its Enterprise edition remembering that this computer does not have Internet? Thanks Bye
fbl_impressive Professional 10074 Will NOT Install - Error 0x80200068
Source: Mobile versus professional—thoughts on the Office business - Office Blogs
Anyone one else getting this :p
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:49.
Find Us